AFL Autopsy RND 20: Loss to the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wasn’t it 50 to Zerk when he took the mark and swans player played on over the mark and tackled him when he hadn’t gone off his line
The thing is Zerk doesn't even complain like the other one in the square - his body language tells the ump he made the right call.

McGrath should of been attached at the hip to Papley all night.
The fact that he wasn't, was an obvious coaching mistake.
Snelling as a sub, Jake Kelly as a forward, and taking too long to switch the matchups for Amarty were a few other obvious ones. Not sure we had a good matchup for him to be fair.
ADJ over AMT who has been in good form in the VFL is another, important for the future, so i dont necessarily hate the move. But hindsight says it backfired in a must win game.

Merrett immense. Heppell turned back the clock. Hobbs and Caldwell were good. Langfors very good. Perkins was in and out but did some nice things, as did Parish and Martin.
Hind tries hisbguts out but doesn't hurt the opposition. Wright worked hard but needed to hold on to a few more.
Probably the best game I've seen Bryan play for us

Back 6 was exposed too often and we let them get a lot of cheapies. Redmond and McGrath were well down and Lav and BZT looked lost quite often.

We should be looking to get some games into some kids in the next 4 weeks. It could could come at the expense of guys like Snelling and Guelfi and give us an indication of what we've got.
Persist with Cox down back
At least Hind and Redmond make some attempt to generate run and movement from half back. Redmond makes unorthodox plays which can be risky but at least tries to disrupt the opposition's structures

I hate this match. I hate that club. I hate this game. I hate the enemy scum sitting in the members’ section mouthing off. I hate my sore throat. I hate the train delay they just announced. I hate everything.
the critic jay sherman GIF

He had some clangers kicks inside 50 but so everyone did.

Exactly why we won the i50 count but not the game. Our entries were mostly to the advantage of their defenders. We make reliably dumb choices when we kick to our forward line.

Bomb it long and high to a contest on Wright’s head doesn’t seem like a hard game plan to combat.

Exactly why we won the i50 count but not the game. Our entries were mostly to the advantage of their defenders. We make reliably dumb choices when we kick to our forward line.

Bomb it long and high to a contest on Wright’s head doesn’t seem like a hard game plan to combat.
Our forward group did 2MP no favours. One play in the third where every man and his dog went for the mark Pete would have taken easily was a big piece of evidence that the fwd group is simply not working.

McGrath should of been attached at the hip to Papley all night.
The fact that he wasn't, was an obvious coaching mistake.
Snelling as a sub, Jake Kelly as a forward, and taking too long to switch the matchups for Amarty were a few other obvious ones. Not sure we had a good matchup for him to be fair.
ADJ over AMT who has been in good form in the VFL is another, important for the future, so i dont necessarily hate the move. But hindsight says it backfired in a must win game.
I thought the same McGrath to Papley. He just got off the chain too much on Kelly.

Bryan was quite impressive. Snelling was good when he came on..should’ve started ahead of Davey who hasn’t done enough fat VFL. Winning last four not impossible

Lol

Yea it is

Yep, opposition teams just tripple team him and then run it out. Who was on Blakey?

Langford great but I would have moved Cox in there.

Our small/mid forwards go missing too much. Guelfi is not best 22 any more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with everything except for Parish, he was a key reason we got so close.

He had some clangers kicks inside 50 but so everyone did.
Turnover is the biggest scoring source in the AFL and he was direcly responsible for another 3 goals today. He undoes all his good work each week with bad decision-making by foot and poor touch.
27 disposals and only half of them being effective is putrid.
Unless he magically fixes his kicking, he is replaceable.

Turnover is the biggest scoring source in the AFL and he was direcly responsible for another 3 goals today. He undoes all his good work each week with bad decision-making by foot and poor touch.
27 disposals and only half of them being effective is putrid.
Unless he magically fixes his kicking, he is replaceable.
I think we need to get an outside gun and have Parish feed the ball out. Parish is excellent extractor.

Maybe Tsatas could be that outside link. Also, missing Setters is huge. He did plenty of blocking/tackling that we lack.

Very cool that we let Gulden, the best kick in the comp, have his lowest contested possession rate in a game this year (9 CPs from 37 disposals).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back