AFL Autopsy RND 6: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

341970842_750567589895114_7969824427107485083_n.png

Including the dying stages when we needed to get the ball back and the magpies started time wasting. Man we are a dumb ******* side.
It was dumb, but also symptomatic of just how much we were out on our feet. At the ground you could see it was as much about the effort to run and man up and have to run back than it was about the recognition. We had essentially given up sadly.

It was dumb, but also symptomatic of just how much we were out on our feet. At the ground you could see it was as much about the effort to run and man up and have to run back than it was about the recognition. We had essentially given up sadly.
Yeah. I was looking at Redman by himself at one stage yelling for guys to push up, so he could push up to an opponent and it just stuck out. He should've just found a player and told others to do likewise, but was tired and wanted to hold a zone. So he stayed out back on the arc by himself.

Our forward line is really missing Wright. Flip has been good, but him and Draper aren't a good replacement as the tall option down there. If Wright were there then he'd get the best defender, which releases some of the pressure from Weid, Jones and resting ruck. On the plus side, Wright not being there is allowing the coaches to get some insight on the limitations of the forwards.

Another thing we need to work on is delivery into the forward line. For a long time it's been poo. We have to learn to stop kicking to the opposition defenders. Not sure if that's also on the forwards for not leading correctly, but hopefully the coaches are working on that.
Yep - you would have thought that Ruscoe was playing for us a couple of times yesterday - we made it easy for him.

I am going to go off topic slightly. Anzac Day is such a great day and it is incredibly awesome that Ess is involved in this game. Other teams and supporters could only be jealous of today. Can't imagine it ever being taken off Ess and Coll. 95,000 people through the gates. Biggest crowd to a H&A game since 1958 (Melb vs Coll at 99k). Great game for the punters to watch in pubs and at home on TV.

Now, time to get a bit political. It occurred to me that one way to fix the Australia Day issue is to move it to 26 April. Or 24 April for that matter but seems to be the right thing to do to have the remembrance part first and then the party part. And obviously retains some connection (which many wont like) by having it on 26th of a month. Would give people a double public holiday to recognise/remember and celebrate the country. Just a thought that came to me today looking at 95,000 people not making a sound for a minute. And AFL would love it, they can do two of these games on consecutive days plus eve games.
Government isnt going to put it’s two biggest national public holidays b2b. If aus day gets moved it’ll stay in the summer.

This Collingwood side under Fly has been brilliant and impressive and we've played it 3 times now, and in all 3 of those games we've been in great positions to win, we didn't win and that's s**t but we are pushing them all the way.

Now if we can improve 5/10% across the board maybe we beat them and become contenders ourselves.

I'm no psychologist but I really do think our team/club/organisation has some form of PTSD/losing mentality from such a long long period of mediocrity and getting consistently smashed on almost every big occasion (finals, Anzac Day, Dreamtime, milestone games etc). Contrast that with Collingwood who always appear full of belief no matter the circumstances and more often than not come out on top.

I know it sounds odd given the breadth of list turnover over the past 20 or so years but I really do think there's something to it. It's become ingrained and cultural and IMO is going to be the hardest and yet most critical thing to change if we are ever gong to see any kind of success. I mean we all saw it coming, nearly 30 points up with a quarter to go and as fans we all knew we'd still probably lose - I think the players probably had the same doubts in their head.

Time to sink some serious $$$ into a raft of highly credentialed sports psychologists and organisational psychologists (gotta stress NOT some psuedoscience trash AKA Collective Minds) to change this losing culture and mentality.

Collingwood were much more experienced in both age and games played. I think it was just inexperience rather than any losing mentality. Laverde going down really upset our structure too.

Watching the replay back I found a few moments funny in where all the collingwood fans (was majority collingwood where I was sitting) were losing their minds but they were incorrect about what had happened.
  • the Draper free kick in the first qtr - was actually a high free kick they all thought the umpired called a mark
  • the Perkins holding the ball in the 3rd - noble had actually been paid a high free kick but decided to play on, they all thought the free hadn’t been paid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know that movie Raiders Of The Lost Ark. You know that scene at the start with the giant boulder that just keeps rolling and rolling gathering up speed until it destroys you?

Well, that boulder is Collingwood. I wish I could say we were Indiana Jones, because in the movie the boulder didn't quite get him.

Maybe if Harrison Jones played we could have won.

