Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sat April 16th 7.25PM @ MCG - Team Post #765

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think they’d bring cunners in yet. Had a good game last week by all reports but didn’t play this week due to concussion protocols. I’d expect they want at least 2 consecutive good games from him before promotion. Dow and setters have really locked themselves into this team somehow, so can’t be pushed out based on 1 game.

Kennedy for Dow would work also as kennedy has proven himself a very handy mid sized forward.

Kennedy and Williams for Dow and setters for mine. Gov in if sos is out. O Mac in for Levi.

I like those changes, but I can't see them making 4 changes (3 unforced) to a team that's won 2 in a row, unfortunately. :(

Thought Setterfield was good when he started in centre bounces. Is an elite extractor with his hands but needs to be inside to utilise this.

Dow’s confidence looks a little shot at the moment. Maybe a spell in the 2s as a FT midfielder to work on his game and see him back later in the year.
Then the choice is simple. Play Setters in the guts where we know he does well or drop him so not to kill his confidence by continuing to play him in a position foreign to him. Teague needs to take responsibility for his diminishing performances and not playing Setters to his strengths.

Likewise Samo. How good does he look when he plays up the ground? Looks like he has all he time in the world and holds on to the ball until the right option comes along. Surely he deserves a shot playing in the centre as our mids gave us nothing last night despite our rucking dominance with the poor decision making and disposal inside our forward 50. Samo needs to teach them how to lower their eyes when passing.

Cas continues to get a game by default. Should start and stay on the bench unless brought on as rucking support. Offers us little as a forward and removing him might force our mids to kick short to leads instead of long bombing. Yes looking at you Curnow.

Murphy had a good game against the little kids but will struggle against Port and their contested game. Wont be dropped (I think club's priority is to get him to 300 games) but I will watch him closely against a likely top 4 team. Looking forward to a robust discussion on his performance next week.

Can I suggest we drop our defence coach. Under no circumstances should Plowman take the kick ins. I suggest we try Saad instead or Williamson when playing. I think in the first quarter Plow kicked two half volley short passes which put his team mate under pressure.

Under no circumstances should Liam be allowed to kick short into the corridor. In fact, Liam's kicking licence should be revoked. First option handball to team mate running past or kick it long along the boundary line

Our midfield set up is a disaster. We are getting beaten in the stoppages despite dominating the hit outs.
A few here gave Curnow bog without even considering the impact of his direct opponent. Dow needs to be dropped for Williams. Had his chance against kids to show us something. Need both Cuningham if fit and Williams back in the side.

Dow is actually showing signs of improving. His major weakness is his running and chasing. In patches this year I’ve worried he’s getting nowhere..\but on balance he is definitely chasing much better.

he will lose his spot to Williams next week but I think a month in the vfl to clean up his touch will help him a lot.

Ive not given up on him yet. I am actually more confident about him now. He’s getting zero on ball time and he’s not a multi positional player. On ball or nothing for him. That’s fine. He can keep working on his game. The 5th midfield spot is still open. He can definitely force his way back in there and move Setters to the vfl. Just won’t be this week.

Sorry windows but you can't be "on-ball or nothing" and be the 5th midfielder. If he is incapable of playing anywhere other than the middle then he needs to break into the top 3 next to Cripps and Walsh - which he is just so far off it's not funny.

Dow was virtually invisible last night. He has been given 4 games to show improvement but he just doesn't seem to get any better. Still looks uncomfortable at this level. Maybe he always will be. Serious concerns on him now. He needs to be dropped, and the same goes for Setterfield.
We're all Carlton fans but the desperate defending and protection of Dow is getting just that, desperate.

Let's be real for a minute, it's very, very rare for a midfielder with so many deficiencies at AFL level turn it around after 4+ years in the system. It's not like he's close to breaking out, it's not like he's having 1 great game and 3 bad ones, he's a long, long way off to being a full-time AFL standard midfielder.. After each week we like to be optimistic so we're forced to search pretty hard for positives.

He struggles with his tank, his kicking is sub-VFL standard and he's low on confidence. His hands and vision seem to be AFL-standard but it's worthless if you can't really find the ball, either. Unfortunately the inside mid role is also taken.

Does this mean he's some sort of Carlton villain? No. Does it mean he's a failure? No. Does it mean Carlton have failed him? No. Does it mean we, as fans want him to fail? Absolutely not.

To me he's just a high pick who's struggling, and will continue to struggle at AFL level. It happens in basically every draft.

Last edited:
I reckon we get port on an off week this game, tired bodies after a hard fought win over quality opposition and they will look at our form and think they will get it done without playing their best. We also match up on them well based on last years game, fingers crossed they don't use that as motivation to get up against us though.

