AFL Autopsy RND 7: Beaten by the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

I need to watch a replay but I think this is in the first quarter when we had no bigger bodies in the centre bounce right? The ball was coming out of there way too easily, and once it was out it would go straight to their forward line and their marking monsters piling on the goals.

It took us way too long to respond, but Setterfield and Stringer (and Perkins) all went into the midfield at points after that and neutralised the contest a bit. Didn't see that slingshot stuff for the rest of the game and I don't think it was because Chris decided to go easy on Brad.

I'm more referring to our mini run.
Danger played very little time on ground compared to what you would think.
The game swung on clearances, with our period of dominance 13-3 clearances correlating to him not being in there and us managing to score.
When they put him back in there the run stopped largely.
Wasnt just danger but you could see it happen.

My main point though was just that whilst there were some good signs, Geelong were largely managing their players at times (Hawkins spent close to 10mins off the ground at one stage).

We don't have the gear to go with Geelong (which is ok we shouldn't yet) so looking at the scores and thinking of we aren't far off is a little generous.

The good thing I feel out of that game is it showed our issues pretty plainly.
Gives us some nice data to use in the list build and who can do what.

Tsatas will be that player. eDPS is driving the hype train.

Such a shame about his injury and Reid.
Would be so much better if Scott got this season to see how they work in the team. Throw in the Wright injury and we have copped some brutal key injuries that robs us of some development.

Such a shame about his injury and Reid.
Would be so much better if Scott got this season to see how they work in the team. Throw in the Wright injury and we have copped some brutal key injuries that robs us of some development.

Reid is back playing at least, hopefully post-bye with a run of VFL games he'll be looking a bit better.

Tsatas will be a long way back fitness wise unfortunately, so wouldn't expect to see him at AFL level this year.

The game was well and truely cooked by then.

Geelong eased after quarter time and our catching up was merely a fact of their taking the foot off the throat. Not our great game plan this time around.

Geelong don’t generally take the foot off the throat - as seen with their game against the Swans.

Nothing wrong in admitting there were times that we genuinely did take it up to them and transitioned the ball effectively.

Kicking 100+ points against them isn’t easy.

Geelong don’t generally take the foot off the throat - as seen with their game against the Swans.

Nothing wrong in admitting there were times that we genuinely did take it up to them and transitioned the ball effectively.

Kicking 100+ points against them isn’t easy.

They pulled Dangerfield out of the centre when he was obliterating us and he only played 64% TOG, I don't think they were throwing everything at us. They had a pretty comfortable win, secured a nice lead early, pretty much responded all day every time they needed to stop a run of goals showing they could do it whenever they felt like it.

We were a long way off their level if that game was a must-win final.

They pulled Dangerfield out of the centre when he was obliterating us and he only played 64% TOG, I don't think they were throwing everything at us. They had a pretty comfortable win, secured a nice lead early, pretty much responded all day every time they needed to stop a run of goals showing they could do it whenever they felt like it.

We were a long way off their level if that game was a must-win final.

Dangerfield also played a similar amount of game time against Carlton and Collingwood when the game was very much in the balance.

I don’t think his TOG is an indicator.

Do not totally agree but the point was more around the damage being limited if we did play that combo early. We where never really in the game but it did make a difference compared to last year when they just keep running over Merrett , Parish and Shiel all day.

Agree - Stringer could not contain Dangerfield in the first quarter, but then when Setterfield was moved in, he partially curtailed Dangerfield, which then allowed Stringer to influence the centre bounce - Gotta say Stringer's soft hands at the fall of the ball was impresisve and lead to many clearances.

Something I’ve picked up on is our rucks have been telegraphing their taps which effectively renders any advantage useless. Draper in particular at centre bounces points his palm in the direction he’s tapping to well in advance and smart opposition midfields are reading off this and sharking them. Dangerfield was onto it from the first bounce. Whoever is the ruck coach hopefully is into this as it’s a simple fix and can shift HOTA in our favour quickly too.
Is Jamar the ruck coach?

Finally managed to watch the game after being away on the weekend.
Was boys against men early. Whatever the plan was for dangerfield early was a total failure, he was the reason they started the game 38-0. Sloppy kicks and fumbles in the contest did not help and it looked like the standard short turn around Anzac day hangover
Massive mistake to play Phillips again off a 5 day break, the coaches know he plays his best footy fresh, so why back him up again after he already had a poor game on Anzac Day. Bryan or Jones should’ve played over him.
Draper needs to have more impact as an aerial presence around the ground, his ruck contest stuff is good game to game but we need him to be a strong marking target down the line.
I think the most impressive part was after being bullied for 60 minutes in the first half and allowing geelong to do as they pleased we came out after half time and had the game on our terms for 20 minutes and actually asked the question of geelong. We kicked 4.4 in that 20 minutes and should’ve been closer before than Martin brain fade.
Hobbs looked really good, always makes smart decisions with the ball and has elite hands. Would love to see him spend some time on JHF.
Overall a disappointing day but happy with the way the boys just didn’t roll over and lose by 15 goals after the first 20 minutes. In the past it would’ve got a bit too hard for some as seen in round 1 against geelong last year.
I think we are a massive chance against port Adelaide this week, it will be critical to make the right changes in at selection. I’d love to see menzie play a full game along side tippa, and you think heppell comes in for Durham.

I don't understand trying to do ANYTHING with Setters other than play him in the midfield. Anything else is wrong.
Like Langford in defence.
If setters is playing anywhere else other than on ball I’d rather not have him in the team. Needs to be on ball at every opportunity. His size at stoppages matter, he doesn’t even need to touch the ball.

If setters is playing anywhere else other than on ball I’d rather not have him in the team. Needs to be on ball at every opportunity. His size at stoppages matter, he doesn’t even need to touch the ball.
The only reason I can fathom that he didn't start in the midfield is maybe he was still recovering from the 5 day break and they wanted to save him for later in the game.

Was recruited for midfield strength and must start there IMO. Big reason we are more competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back