Rooty Hill
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Reading,Angels,Blue Sox,T.I.S.M.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

One of my favourite shows of all time!

youngones_1_396x222.jpg

Gutted. One of my childhood idols as a kid growing up.

His house will become a shrine, and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader.

And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The People's Poet is dead!"

And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, "Other kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?"

And we'll still have his comedy genius in our minds and hearts.

Wow! This is obviously a big farking shock, especially finding out on Big Footy!

The Young Ones blew my mind when I first saw it about 30 years ago. I'd never seen anything like it, probably because, for all I knew, there hadn't been anything like it before.

Before it came to tv here, a friend of mine got a video from England of a few episodes. I made all my other friends watch it.

My Dad's a Pom and, along with The Goodies, The Young Ones was his favourite comedy when I was a kid, so I have some pretty nostalgic memories of watching it with him back in the day. I even remember being a little traumatised by an episode where Viv punched some guy and left him with a bleeding nose while he was tied to a stake.

Sucks getting older and seeing these guys from your childhood starting to die off.

Only 56 as well - way too soon. RIP Rik, forever a Young One now.

Just saw that and am deeply saddened. An icon of my childhood.

And why are the children crying?

"Haven't you heard, Rik is dead, The People's Poet is dead :( And they'll build a shrine....". At least we still have his poems and all of his works.

Edit: just saw Post #3.

Can't believe it, he was only 56. I know he nearly died in that bad skiing accident in 1998, wonder if he really recovered.

My Dad's a Pom and, along with The Goodies, The Young Ones was his favourite comedy when I was a kid,

Will always be a favourite, my kids wore out the Young Ones dvds I owned, and the goodies are on high rotation as well. Quality lasts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets be honest, he made his fame by being a dikhead, there was no particular genius about him apart from everyone tried so hard for so long to be funny in a cosmopolitan kind of way, a bogan being very loud and very bogan and very stupid, became funny.

It really was a form of racism laughing at Rik Mayall and the young ones,.

Lets be honest, he made his fame by being a dikhead, there was no particular genius about him apart from everyone tried so hard for so long to be funny in a cosmopolitan kind of way, a bogan being very loud and very bogan and very stupid, became funny.

I've read this sentence five times now and I'm still struggling.

Sad news. The Young Ones wasn't technically my generation, but having siblings from that era made them part of my child hood too. I must have watched that Living Doll clip thousands of times. Also loved Drop Dead Fred as a young un, and more recently Guest House Paradiso had me pissing myself.

Very very sad when I heard the news this morning. Will be re-watching the New Statesman later tonight, everything a politician should aspire to.

RIP Alan B'stard/Lord Flashheart.

"Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out I'm missing, five hundred girls will kill themselves. And I wouldn't want them on my conscience, not when they ought to be on my *face*! Hello? Cancel the state funeral, tell the king to stop blubbing, Flash is not dead! I simply ran out of juice! And before five hundred girls all go 'oh, what's the point in living any more?' I'm talking about petrol! Woof! Send someone along to pick me up. General Melchett's driver will do, she hangs round with a big knob so she'll be used to a fellow like me. Woof!"

:(

It really was a form of racism laughing at Rik Mayall and the young ones,.

Now let's be really honest. The genius of humour is being able to unlock that in people which makes them laugh.

He was a genius at connecting with millions of people.

People like you know nothing about humour because you're incapable of being humorous yourself.

So to you...

tumblr_m1xfutp3qn1qauieso1_1280.jpg

Whats with the personal attacks, i must of hit the nail on the head....again.

They aren't personal, they are observations.

You know, like how you observed things about Rik Mayall that as it seems nobody agrees with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back