AFL Autopsy RND 6: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we've managed it well to bring in players without over-paying anyone, which means we've still got plenty of cap space. Guys like Wright, Kelly, Weideman etc that would be paid OK money without costing a heap.

No point bringing in a big name FA that costs a bomb if you're not in a good space list and coach-wise to capitalise on it.

We’ve certainly not done anything wrong - we’ve only really signed who I’d imagine to be cheap, no risk players. Add Setters to the three you listed.

I’d love a capable 28-30 year old at both ends of the ground. And/or someone we could have put into the midfield in that last 10-15 minute patch. Easier said than done, I know - but doesn’t have to be a gun(s), just a senior head. James Kelly is still one of my favourite recruits ever - someone of that ilk (again, I am aware it’s far easier for me to sit on the couch and suggest it than it is to just go out and sign that type of player).

We’ve certainly not done anything wrong - we’ve only really signed who I’d imagine to be cheap, no risk players. Add Setters to the three you listed.

I’d love a capable 28-30 year old at both ends of the ground. And/or someone we could have put into the midfield in that last 10-15 minute patch. Easier said than done, I know - but doesn’t have to be a gun(s), just a senior head. James Kelly is still one of my favourite recruits ever - someone of that ilk (again, I am aware it’s far easier for me to sit on the couch and suggest it than it is to just go out and sign that type of player).
Nah mate I reckon you’ve got it. Go out and sign away! Can’t do any worse than dodo 😂 (NB not trying to turn this into a dodo thread - that already exists)

Don't know if it would've made any difference to the result, but I wonder if Hind would've been a better sub. More seasoned body, can fill in forward or back, and has more pace to get to contests when others are getting tired.
100% he would have been the better choice.

When Laverde got injured our plan B should not have been Setterfield to defense.

Hind can play all over the ground and has pace, no brainer as the sub but AFL coaches don't seem to recognise this.

Anyone else remember how effective NLM was whenever he was the sub?

We’ve all done the sums, we’ve all heard the war chest s**t, we clearly have money to throw at someone. Did we sniff around degoey ? Pretty sure we did, probably on his Bali mid season bender and he told us to * off. Snelling, Durham, Martin, Junior , Tip, etc etc are not on huge money. We lost that prick Daniher, saad, mr injury prone Fantasia.
Go and ******* get someone Essendon. Tasmania is coming in, get a ******* move on.

When Laverde got injured our plan B should not have been Setterfield to defense.

Hind can play all over the ground and has pace, no brainer as the sub but AFL coaches don't seem to recognise this.

Nat Rat had the advantage of being big enough to play tall or medium as well. Hind into defence on ANZAC Day doesn't help the structural hole we already lack.

Agreed, we needed speed at the ball.

James Kelly is still one of my favourite recruits ever - someone of that ilk (again, I am aware it’s far easier for me to sit on the couch and suggest it than it is to just go out and sign that type of player).
He was great, so classy and smart. I was surprised by his pace too. Geelong were letting guys like this go (and Stevie J who had a brilliant season or two with GWS who probably win a flag if he didn't get suspended). Was thinking the same after Tuesdays game regarding having a decent quality senior with a little gas in the tank taking Hepps place and what could have been.

He was great, so classy and smart. I was surprised by his pace too. Geelong were letting guys like this go (and Stevie J who had a brilliant season or two with GWS who probably win a flag if he didn't get suspended). Was thinking the same after Tuesdays game regarding having a decent quality senior with a little gas in the tank taking Hepps place and what could have been.
Kelly was so good for our club. His comments after the NM final round game was one of the highlights of 2016. We missed his defence coaching too when he went back to Geelong.

However, he final q on Tuesday didn't need him or another gassy senior. It just needed Zach. Zach, no injury to Laverde and different luck would have produced a different result.

I'm no psychologist but I really do think our team/club/organisation has some form of PTSD/losing mentality from such a long long period of mediocrity and getting consistently smashed on almost every big occasion (finals, Anzac Day, Dreamtime, milestone games etc). Contrast that with Collingwood who always appear full of belief no matter the circumstances and more often than not come out on top.

I know it sounds odd given the breadth of list turnover over the past 20 or so years but I really do think there's something to it. It's become ingrained and cultural and IMO is going to be the hardest and yet most critical thing to change if we are ever gong to see any kind of success. I mean we all saw it coming, nearly 30 points up with a quarter to go and as fans we all knew we'd still probably lose - I think the players probably had the same doubts in their head.

Time to sink some serious $$$ into a raft of highly credentialed sports psychologists and organisational psychologists (gotta stress NOT some psuedoscience trash AKA Collective Minds) to change this losing culture and mentality.
You could almost say it's very spurs citizen-erased :sadv1:

You could almost say it's very spurs citizen-erased :sadv1:
Season 3 Episode 23 GIF by The Simpsons

yeah he was such a great pick up, i feel like his work ethic and skills definitely motivated some of our (then) younger players to actually try and improve. i think similarly luke hodge to brisbane did wonders for them, having someone with experience and senority within a side will help them develop a ton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nat Rat had the advantage of being big enough to play tall or medium as well. Hind into defence on ANZAC Day doesn't help the structural hole we already lack.
Loved Nat Rat.

As I see it there is a 50/50 chance we get jumped at the start of Q4. The game was played, as most games are, in pretty significant momentum swings.

So they get a bit of a jump, which they needed being 5 goals down, and just as we need to respond, they're still going at the same intensity and you've got a hardened team of quality runners vs a team that stated drafting players who can run naturally about 30 months ago.

They ran over the top of how many better teams than us last season? I am not sure how there is a serious argument that we didn't get found out for running power.
We've been getting run over for a very long time. Man, we got run over by North in an elimination final a decade ago and it's still an issue. I'm adding it to Adrian's list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back