AFL Autopsy RND 15: Loss to the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin has been good but I find that he is a bit of a kick chaser. Henry was a lot better than him. Good sides have wingers that are prepared to hold their space and stay wide. It might not get the glory but it is the best thing for the team. Brisbane is the best example. Watch Berry, doesn’t always get big stats but he protects the outlet kick. Until we have midfielders that sacrifice for the team we will go no where. I feel that Martin is starting to believe his own hype
Yeah, Henry was close to BOG

I just watched the replay. We weren't that bad. But maybe that's just relative to the garbage that I have gotten used to over the past 20 years.
Tough watch? I can't bring myself to see it again.

What is your take on missed chances and crucial turnovers in the first? IMO, we brought them back into the game.

Have to put weight in the post bye lull

Hawks beat lions off bye
Lose to suns off bye
A team spanked by the blues after the bye

6th after the bye. Could have been 5th. But it's one game in 5 that will tell us where we're at
Surely it wouldn't be hard for the AFL to have an even 6 teams each bye then those six play each other post bye?

Even 2 weeks of 8 teams or even better 1 week with all teams?

Surely it wouldn't be hard for the AFL to have an even 6 teams each bye then those six play each other post bye?

Weekend off, hold a SOO weekend.

Or just one bye round and we all take a week off and realise we can survive without footy ever so briefly:p

Okay I need help but I have watched the replay a couple of times now.

One issue we had was on we had last year. The forward pressure was very suspect and it was because we had Wright / Weideman / Langford / Perkins / Stringer inside the 50 at times. It was too loaded with medium / tall forwards who are not genuine pressure players.

Laverde looks ordinary: too slow in covering a leading forward. He always seems to be slow off the mark. Also, there was a crucial time when he could have laid a tackle but where were his arms....down by his side. Frustrating!

Losing centre clearances out the front like that always look bad.

What Lloyd didn't show on TSFS was the first two clearance situations of the game where Parish got out the front and pumped it inside 50, and then won a free kick for putting his head over the footy on the flank (leading to Langfords first goal).

My bigger issue on the night was our complete unwillingness to maximize effort into closing down space. There was no pressure on Freo when they were in possession, and that is all intensity.

I dont know if it is a post bye thing (teams coming off the bye are 1-17 or something stupid like that) or something else but we will see vs Port this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What Lloyd didn't show on TSFS was the first two clearance situations of the game where Parish got out the front and pumped it inside 50, and then won a free kick for putting his head over the footy on the flank (leading to Langfords first goal).

My bigger issue on the night was our complete unwillingness to maximize effort into closing down space. There was no pressure on Freo when they were in possession, and that is all intensity.

I dont know if it is a post bye thing (teams coming off the bye are 1-17 or something stupid like that) or something else but we will see vs Port this week.
All but five teams are playing away interstate after their bye, and of those 13, all of them who have played so far have lost, bar the two that played another team also coming off a bye. In both cases the travelling bye team beat the hosting bye team.

Freo, Carlton and Melbourne are the lucky three that don’t travel after their bye, but Melbourne got Geelong in Geelong so idk if that’s better 😂

From memory there was at least two clean centre clearances by Stringer that went deep i50 to a contest and resulted in no mark and the ball rebounding straight out of our forward-line.

Our midfield was beaten, but not getting any result from clearances like that is poor from the forwards. If not a mark, then locking the ball in at ground level should have created a scoring opportunity.

From memory there was at least two clean centre clearances by Stringer that went deep i50 to a contest and resulted in no mark and the ball rebounding straight out of our forward-line.

Our midfield was beaten, but not getting any result from clearances like that is poor from the forwards. If not a mark, then locking the ball in at ground level should have created a scoring opportunity.
I think the forward balance was a bit out as well.

Weird game.

It felt like it was played the way we wanted it played but there were 2 key issues:

1. they scored heavily from clearances (although it seemed to me clearances were evenly distributed in terms of wins and losses);

2. we have no ground level bite in the forward 50 and end up playing from half back because we can't hold the ball forward.

Guelfi is not quick enough to play as a small forward, not when our talls are as slow as they are. Snelling is probably also playing too high. I'd say Menzie is a bit slower than what we'd really like, too.

I found the clearances set ups very interesting, generally. It's a bit early to run with what I am thinking. The game against Port will be telling.

One issue we had was on we had last year. The forward pressure was very suspect and it was because we had Wright / Weideman / Langford / Perkins / Stringer inside the 50 at times. It was too loaded with medium / tall forwards who are not genuine pressure players.
i thought we got very little from Guelfi and not as much as normal from Snelling too
Add to that, 3 qtrs of no Menzie pressure (less tackling, but more presence)

reserving judgement until the response next week. Win or lose, we should ideally push Port off the bye and travelling.

I know people love guelf because he is all heart but I really think we had better balance with Menzie and Davey Jnr as our smalls at start of the year. They didnt look great on the stat sheet but from watching games I think they helped alot with exerting forward half pressure. Last year we had guelf as our main small forward vs a fit snelling and tippa the year before and it was similar. He does alot of great stuff but I dont think he provides the closing speed/pressure those others have displayed.
If we are going to roll with three to four talls in the forward line then I think guelf would be the perfect utility sub, but I dont think he should be one of our main small forwards/

Have to put weight in the post bye lull

Hawks beat lions off bye
Lose to suns off bye
A team spanked by the blues after the bye

6th after the bye. Could have been 5th. But it's one game in 5 that will tell us where we're at

alot of merit to this but we knew it was coming, lets hope it was just a lull

We have a real chance to do something this year. need to focus up.

Geelong knows their post bye lull is coming and they still manage to lose that game every year.
Im willing to write this off as a one off for now because the defensive pressure/effort and midfield/fwd combinations were all off vs previous games.

i bring it back to the real world.
in the lead up to any 2 week break i take, im smashing out more per hour/day than normal.
first 2-3 days after the break, i may as well not work.

Wonder if the commentary around the "anomaly" is either ground softening from the AFL or the media agitating for a return to one week full bye round

Tough watch? I can't bring myself to see it again.

What is your take on missed chances and crucial turnovers in the first? IMO, we brought them back into the game.
Yep, we definitely missed some golden chances to take a decent lead early on. My point was more that we were not that bad in the second and third quarters, but we were by no means good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back