AFL Autopsy RND 18: Essington crapped on by the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

i donā€™t think enough has been said about nick bryan. lots of talk in the past about how heā€™s lacked a presence but playing as essentially the third best ruck on our team and still playing well in a game this disappointing isnā€™t something to be sneezed at. while he still certainly lacks the physical presence that drapes brings heā€™s got what it takes to be a ruckman (imo) and will be a good replacement when flip moves on in the future.

just needs more meat on his bones

He had a crack at the umpire too for 500 games which is a hell of an accomplishment.

I think there is a bit of an issue in this sport with us forgetting the people.
Recognition for these things allows us to stop and realise in the moment what these things mean.
Win or lose, the accomplishment and work that got the person to that point is worth recognition, it's not a lap of honour or a me me me moment.
It's just pausing for just a second and acknowledging the work taken to get to that point.

If we can't do that, I think we lose something.
This has been Korns hobby horse for a while. Not sure why we would expect anything different from him given his dad is total old school and he was coached for many years by Mark Williams. He struggles with the concept that society and people have changed and doing things the old school way is no longer the norm.
He would last 5 minutes as a coach and he is not really a great analyst as he flip flops all over the place making bold knee jerk comments but he does create click bait which is why Hutchy can not get enough of him.

I actually had other stuff going on so would've had to go out of my way to watch - I missed the start and saw the score at 32-1, then again at 47-1 and decided it was best to pretend this game never even happened.

Coaches votes, no surprises....

Geelong v Essendon​

8 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
7 Max Holmes (GEEL)
6 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
5 Tom Atkins (GEEL)
2 Jack Henry (GEEL)
1 Gryan Miers (GEEL)
1 Brad Close (GEEL)

Geelong v Essendon​

8 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
7 Max Holmes (GEEL)
6 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
5 Tom Atkins (GEEL)
2 Jack Henry (GEEL)
1 Gryan Miers (GEEL)
1 Brad Close (GEEL)
How the * can Stewart get top votes when he only got 18 touches and cost me a same game multi? Should've had zero ******* votes.

Geelong v Essendon​

8 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
7 Max Holmes (GEEL)
6 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
5 Tom Atkins (GEEL)
2 Jack Henry (GEEL)
1 Gryan Miers (GEEL)
1 Brad Close (GEEL)
I think, because of the way things lie it has to be:

4/4
5/2
3/3
0/5
2/0
1/0
0/1

Geelong v Essendon​

8 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
7 Max Holmes (GEEL)
6 Tom Hawkins (GEEL)
5 Tom Atkins (GEEL)
2 Jack Henry (GEEL)
1 Gryan Miers (GEEL)
1 Brad Close (GEEL)
THATā€™s our problem - we urgently need more Toms on our list. does anyone have Dodoā€™s or RFKā€™s phone number? šŸ“ž

I'm not a huge fan of getting carried off unless it's someones last game, but atleast the carried him over the boundary line, they never carry the players over the boundary line these days, that's way worse than carrying someone off in their 200th.

He turns it over a LOT by foot because he over estimates how far he can kick. His kicks are floaters at best.. never shaped or at speed. His hands are good and his pace is good.

And yes draft status isn't 'fair' but * we needed to nail that pick and we didn't. We really needed a superstar. An out and out.. pull you out of the fire champion.. and instead we got a handy back pocket with dodgy disposal. urghh
There wasnā€™t really a superstar available

We would find problems with McCluggage and Taranto as well. Sure - theyā€™re better than McGrath but theyā€™re no Dusty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

at the point of our pre-game warm-up when we were running through some handball drills geelong was doing end-to-end sprints. their players started with a head of steam, we started with a whole lotta fumbling.
This makes a lot of sense

The intensity of Geelong combined with the slippery conditions and the narrow ground - we were slipping, fumbling, shellshocked.

Our game usually has a lot of flicking it around by hand until we can find someone in space, then play the angles to possess it by foot. We just couldnā€™t take the heat out of the game at all, then it was too late.

Last edited:
This makes a lot of sense

The intensity of Geelong combined with the slippery conditions and the narrow ground - we were slipping, fumbling, shellshocked.

Our game usually has a lot of flicking it around by hand until we can find someone in space, then play the angles to possess it by foot. We just couldnā€™t take the heat out of the game at all, then it was too late.
i don't know if it means anything. but it was very noticeable how much more work geelong did in their warmup.

i also noticed how consistently our wingers/forwards/backs were sucked into the contest. geelong held their width/depth all game. i suppose it makes no difference when we're getting rinsed around the ball, suspect those things are related.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back