AFL Autopsy RND 6: Beaten by the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you throw Hind forward Ant? Or persist with putting him back in the VFL to find form from HB?
I have my doubts he is any good as a forward but he could well be a short term fix. He could not get it going for the Saints as a forward but hey it is worth a try.

How do we win every stat and lose the game?

This club has bean failing for that long they've forgotten how to win.

every stat but the one that counted on the night.

kicking goals.

How do we win every stat and lose the game?

This club has bean failing for that long they've forgotten how to win.
The only important stat is scoring more than the opposition.

I couldn't care less about any other stats, meaningless.

We seem to have no idea what our best 22 is and our injuries haven’t helped us settle at all. It’s no wonder that our team structures are failing all over the field.

We need move Cox behind the ball as he doesn’t have the confidence to make the play in the forward half. He has height, reach and athleticism so give him a go at CHB and let him sit behind the ball.

We need to play a second ruckman. I know Phillips is injured but we looked much better with him in the side against Adelaide. It enables us to have an out when we are forced down the line and ensures Wright can stay forward.

We need to move McGrath to the backline. He is much better reading the play and has the agility to shut down an opponent and play off him when the opportunity presents. There’s nothing wrong with some stints in the midfield here and there.

We need to keep Baldwin in the VFL for a consistent patch (I.e 10+ games) to learn his craft. Still a way off AFL level.

We really need Reid and Jones to be in the senior side after the bye (injury permitting) as these two are critical KPP to our structures and future.

We need to have some hard conservations with OOCs Heppell, Hurley, AMT and Francis as the year goes on.

If we can line up as follows toward the end of the year then I am sure we will see better results and give us a platform to 2023:

Ridley Reid Laverde
Redman Cox McGrath
Durham Merrett Martin
Stringer Jones Perkins
Tex Wright Snelling
Draper Parish Caldwell

Phillips Hobbs Shiel Kelly
Hind
Spot on

Our forward line is unbalanced like our midfield has been. As Ant said mainly average to below average pace guys making the opposition defenders look good. At least Waterman looks a natural forward with class but he will need to keep kicking bags to be long term given his lack of defensive pressure.

Hopefully we can do something like freo and nab 2 or 3 guys with a bit of toe who can kick, tackle and find the ball without spending a heap. Was really hoping we would find some in the last draft but I guess it will take time and they may have been hoping for Smith to return to some form, Walla to be out there and Ham to develop some sort of physicality.

Hind has lost confidence down back so maybe just put him forward as suggested and tell him goals don't matter just chase and tackle like a crazy man and anything else is a bonus.

I have my doubts he is any good as a forward but he could well be a short term fix. He could not get it going for the Saints as a forward but hey it is worth a try.
even as a negative role. get him to use his pace to chase and pressure
I'd have Redman closer to goal (HF or wing) to do the same.

Need Jones back though. lack of marking targets is hurting.
Baldwin & Waterman in the same side slows us down more than we already afford.

Hind has lost confidence down back so maybe just put him forward as suggested and tell him goals don't matter just chase and tackle like a crazy man and anything else is a bonus.
I wonder if the game has evolved beyond the role that Hind (Saad and McKenna) previously played so effectively for us. In the Freo v Carlton game Saad's run was also restricted and his rebound was minimal. Blues also thrashed by Freo, just like us.

at the very least, he offers some pressure. even if not scoring goals, he's keeping the opposition from the quick, easy slingshot.
When we did apply pressure to the pies, we forced turnovers.

I wonder if the game has evolved beyond the role that Hind (Saad and McKenna) previously played so effectively for us. In the Freo v Carlton game Saad's run was also restricted and his rebound was minimal. Blues also thrashed by Freo, just like us.

Not sure if it's evolved beyond it, but teams are putting more effort on defending it, especially when there's only one outlet player.

Saad + McKenna was much harder to defend because you had two of them, Hind individually and Saad individually are much easier to stop.

Not sure if it's evolved beyond it, but teams are putting more effort on defending it, especially when there's only one outlet player.

Saad + McKenna was much harder to defend because you had two of them, Hind individually and Saad individually are much easier to stop.
I don't know whether Carlton have more than one outlet player but we have Redman playing a similar role which has also been less successful this year. That led me to speculate whether teams are now playing more of a Melbourne game plan than a Richmond game plan (which is what I meant by "evolved").

I don't know whether Carlton have more than one outlet player but we have Redman playing a similar role which has also been less successful this year. That led me to speculate whether teams are now playing more of a Melbourne game plan than a Richmond game plan (which is what I meant by "evolved").

Redman isn't a line-breaking player in the way Hind and Saad are, he's happy to run but it's not the driving force behind how he plays like Saad, McKenna and Hind are.

If Redman was reliably damaging teams might be forced to put more attention in to him, but without that turn of pace I'm not sure he draws the defensive focus off Hind. His last two games have been much improved though, so fingers crossed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redman isn't a line-breaking player in the way Hind and Saad are, he's happy to run but it's not the driving force behind how he plays like Saad, McKenna and Hind are.

If Redman was reliably damaging teams might be forced to put more attention in to him, but without that turn of pace I'm not sure he draws the defensive focus off Hind. His last two games have been much improved though, so fingers crossed.
My point stemmed from the quote which said that Hind was out of form - which of course may also be true. But if the decline in form is due to lack of confidence in this role then the role needs to change - as others have said - before the form changes. Agree with you about Redman - he was one of our best in the last two games but has not had the same impact going forward this year as he did last season.

So apparently we need wallpapers to remind us of this great occasion 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

So is this one to remind us grandpa Sidebottom had the better of Cox on the wing ? :p

So is this one to remind us grandpa Sidebottom had the better of Cox on the wing ? :p
I think it’s to remind us that Fujitsu was on the back of the guernsey this year.

They even added an extra Fujitsu watermark at the bottom of the wallpaper just in case you missed the one on Draper’s jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back