AFL Autopsy RND 6: Beaten by the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

A few people have mentioned the lack of forward line pressure today hurt us (it did) 3 forward 50 tackles ffs is putrid, but it's not just the forward line that is lacking pressure, it's all over the ground that's hurting us massively, have a guess which game this year we won the tackle count??? Thats right, the one and only win for the year Adelaide.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure we hadn't scored from a turnover up till 3qtr time, I'm not sure how the game finished with that stat but that's a massive scoring option in today's footy, if your not putting pressure on then that stat stands out like dogs balls.

Cody Weightman said it's a skill. You know, like kicking and hand balling
Reminds me of soccer It's a terrible look for the game. I'd love to see free kicks against or fines for the worst offenders. But it's just one more thing for the umpires to adjudicate and will probably utensil it up more often than not.

Jack of all trades, but a master of none.
I feel this is another List Management achievement.

Durham looks like a good honest player. Like Brayden Ham. Like Matt Guelfi. Like Alec Waterman. Like Brandon Zerk - Thatcher. Like, well, yeah. You get my point..

We pick nice players. Honest players. How many of these guys are ever going to be stars? better than average players? We can't be carrying as many as we do. Forget about having a 'success' like Waterman. Take a punt on a kid who could eventuate into something. We hang out hat on players who contribute but don't dominate outside our very select few stars.

Reminds me of soccer It's a terrible look for the game. I'd love to see free kicks against or fines for the worst offenders. But it's just one more thing for the umpires to adjudicate and will probably utensil it up more often than not.

Yep. Game is over umpired and FAR TO MUCH GREY to have decisions made on the run like it is

Easy to answer when you are at the game on level 3. The other sides are setting up a midfield zone and we are either not working hard enough to find space or the young blokes are not confident to take the game on. The game plan has not really changed. Other sides know we want to play on through the middle so that is where they set their zone. We are being forced to play slow footy down the line and we do not have the players that can keep working to the outside.
One example of this was Durham at around the 5 minute mark so so in the last quarter. Had two players free in the middle but he did not go there he waited and kicked long to a 4 on 2.
The have lost confidence in what they are doing. It does not help that when we do break free there is a dodgy handball or a kick that goes straight to the opposition defenders. We end up out of position and unable to defend.
Had the same vantage point today.
Pies seemed largely happy to let us win the clearances. They set up to attack us from half back.
Or from outside the stoppage once we fumbled it.
A functional forward line wouldnt go astray

Had the same vantage point today.
Pies seemed largely happy to let us win the clearances. They set up to attack us from half back.
Or from outside the stoppage once we fumbled it.
A functional forward line wouldnt go astray
Mobile marking forwards is severely lacking. Wright often found centre wing leading for the ball.

Beat ourselves, handballing to blokes under pressure is our forte. Don't panic, the future's good.
De Goey should be our recruiting target. Stringer and De Goey today showed the gap between a good player and premium.

The one glaring void in our game is our inability to win the ball on the ground i50 or retain it. It came back out ad nauseam every time & until we can find a way to correct it, we won’t win a game.

3 tackles inside 50 is just diabolical by AFL standards.

Honestly I can’t see is winning a game to potentially Rd 15 against west coast.

First post! Didn't see much of the game, but watched Truck's presser after. It was all a bit "Oh well, we missed the bus, but at least we woke up this week, better wait for the next one". It'd be nice to see a bit more fire in the belly after a loss, especially considering finals aspirations are now toast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Game is over umpired and FAR TO MUCH GREY to have decisions made on the run like it is
Its a mentality that umpires should be fostering. If a player ducks, crumples at the knees, or goes head first into a contest then he is contributing to a dangerous tackle.

It seems like the arm across the shoulder is the only thing that the umpires see presently.

I feel this is another List Management achievement.

Durham looks like a good honest player. Like Brayden Ham. Like Matt Guelfi. Like Alec Waterman. Like Brandon Zerk - Thatcher. Like, well, yeah. You get my point..

We pick nice players. Honest players. How many of these guys are ever going to be stars? better than average players? We can't be carrying as many as we do. Forget about having a 'success' like Waterman. Take a punt on a kid who could eventuate into something. We hang out hat on players who contribute but don't dominate outside our very select few stars.
I get your disappointment in a player like Ham, of whom we have seen enough. Durham though? A mid-season pick up who really is still a freshy? I think he has shown enough for us to comfortably say that he could eventuate into something. Not all of them can dominate and be stars.

Opposition rebounding off half back

ImmediateGratefulCat-size_restricted.gif

Parish busted his arse all day.
When we had the ball or when he was near the ball, sure. Pity about the other times. Ditto Shiel and Merrett (although Merrett at least has half an excuse coming back from injury even if he has form in this area). Watching from the second level I made an effort to watch off the ball and paid particular attention to who was allowing players to run off them repeatedly. These three were the worst.

I didn’t want Baldwin in and I wanted Waterman as the sub with Stringer back. I felt we would be too slow in our forward line and while I was wrong with Waterman, we were too slow and not able to apply any pressure.

I thought the effort was pretty good, but in the cold, hard light of day, we're 1 - 5, with no prospect of a win on the horizon. I worry what this will do to the young players.

I’m starting to come around to the idea that our guernseys need actual blue collars on them. Maybe that will be the difference to get all the boys cracking in.

Overall I'd say we fixed up some of the effort based areas - there was definitely more intent to chase and compete harder for contested ball today.
On the other hand we still lost and we have plenty of issues in every section of the ground.

Not telling anyone here anything new but we are like 2 quality small forwards short. Plus obviously we desperately need another quality KPF option - hopefully Jones can come in soon and fill that void. Baldwin doesn't seem ready at this stage. Our pressure in the forward line is poor, don't get me wrong there's an element of team defence too but to be a forward half team you actually have to pressure in the forward half.

Our backline seems more than a little lost at the moment. I think we'll sort it out with the smalls/mediums (even though everyone is kind of struggling a bit right now) but I don't believe in either BZT/Stewart (not good enough) or Laverde (undersized) so to me we need to find 2 decent KPD's. Hopefully Reid is one and I think trading/free agency for a mature KPD is on the cards.

Draper's a work in progress that we just need to persist with this year and had one of his better games but will have down games as well - this is what you get when you play a ruck with so little experience. Not against trying Bryan at some point too - maybe the two of them together.

Midfield has some quality but its unbalanced and everybody knows we lack size on the inside. Its disappointing we haven't performed a bit better in this area given we've had most of our personnel available there and its our most experienced line by far.

Overall at 1-5 mentally I'm just going to treat this as a rebuilding year and look forward to seeing how the players who I think will form part of our future will go (and yes there are plenty that I don't think will be but perhaps not as many as it seems right at this instant).

Effort way better this week, but with the Dogs next week taking us to 1-6, the pressure will and should be on Truck.

We’ve now added ‘the opposition kicks too straight’ to our ever growing list of cliche excuses for losses (injuries/too young/umpires/etc.)

We’ve now added ‘the opposition kicks too straight’ to our ever growing list of cliche excuses for losses (injuries/too young/umpires/etc.)
The opposition transitions the ball through from D50, through the corridor and laces their forwards out directly in front of goal....which is the fault of list management! /s

Better this week. Any team that kicks as accurately as Collingwood should win the match. Otherwise we were evenly matched around the ground.

Glad the three amigos are back together. Parish, Merrett and McGrath. Our midfield looking complete now. They all stay healthy and we get Langford back I expect to win more games in the next couple of months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back