AFL Autopsy RND 20: Loss to the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Fingers crossed Scott sets elite expectations for the off season. Sick of seeing our team lagging so far behind the top teams fitness levels since before the saga.

Junk time goals, being over run by teams in the third and fourth quarters. Suspect a lot of this would occur a lot less with better fitness.

We've got a young team which means we're not going to have the cumulative preseason fitness of older teams, but now is the time to set elite minimum expectations to build for future success

We donā€™t have a young team, they were older

I thought we played quite well tonight. Merrett, Langford, Wright, Caldwell, Hobbs and Perkins all looked good tonight.

Who would have thought playing Cox is his natural position would be a plus? Looked good in spades tonight up back, while Nick Bryan killed it. We must re-sign him.

The obvious weaknesses of our team are plain in view to see now. Our backline isnā€™t very good and the lack of talent and quality in our smalls up forward is killing us.
Bryan's got really good hands and good awareness. Might be on to something with him.

Observations from behind the goals:

Cox:15 year key defender. For all the ā€˜imagine if we got Logan McDonald insteadā€™, he beat him as soundly as you can hope to beat someone.
Wright: stinker but heā€™s just so damn good. Gets to a stupid amount of contests that eventually some of them will always stick.
BZT: Smoked Amartey after Franklin went off. His positioning and ability to get a hand or an arm in is uncanny. Pay the man.
Parish, Merrett, Caldwell and Hobbs all had the right idea but their kicking let them down pretty significantly, minced on the spread.
Bryan: Serious touch and skills for a big, was uber impressed with him, has number 1 ruck all over him.
Heppell: complete and utter stinker, throw the stats away.

Not really anything else of note from anyone else, Perkins is quite clearly limping to the finish line, dunno whether he was carrying a niggle or a bug or what but he was labouring the entire night.

Last edited:
I actually had to miss the rest of this game after quarter time due to previous commitments and I have no intention of watching the rest of it.
saturday-night-fever-john-travolta.gif

I have a hard time believing that AMT or Wanganeen couldn't give us more than Snelling.
feel like tex has been on the cusp for the past few weeks with standout vfl performances. if our seasonā€™s dead, why donā€™t we give him, tsatas & whoever else some game time, especially against s**t like west coke & norf. itā€™ll be amazing & give them some good team experience

We donā€™t have a young team, they were older
We do have a young team compared to those at the top of the ladder.

Them being younger may explain why we almost ran over the top of them in the fourth.

Semantics aside, I don't think anyone here could claim we have elite fitness and a team filled with 2 way gut runners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We win that with any one of of Ridley Draper etc back in the side. But we already knew that and knew finalā€™s would be a waste of time regardless. I like our list but we need more depth next year

Proud of the boys.

Get the feeling it could have been won had it not have been for Zerk's nuffie play on. So many losses tied down to him being lost in the sauce.

Won't improve until we find a replacement for him ASAP. He ain't it.
There were many worse than him
laverde, Kelly for a start

I ask you what is more important to the afl. Keep the Swans in there so their, 12000 spectators show up and enjoy the end of buddy and turn up next year with hope or just ******* over Essendon who have suffered for years but their spectators just keep showing up through the misery but they know they will show up regardless

We lost to a younger side I reckon
we have too many mediocre players who are honest and no more
kelly, laverde bzt, Guelfi, Heppell (did some good things but is slow as)
parish wins the footy but there just isnt enough hurt to his disposals and his spread is poor
wright is not a number one forward his hands under any sort of pressure real or inferred are terrible
menzie lacks some speed and zip for the position he plays
snelling was ok for a sub but he ainā€™t getting any better
i think we will end up with an 11 win season which is where we are at
scott needs to find out about some other players on our list now
tsatsas, Baldwin, Montgomery and Voss all deserve a shot just to see if they can play
i would not be adverse to:
in tsatsas, Voss, Baldwin, Montgomery and amt
out Kelly, Guelfi, laverde, Heppell (rested) and snelling

i think we are playing a better brand of footy
we did get back into the game when rampe went off injured

Well that sucked. They fought it out well but they also played some real crap footy in the middle of the game. The team defense has fallen off a cliff in the last 3 weeks. We have allowed sides to take short kicks through the middle and the opposition half backs are getting involved in the overlap. The midfield are pushing back to quickly and allowing space rather than holding the center square.
The forward set up was a bit of a dogs breakfast at times as well.
Peter Wright dropped too many marks. We wasted inside 50 chances with some poor kicks coming in and our half forwards where way too far up the ground at times. We really need a mobile CHF with strong hands.
Bryan was good but I thought we did not take advantage of his tap work at times.
Cox is a defender.
Archie needs to work out defensive transition.
Hind worked hard to give us some run.
Just go no returns for the amount of footy we won through the middle and half back.
Need some marking power.

Well that sucked. They fought it out well but they also played some real crap footy in the middle of the game. The team defense has fallen off a cliff in the last 3 weeks. We have allowed sides to take short kicks through the middle and the opposition half backs are getting involved in the overlap. The midfield are pushing back to quickly and allowing space rather than holding the center square.
The forward set up was a bit of a dogs breakfast at times as well.
Peter Wright dropped too many marks. We wasted inside 50 chances with some poor kicks coming in and our half forwards where way too far up the ground at times. We really need a mobile CHF with strong hands.
Bryan was good but I thought we did not take advantage of his tap work at times.
Cox is a defender.
Archie needs to work out defensive transition.
Hind worked hard to give us some run.
Just go no returns for the amount of footy we won through the middle and half back.
Need some marking power.
When Bryan gets a bit more body size he looks like he could be a good marking player. I would have switched him forward last night, he took a couple of good grabs. Must play out the season now.

Swans half backs had a field day, Blakey & co. We bombed long to an outnumbered wright, no separation.

Guelfi, Durham, Perkins go missing for chunks of the game, though Perk looks far better in the fwd half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back