If they come out with intent this week after a rocket during the week for their lack of it against the GC we are in with a serious chance, if they are content with winning a couple of games in a row and show the same as the GC or Pies games they will get done regardless of what port rocks up.

We are getting them a good time. They’re going in with plenty of injuries, away from Adelaide and after a grinding win against Richmond.

Big opportunity.

In: Williams, McGovern
Out: Dow, JSOS

Kennedy too, must come in.

Pick on merit not favouritism....i would play kennedy before Guv quite frankly.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in strife if JSOS misses.

Makes us a much better side every time he plays.

He's far from "Best 22 every week!", he's one of our most important players now.

I reckon this bloke is about as close we've got to a like for like replacement, should the club decide to persist with Dow.

McGovern is a very different type of player. Plays taller despite being shorter.

Or does JSOS play smaller despite being taller?

Looking for a bit of advice/info in ticketing

Thinking of taking the family along to this match or more likely the following week against the Lions.

I'm obviously a member, and have signed my wife up this year also. Both the kids (3&5) have the kids memberships but I don't think they are actually admittance to games memberships.

I've seen the AFLs info pages on ticketing just seeing what others experiences have been.

Do I need to wait to the general admission timing so I can book all 4 seats together? Or can I book all 4 in one of the earlier priorities for members?

Any info would be good, otherwise I'll just call the club tomorrow.

Thanks gang

Time for the match committee to send Dow to the reserves and tell him to dominate there for a few weeks, and there'll be a senior spot waiting for him if he does.

Looking for a bit of advice/info in ticketing

Thinking of taking the family along to this match or more likely the following week against the Lions.

I'm obviously a member, and have signed my wife up this year also. Both the kids (3&5) have the kids memberships but I don't think they are actually admittance to games memberships.

I've seen the AFLs info pages on ticketing just seeing what others experiences have been.

Do I need to wait to the general admission timing so I can book all 4 seats together? Or can I book all 4 in one of the earlier priorities for members?

Any info would be good, otherwise I'll just call the club tomorrow.

Thanks gang
Aphrodite

We have pretty good recent form against this mob. 16 point loss in 2019. “That” loss last year. 21 pt loss in 2018.

Their MCG form is 50/50 - 4 games in the last 3 years for 2 wins & 2 losses.

they’ll be going in to it without 2 of their better players - Butters and Duursma. Rozee also played out the game hurt - unsure what it was.

this game will tell us we’re really at. 2 disappointing losses to start the year and we’ve since bounced back against two weaker sides. Were the first two games just a slow start to the year? Or are we simply a middle-of-the-table side? This game will tell us.

on our home turf. Against a side with some key players missing. I’m expecting a win. Blues by 11.

Go baggers!

Doubtful I know, however I wonder if we could see Murph return to the midfield this week. Murph in for Dow/ Setters. Dow dropped for maybe someone like Philp? Fitness for Philp could be an issue. Again, unlikely but lack of depth In the midfield already becoming an issue. Geeze I wish we had Kemp available.

What I think they do: Gov and Williams in for JSOS and Dow.

What they should do: In addition to the above - Setters out for Stocker.

Kennedy as media sub.

Hopefully Saad, Plow and Gibbo pull up OK.

As much as he’s a liability Levi gets another game for structural reasons. I’m counting down the days to when TDK is back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Doubtful I know, however I wonder if we could see Murph return to the midfield this week. Murph in for Dow/ Setters. Dow dropped for maybe someone like Philp? Fitness for Philp could be an issue. Again, unlikely but lack of depth In the midfield already becoming an issue. Geeze I wish we had Kemp available.

I actually like Murph in his current role. Just don’t think he can be effective in a stoppage situation anymore, just gets bumped off the ball too easily for mine. If we’re looking to make a change I think it’s Kennedy or Stocker as inside mid options. Can’t play all of Kennedy/Setters/Ed/Cripps in the same team due to lack of pace, but if Setters comes out MK could come in.
Like the idea of Philp when he’s fit, playing that HFF role and chasing/pressuring like Cottrell does.
All that said, the fact that we won (and that Setters was rushed back into the team once fit) means that we’ll be conservative at MC again. Only forced changes. Maybe Plow and JSOS out, replaced by Willo & Williams.

SPP - Suspension - 4 Weeks
Goldsack - Knee - 6 Weeks
Bonner - Hamstring - 4 Weeks
Pasini - Shoulder Reco - 12 weeks
Marshall - Ankle - ?
Butters - Ankle - 2-8 Weeks
Fantasia - Ankle - ?
Duursma - Knee - 6-8 Weeks
Clurey - Cork - OK
Aliir - Cork - OK
Rozee - Cork - ?

Status