Preview Rnd 10 - Carlton v Hawks Sat May 22 at 1.45 at MCG - Team Post #357

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ins to consider:
TDK, SPS, DOW, LOB, SOS, Honey, is Martin good to go?

Outs to consider:
Williams, (he’s not quite right) Gibbo, Parks, Pittonet, Casboult,

Despite this there will only one or two changes maximum.

Its like watching the AFL Amazon video when Simpson says 'Carlton are up for the fight early but not the battle' (or something like that) - Clarkson would just tell his hawks 'Carlton are soft as butter - just go hard and you'll win'
Yeah. We'll win though.

I can't see any way Dow comes in this week - his last VFL game was spent entirely on ball without laying a single tackle. I know there was a bye for the reserves so he hasn't had a chance to respond, but frankly I don't care.

Coming around to Honey getting a go, he does lead up hard at the ball which will help free up some more space for Harry (if he plays), Levi and hopefully TDK. He'll also complement Owies and Betts who should be able to capitalise more often if there's one less smaller defender near goals. Some extra tackle pressure won't hurt either, nor will having another forward who can actually split the sticks.

TDK must play, non-negotiable. Was an emergency on the weekend so was presumably fit enough, even if not 100% ready to go.

JSOS should be straight back in, and I'd have him replace Murph. Marc can take the sub vest.

Newman, Jones, Plowman
Saad, Weitering, Williams
Cottrell, Cripps, Docherty
TDK, Walsh, Curnow
Honey, Casboult, JSOS
Betts, McKay, Owies
I/C: Fogarty, Stocker, Parks, Setterfield
SUB: Murphy

Backline doesn't need more tinkering - let them adjust again to Doc being up the ground.
Midfield has been problematic, but we started to address it by playing Doc and Stocker through there, so again we just need to give that time - and can't understate how big a difference TDK could make in our ability to take the ball from the centre.
Forward line is a constant work in progress, and if we're playing without our preferred talls, or with them below their best, then we need to surround them with as many goal kickers as possible to spread the load.
Players need to get over themselves and start embracing Stocker.

Last edited:
Not going to happen but wouldn't mind seeing 4 changes

in - TDK, jsos, Obrien, dow
out - pittonet, Cunningham, cottrell, gibbons

Parks/fogarty looking like they need a rest at some point as well...
Don't mind those changes.
I mean why wouldn't you, we get an extra player in the squad...

Travelling down for this one. As someone who travels from interstate and only sees 6-10 games a year I've been at a few of our coach killer games unfortunately, Gold Coast with Ratts, Essendon with Bolts and when Malthouse lost to Collingwood by 100 odd putting the nail in the coffin for him. I hope that's not an omen.

We just HAVE TO WIN this and have to pinch one of Sydney or WCE before the bye or its all over for 2021 and probably for various staff in the coaching panel come seasons end.

Barker will survive, have said this before, if there's a nuclear war the only things that would survive are cockroaches and Barker.

FB: Plowman - Jones - Parks
HB: Saad - Weitering - Williams

C: O’Brien - Cripps - Docherty
OB: Pittonet - Setterfield - Walsh

HF: SPS - JSilvagni - Fogarty
FF: Betts - McKay - De Koning

Interchange
Newman (D), Stocker (OB), ECurnow (W/OB) and Owies (F)

Sub
Gibbons

SPS in for Cuningham
De Koning in for Casboult
JSilvagni in for Murphy
O’Brien in for Cottrell

But we all know it’ll be Gibbons in for Cuningham with Newnes as the sub.

Not sure wheree
I mean why wouldn't you, we get an extra player in the squad...
Not sure who the extra player you refer to is.

The changes were - 4 in/4 out (including sub). It then comes down to who is the sub - which then could be one of those 4, or alternatively say fogerty/parks who look like they are needing a rest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This week could represent the greatest discrepancy in coaching acumen since crazy Vossy was blowing up the Lions. Clarkson will have a field day with Teague.

the lack of appreciation from other players for Stocker’s goal is really dispiriting. Since the 2013 team this is one of the least likeable units we’ve had - much less so than the early Bolton teams.