Harsh with Laverde going down. Can't predict that. But drefinitely s**t the bed with the Hobbs call, Scott caved into the populist opinion.

The mistake was bringing him in as sub.
Just shows the difference in running power yesterday

View attachment 1670578

Which is interesting because Dees had even more last week, and our output was up too.

I’m not reading too much into the endurance running theme. I wasn’t at the ground so I did not see what others saw. My take from the idiot box was our mids struggled to get hands to the ball first - were overly fumbly and didn’t absorb Collingwood’s pressure.

I think if they’d been a bit more intent and composed, the running game of Collingwood wouldn’t have played into the result so much.

Others have said it that robbing Peter to pay Paul by putting Setters in defence left our mids more exposed and I tend to agree. We needed to gain possession and then hold it, but just couldn’t get hands to the ball. I think Scott knows how we could’ve won within the limitations of the team and I also think he made a few selection and tactical errors, but he deserves a lot of credit for implementing a system that the players are subscribing to and overall he has us on a good track right now.

I’m still gutted but that’s the lot of an EFC person.

403CEF8A-3805-4A29-89B5-3EFB0418F432.png

Look, it's simple. Draper was ok but his taps and the way our mids read them were equally as shithouse in the last quarter. Taps were to space where Collingwood mids were closest to it, so it just created a situation where we were fighting to grab it back off them while they were using that energy to find the next handball or ideal clearance.

Couple this with a poor sub decision in Hobbs who was a total deer in headlights, who's choice was further exacerbated as a result of his lack of versatility after Laverde went down and you had a recipe for disaster.

It's not a surprise in hindsight why that happened, but it's a visible lesson to both the players and coaches at least.

Last edited:

Which is interesting because Dees had even more last week, and our output was up too.

I’m not reading too much into the endurance running theme. I wasn’t at the ground so I did not see what others saw. My take from the idiot box was our mids struggled to get hands to the ball first - were overly fumbly and didn’t absorb Collingwood’s pressure.

I think if they’d been a bit more intent and composed, the running game of Collingwood wouldn’t have played into the result so much.

Others have said it that robbing Peter to pay Paul by putting Setters in defence left our mids more exposed and I tend to agree. We needed to gain possession and then hold it, but just couldn’t get hands to the ball. I think Scott knows how we could’ve won within the limitations of the team and I also think he made a few selection and tactical errors, but he deserves a lot of credit for implementing a system that the players are subscribing to and overall he has us on a good track right now.

View attachment 1670695
The dees has even more but we also had 30% more last week and it was a smaller gap. Collingwood having 78 more sprinting efforts is a huge gap, at it was a significant difference in the amount we had compared to them in the 4th qtr alone. Again only a contributing factor as to why we lost. I agree we could not get our hands on the ball during the 4th and once collingwood got the momentum, we really lacked anyone willing in stand up and try and swing it back.

View attachment 1670695
A pretty good summation there I reckon!

This Collingwood side under Fly has been brilliant and impressive and we've played it 3 times now, and in all 3 of those games we've been in great positions to win, we didn't win and that's s**t but we are pushing them all the way.

Now if we can improve 5/10% across the board maybe we beat them and become contenders ourselves.

Does that mean we’re just not learning anything though..?

I don’t think we will, but I really hope we hit the trade/FA market this year

Complete rubbish, let me assure you, it wasn’t the chant.

There is a commonality between the Essendon v Collingwood AFL and VFL games that tells us far more. One side outplayed the other for 3 quarters then completely ran out of puff and got swallowed up by the other in identical fashion.

There was a sense of inevitability about the whole thing, which is perhaps why the chanting started to begin with.

you dont go from obtaining a 28 point lead, to "running out of puff" in a matter of minutes.

We were off from the 4th QTR bounce, right after a break. You could tell from the first clearance Collingwood wanted it more. We continually fumbled and miss kicks whilst Collingwood made theirs.

The legs argument has merit. But us shitting the bed has more so.

Essendon being unable to capitalise and extend leads is not a one off. We have been doing it for 20 odd years. We rarely have the killer instinct required to put 5 bullets into a corpse. We did the exact same thing to Collingwood last year when Elliot kicked one after the Siren to win in Round 19. 2 goals up going into the 4th and dont capitalise on it.

Does that mean we’re just not learning anything though..?

I don’t think we will, but I really hope we hit the trade/FA market this year

we barely made the minimum salary cap this year didnt we?

we should have deep as * pockets to target who we want this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back