Preview RND 16 - Carlton v Freo Saturday July 3rd 7.40pm AEST @ MCG - Team - Post #526

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below average marks, below average second ruck hit outs, below average disposal efficiency, above average free kicks against and below average footy IQ (subjective).

He's been nothing but a liability all year yet he's thrown back in after Teague himself said he liked the makeshift ruck combo just yesterday.

It's truly baffling. He may well be high on confidence and give something but the risk to reward makes no sense to me.
No allowances made for the obvious knee injury that he was carrying early on?

I understand that once you take the field you are considered fit etc, but did take 14 marks in the reserves 2 weeks ago which would suggest that his touch (and maybe his mobility) is on the way back.

Provided he can hold his marks, CASBOULT could be a good in for us, to stretch and exploit Freo's undermanned and short (due to injuries) backline.
I feel like people have been saying this for a decade.
The reality is in approx. 20% of his over 150 games of AFL he has shown any semblance of this.

At no stage in his career has he been anything more than a list clogger, and it is a blight on our club that 10 years later he is still not only on the list, but being selected.

The good bloke, and great club man stuff whilst maybe true, just doesn't put points on the board to win games.

IDM Willo being in tbh, but just perplexing based on recent form. Not fair on the boys.
Willo been playing really angry and aggressive the last 2 weeks, has crossed the line on occasions and given away dumb free kicks. Maybe the coaches have encouraged this (not the free's) and we might see a different AFL player this week.

Willo been playing really angry and aggressive the last 2 weeks, has crossed the line on occasions and given away dumb free kicks. Maybe the coaches have encouraged this (not the free's) and we might see a different AFL player this week.
Did notice that on the weekend against the bullants. I love what he brings at AFL level and hope it turns out to be a good selection.

‘Play players in their natural positions’ they said.

We have tall brought in For structure and two like for like inclusions in Newman and Williamson.

But nah let’s have a tanty and throw the toys out the cot coz our fav up n comer isn’t in the side so you can’t say, ‘Told you so told you so’ on an Internet forum.

Would take the magnets moving around significantly for them to come in then would likely go straight back out when Williams comes back next week..

Our team looked better last week. Let’s try repeat that. Not change everything.

Below average marks, below average second ruck hit outs, below average disposal efficiency, above average free kicks against and below average footy IQ (subjective).

He's been nothing but a liability all year yet he's thrown back in after Teague himself said he liked the makeshift ruck combo just yesterday.

It's truly baffling. He may well be high on confidence and give something but the risk to reward makes no sense to me.
Has to be the Lobbe factor 5 minutes a quarter in the ruck that tipped the balance towards Cas .
We recorded our 2nd most inside 50 marks v Adelaide for the season so the connection was pretty good and pressured better inside 50 imo .
Although i think the pressuring was most likely as a consequence of having both Cas and Murph out of the forwardline .
Teague stated he liked the change hopefully it doesnt lead to changing mindsets and bombing long to Harry and exiting our fwd 50 with ease with the Cas inclusion .

We have tall brought in For structure and two like for like inclusions in Newman and Williamson.

But nah let’s have a tanty and throw the toys out the cot coz our fav up n comer isn’t in the side so you can’t say, ‘Told you so told you so’ on an Internet forum.

Would take the magnets moving around significantly for them to come in then would likely go straight back out when Williams comes back next week..

Well said.

I'm sorry but I cannot agree with the suggestion that Levi is A. A target up forward or B. A Ruckman. He has deadset been a witches hat all year.

The fact he is an automatic in based on height over performance is what is wrong with Carlton. We have 0 selection integrity.

The fact Ramsey hasn't had a game and Honey hasn't come in is an absolute disgrace.
Agree whilst Casboult may provide a tall target, he is a very predictable player up forward, he is basically useless when the ball hits the ground and for a night game in winter, a smaller/less predictable forward line is likely to be more effective, in particular if we are selecting players on form he would not be in the team, we should be taking a longer term view and looking to find players for the future, why not try some players that may be part of 2022 and beyond.

I knew this would happen. I've been obliged to engage in an activity I typically despise - actual research.

Here are our F50 marks, entries and tackles per round.

Rd M50 I50 T50

1 10 41 2
2 13 60 9
3 20 64 13
4 6 56 9
5 14 57 9
6 12 58 8
7 13 57 8
8 11 44 6
9 6 53 21
10 9 60 9
11 9 44 9
12 16 47 4
14 8 49 6
15 19 54 11

Levi didn't play in Rds 12,14,15.

In those three rounds we had two of our three highest F50 mark totals, and had our two highest % for Marks per I50 (34 and 35%).

So if you think somehow Levi helps our forward line by providing a 'target', and 'structure' - and you think that 'providing a contest' brings the 'smalls in for pressure and holding it in' congratulations - you've just graduated from the David Teague school of coaching yourself out of a career.

But we played without a witches hat up forward last week. One ruck with a pinch hit and we were fine :/

Agree whilst Casboult may provide a tall target, he is a very predictable player up forward, he is basically useless when the ball hits the ground and for a night game in winter, a smaller/less predictable forward line is likely to be more effective, in particular if we are selecting players on form he would not be in the team, we should be taking a longer term view and looking to find players for the future, why not try some players that may be part of 2022 and beyond.
Right? And the ruck relief argument is a moot point. He averages 5 per game, wow. He runs in Harry's leading lanes all too often, there's potential for him to hurt Harry or hurt himself when you do this.