IN - JSOS, TDK
OUT - Cuningham (Inj), Pit/Levi, Gibbons (Sub)

Would like to see Honey in purely to add some more speed into the forward mix - mentioned in the autopsy we look quite slow up there with our small forwards all one paced. I know he hasn't bashed the door down but I think it's something we need especially with Cuners now out.

Would prefer Dow in over Setterfield but its much of a muchness to be honest.

Bring in someone else as the sub - Gibbons needs 2s footy to find some form.

Could be mistaken, but I think we've got a Saturday senior game and Sunday reserves game this week -- so if the medical sub goes unused they could still play reserves.

Its like watching the AFL Amazon video when Simpson says 'Carlton are up for the fight early but not the battle' (or something like that) - Clarkson would just tell his hawks 'Carlton are soft as butter - just go hard and you'll win'

This will be Hawthorn’s Grand Final this year, Clarkson will ensure that the Hawks will throw the proverbial kitchen sink at us - knowing our reputation in that club precedes us.

This will be Hawthorn’s Grand Final this year, Clarkson will ensure that the Hawks will throw the proverbial kitchen sink at us - knowing our reputation in that club precedes us.
They don’t need it to be their grand final, they just need a plan.

guarantee if you polled coaches on who the easiest team to plan against would be there might be one club easier than us, but there wouldn’t be more than two.

SPS - Cunningham like for like to play as forward/mid, please no defensive tag crap
TDK - Casboult(surely he gets dropped after another stinker)
SOS - Gibbons
LOB - Cottrell - if Lob can’t play a decent game against Phillips then he doesn’t deserve to be on the list.
Sub - Murphy

Hopefully Harry is fit enough to play, a forward line of TDK, Casboult, Silvagni, half cooked Betts, Owies & Fogarty doesn’t inspire a huge amount of confidence.

Not going to happen but wouldn't mind seeing 4 changes

in - TDK, jsos, Obrien, dow
out - pittonet, Cunningham, cottrell, gibbons

Parks/fogarty looking like they need a rest at some point as well...

Rest during the week with lighter training loads.

These two are must haves in the side.

Stick with a team that will build together, bleed together, triumph together and stop trying to keep everyone happy short term with 'safe' team selection that has got us effing nowhere this last 5 years.

Bolton would have stuck by the kids. Dow and O'Brien would have developed and be serious contributors like Brayshaw and Cerra are for Freo.

This club is safe and gutless.

SPS - Cunningham like for like to play as forward/mid, please no defensive tag crap
TDK - Casboult(surely he gets dropped after another stinker)
SOS - Gibbons
LOB - Cottrell - if Lob can’t play a decent game against Phillips then he doesn’t deserve to be on the list.
Sub - Murphy

Hopefully Harry is fit enough to play, a forward line of TDK, Casboult, Silvagni, half cooked Betts, Owies & Fogarty doesn’t inspire a huge amount of confidence.
SPS for cuningham is a pretty good move. Play him in that hff/Mid role

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

the lack of appreciation from other players for Stocker’s goal is really dispiriting. Since the 2013 team this is one of the least likeable units we’ve had - much less so than the early Bolton teams.
That was so shitty, hardly anyone got around him.

SPS for Cunners makes the most sense

JSOS, TKD pick themselves.

I’d like to see Dow in as well

Murphy dropped and picked as the medical sub. Gibbons dropped.

Parks omit & Levi needs a rest

Newman - Jones - Plow
Williams - Weiters - Saad

Doc - Crippa - Cottrell
Pitto - Curnow - Walsh

SPS - TKD - Fog
Betts - McKay - JSOS

Setters - Dow - Stock - Owies

Sub Murphy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agro - Clarkson can throw 30 players at us. It won’t make a difference, as the master, doesn’t have the cattle and hence can’t do jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back