AFL Autopsy RND 20: Loss to the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually had to miss the rest of this game after quarter time due to previous commitments and I have no intention of watching the rest of it.
saturday-night-fever-john-travolta.gif
I'd watch the final quarter, some very good football.

Why does it always feel like every other team gets a great run with the umps against us, when is it our turn? To me it feels like Scott is still experimenting with selection and positioning. I know people are screaming to drop everyone for the youth but we are getting a good look at who fits in where and a lot of the questionable 22 are getting a good final run to prove their worth.

Bryan's showed a flash of his potential last night, going to be good.
Parish's disposal still frustrating, the snap kick clearances are too inconsistent.
Heppell still putting his body on the line and had a little purple patch when we needed some poise.
Hind's run is not appreciated at all, creates opportunities and even snagged a goal.
Mcgraths run is hit and miss. Can't keep drawing a player to play on, becomes predictable.
Phillips took some solid marks and is having a solid end to the year, hard to believe he's 32.
Langfords footy IQ is top tier, its a shame the rest of the forward line is so dysfunctional.
Perkins needs to be back in the forward half.
Merrett, such a great captain, leading from the front.

Probably stop it there before I start ranting too much. Lot of tough calls at the end of this season, got to have a balance of youth, experience and depth.

Thank god we’re back to normal now , a 2 point loss and guelf not in your best 22 and has to go , you have 2 or 3 of your best players out at the moment and the rest of the team are trying to cover for that

Proud of the boys.

Get the feeling it could have been won had it not have been for Zerk's nuffie play on. So many losses tied down to him being lost in the sauce.

Won't improve until we find a replacement for him ASAP. He ain't it.
I said a few weeks ago that I would have Baldwin playing ahead of Zerk.

Thank god we’re back to normal now , a 2 point loss and guelf not in your best 22 and has to go , you have 2 or 3 of your best players out at the moment and the rest of the team are trying to cover for that
wrong account mate, this one has West Coast as team supported

No Ridley, no Draper equals no Essendon. Just put out to pasture all those that need surgery and go to the draft with a better hand. Scott has had a look at the list and should know what our deficiencies are. Hopefully Dudorderer will be instructed who to trade, recruit and delist in this his last season at the club.

5-10 minutes either side of half time had me ripping my hair out. We looked a genuine bottom 4 side in that period.
That was when I stopped watching. It's my birthday today and I decided I didn't need any more dashed hope on a sporting front.

With things going south in the Bledisloe and the Ashes, it was a toss up between the France v Brazil WWC game, the Diamonds netball WC replay and the swimming world championships. Very glad I went with the swim meet. Three gold for Australia, some exceptional swimming.

I was as bemused as anyone at the choice of Snelling as sub. Maybe I would have preferred someone who seems to bring a bit more energy, but he has some good numbers for a quarter of footy.

10 disposals, with 2 score involvements and 4 i50s from those.
230 metres gained.
5 marks
That's more marks in a quarter than Redman, Martin (!), Perkins, Parish, Menzie, McGrath and others, and the guy is 4 feet tall.

That seems pretty effective. 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a way it was a good loss. I’ve been leaning to preferring missing the eight than scraping in for a first week loss (PTSD finals losses).

Some real positives - showed lots of fight and effort overall, Bryan showed real positive signs, Cox in the backline was good, Langford outstanding again (would be up there for the B&F), another game for Davey.

We can give some more kids a run now finals are out, rest/repair those that need it for next season and look forward to a high draft pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No Ridley, no Draper equals no Essendon. Just put out to pasture all those that need surgery and go to the draft with a better hand. Scott has had a look at the list and should know what our deficiencies are. Hopefully Dudorderer will be instructed who to trade, recruit and delist in this his last season at the club.
Agreed and I would throw in Stringer too. When he is fit he usually makes the difference in those tight matches.

That was when I stopped watching. It's my birthday today and I decided I didn't need any more dashed hope on a sporting front.

With things going south in the Bledisloe and the Ashes, it was a toss up between the France v Brazil WWC game, the Diamonds netball WC replay and the swimming world championships. Very glad I went with the swim meet. Three gold for Australia, some exceptional swimming.
Happy birthday for yesterday, see the Aussie Swimming Dolphins fly up!

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

With us having won nine games for the year I just can’t see us winning the last 4 games in a row. Yeah it’s mathematically possible but I just don’t see it happening.

Yeah we lack well-drilled and competent depth in a few key positions.

We have yet to settle our abundance of beanpoles into an AFL-level spine.

Midfield mix is up to s**t with no Stringer and no Setterfield. Perkins ain’t the thing, good enough to play a role, but doesn’t seem to have the next gear to become a star there.

Wingers are flagging a bit. Younguns not coping with the rigours of a full season as well as they might with a few more under their belt.

Interesting having Kelly up on a wing. Repeat sprints through the roof someone said, which is intriguing. I guess that’s what released Cox to the backline, where previously he chopped out the wings.

Observations from behind the goals:

Cox:15 year key defender. For all the ‘imagine if we got Logan McDonald instead’, he beat him as soundly as you can hope to beat someone.
Wright: stinker but he’s just so damn good. Gets to a stupid amount of contests that eventually some of them will always stick.
BZT: Smoked Amartey after Franklin went off. His positioning and ability to get a hand or an arm in is uncanny. Pay the man.
Parish, Merrett, Caldwell and Hobbs all had the right idea but their kicking let them down pretty significantly, minced on the spread.
Bryan: Serious touch and skills for a big, was uber impressed with him, has number 1 ruck all over him.
Heppell: complete and utter stinker, throw the stats away.

Not really anything else of note from anyone else, Perkins is quite clearly limping to the finish line, dunno whether he was carrying a niggle or a bug or what but he was labouring the entire night.
Heppell played pretty well I thought and I’m one of his biggest critics

Observations from behind the goals:

Cox:15 year key defender. For all the ‘imagine if we got Logan McDonald instead’, he beat him as soundly as you can hope to beat someone.
Wright: stinker but he’s just so damn good. Gets to a stupid amount of contests that eventually some of them will always stick.
BZT: Smoked Amartey after Franklin went off. His positioning and ability to get a hand or an arm in is uncanny. Pay the man.
Parish, Merrett, Caldwell and Hobbs all had the right idea but their kicking let them down pretty significantly, minced on the spread.
Bryan: Serious touch and skills for a big, was uber impressed with him, has number 1 ruck all over him.
Heppell: complete and utter stinker, throw the stats away.

Not really anything else of note from anyone else, Perkins is quite clearly limping to the finish line, dunno whether he was carrying a niggle or a bug or what but he was labouring the entire night.
Langford is the anti Wright at the moment so devoid of confidence he is almost a liability. Langford is playing with such confidence he could take and half against almost anyone imho

Rough on Heppel, he was ok in an oft under siege back 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back