If he marks it, without impeding Harry - chances are he misses it anyway. Yes, his G:B ratio is okay - but his G:B:OOO ratio is appalling.

Really questionable selection.

Ramsay one good game in the VFL, chuck the kid in everyone says. How about we see a block of decent games before promoting a young kid.

Honey did nothing last week, and has been relatively quiet for most games this year. He bobs up for a few goals. We want to see him dominant at VFL before at throw him to the wolves.

Willo in a bit strange, is like for like though so hopefully he goes ok.

Why so much hate for Williamson ? He has been an honest and reliable foot soldier for this footy club.
He really hasn't been. He showed promise as a dashing halfback made of the right stuff and a great left foot. Then injuries beleaguered him for years and now it looks like he's lost a step or 2 in speed and agility and isn't as confident in his kick.

At no point has he been a reliable foot soldier.

It's such a shame because we thought we'd found one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right? And the ruck relief argument is a moot point. He averages 5 per game, wow. He runs in Harry's leading lanes all too often, there's potential for him to hurt Harry or hurt himself when you do this.

If he marks it, without impeding Harry - chances are he misses it anyway. Yes, his G:B ratio is okay - but his G:B:OOO ratio is appalling.

Really questionable selection.
So you are not happy with selection?

Fortunately you haven't made a big deal if it.

He really hasn't been. He showed promise as a dashing halfback made of the right stuff and a great left foot. Then injuries beleaguered him for years and now it looks like he's lost a step or 2 in speed and agility and isn't as confident in his kick.

At no point has he been a reliable foot soldier.

It's such a shame because we thought we'd found one.
Does that mean he can never be a decent footballer ever again in the future?

Seems to me like a heap if people on here are just lining themselves up to do the "I told you he was no good" after the game.

Pretty piss poor to operate if you ask me.

Does that mean he can never be a decent footballer ever again in the future?

Seems to me like a heap if people on here are just lining themselves up to do the "I told you he was no good" after the game.

Pretty piss poor to operate if you ask me.
Nope, it doesn't mean that, and I didn't say that.

Ramsay one good game in the VFL, chuck the kid in everyone says. How about we see a block of decent games before promoting a young kid.

Honey did nothing last week, and has been relatively quiet for most games this year. He bobs up for a few goals. We want to see him dominant at VFL before at throw him to the wolves.

Agree. Ramsay is also a rake, will get battered if we threw him to the wolves.
Developing nicely, let's stick to the plan.

Willo is a mature body ready to go, break glass in case of emergency.
Hopefully he grabs the chance with both hands. I fear for his opponent, put it that way.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Im not too worried about selection.

One really good thing that we saw last week was that our f50 entries weren’t always directed at H. Several times we went to Martin. This is not something we’ve seen in a while and it was terrific. Let’s keep doing this. Particularly when Levi plays up front to avoid both him and H competing for same mark. It is my biggest wtf moment when cas and H go up for same mark but both miss out. They don’t seem to be able to work as a team when both going up. So they should run into their own spaces so ball carrier has options and can select the better one.

So you are not happy with selection?

Fortunately you haven't made a big deal if it.
General sentiment from supporters is that it's a bad selection. You're the wrong one, regardless of what you'd like to believe. As I said, I'm sure Pav sighed when he saw this.

The supporters on this forum are still clearly living in the glory days, some of us haven’t seen success and have given time and money to a brand that are simply shocking, these are horrible ins and that’s that. “Support them at all costs” shut up, as I said we have supported them through the roughest s**t and they consistently dish it up. I’d rather feed games into kids, hasn’t worked in the past but it brings me more joy then seeing Levi produce two good constests a game and retain his spot, and willo hit one lace out target and everyone is on a chub for the next month.

I’ve seen quite a bit of Ramsay as a junior… like every talented kid he was a gun midfielder at that level….

He is a free spirited player…fast and picks the ball up quickly and gets it onto his boot….. I think Carlton could do themselves a favour and play him as a smallish forward (182cm is smallish these days)…. He would be definitely good for a goal or two a game and provide forward pressure…..

To me every selection needs to work to the next premiership…. I think Eddie Betts has been brilliant… but the Blues won’t win this premiership and unfortunately for Eddie he won’t be in their next one either….
I’d pick Ramma in that role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The supporters on this forum are still clearly living in the glory days, some of us haven’t seen success and have given time and money to a brand that are simply shocking, these are horrible ins and that’s that. “Support them at all costs” shut up, as I said we have supported them through the roughest sh*t and they consistently dish it up. I’d rather feed games into kids, hasn’t worked in the past but it brings me more joy then seeing Levi produce two good constests a game and retain his spot, and willo hit one lace out target and everyone is on a chub for the next month.
Correct - in 27 years the best moment I can recall as a Carlton supporter was Chris Judds goal on the run against Richmond in that EF. A EF we weren't even meant to be in.

Of course, we should support our club. However, it's good to be critical of organisations you support. We don't get any better by staying the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back