AFL Autopsy RND 19: Essington Rides Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Was listening to the radio in the car for the second half (picking my sister up from the airport) and the commentators were scathing of our midfield. Nobody ran defensively, we didn't lock down the stoppage at all.
It was disgraceful. No one putting an arm across Bont, libba or treloar at stoppage. I don’t think the midfield group would enjoy the film review. Fox footy absolutely baked them I read and from seeing it live, they’re 100% right. It was soft and weak.

Have been critical of him but I noticed this too. Last week the same as well - quite physical tackles and body contact involved. Lots of work to do but he is trying.
He s**t himself twice in the third quarter with two insipid tackling efforts, both led to goals. Bont one, forget the other bulldog.

Just got home from Marvel - farrkkkennn it's freezing in that joint - I'd like some of those outdoor cafe heaters down the aisles.

I think last week's loss has effected the group mentally - they seemed to be jumping at shadows a fair bit tonight - very timid.

We look like a completely different side that took on the Crows and Power - I mean, what happened!?!

We are cooked without Rids - poor lad - I love this dude.

OMFG the umps - I'm never all about the umps but that was a clown show - a circus - a gang bang of incompetence.

Didn't expect to win - our record is so poor against the hounds however - no will or intensity once they lit the fire.

Why do our forwards not try and at least hit up some of those fwd entries - sometimes you gotta bomb it in there due to the way the modern game is played (too many bodies in the same space) - good teams anticipate this and embrace it - we look like we are surprised for the 900th time. fml.

GeezusHLord it was cold in there tonight - like a meat locker - or one of those walk in beer rooms in the grog shops.

Scott needs to make some hardcore (and hardluck) list calls at season's end - otherwise - rinse and repeat.

Our game plan is terrible,
Chip,
Chip, chip, switch, chip, chip, switch back again, chip, chip, long bomb to an out number and then they Walts it away.
There’s a reason why all our defenders had high 20’s disposals.
Woeful

Think bubble may have burst unfortunately, the poor form will masked by a couple of cheap wins against north and west coast but we are way off the mark.

Tired and flat.

Came out of the blocks well but did not put enough scoreboard pressure when we were on top. Still seem unable to stop teams kicking multiple goals in a row with ease.

Had our chances but must nail those clutch goals.

I think last week's loss has effected the group mentally - they seemed to be jumping at shadows a fair bit tonight - very timid.

We look like a completely different side that took on the Crows and Power - I mean, what happened!?!
Much like Round 1, 2022. Demoralised, physically sore, and a flaw in the game plan exposed, ready to be exploited every weekend from then until August.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The plodders can’t hide when it’s hot in the kitchen. Heppell, Guelfi, Snelling are a yard off. Laverde & Kelly can’t play in the same back 6, it’s one or the other. Perkins needs a spell in the VFL to get some touch too.

I don’t think we win another game other than Norf/Weagles. Water finds its own level eventually.

Many times after a win this year I’ve said “normally that’s a game we lose”. Well in the last two weeks we’ve regressed horrendously and put on very classically Essington performances and lost in a manner that we’ve grown so painfully accustomed to.
We’re only two games above 15th on the ladder and on current form may well only eek out 1 more win this year. Bottom 4 finish remains on the cards.

Play the kids and finish 10th to 12th

Key defender needed. Forward set up still not right (more pressure needed)

Not fit enough long term but I thought it would take a year to get used to the heavier loads and standards.

DP3 should leave if he has any sense.

Bevo said in his press conference that they came up against a style they hadn’t seen this year.

Now at Round 19 that means we’re clearly doing something that 16 other clubs aren’t and not in a good way. The fact it took them 5 minutes in the second quarter to obliterate our ‘style’ is a testament to that.

We desperately need a CHF, a small forward and a KPD that can negate a 1v1 contest.

If Harry Jones isn’t the CHF answer then we have to go out and find one, because players like JUH don’t fall in our lap (unlike the Dogs)

We also need to get Setterfield and Tsatas into that midfield mix next year as they’re the only ones over 6’1”

Many times after a win this year I’ve said “normally that’s a game we lose”. Well in the last two weeks we’ve regressed horrendously and put on very classically Essington performances and lost in a manner that we’ve grown so painfully accustomed to.
We’re only two games above 15th on the ladder and on current form may well only eek out 1 more win this year. Bottom 4 finish remains on the cards.
I think we'll pinch a couple to be fair.

Was hard watching that, got butchered in the midfield and shutdown being too slow on the switch. The younger mids didn't have the grunt to match the doggys senior players tonight.

Overall Doggys have a pretty balanced team, I think they will get further this year than a lot are giving them credit for. They have quality in all positions and Bontempelli is a star. Anyways back to the bombers, a couple of opinions.

Would rather have Menzies in the fwd line then Guelfi.
Don't think Cox on the wing is the answer especially with our chipping/switch play game plan.
Phillips is a battler but he is all we got atm. Bryan is another year off in my opinion, if you look at the hitouts we could have easily survived the game without him.
Kelly does some good things early but the run we got from Hind is more valuable imo
Overall confidence is down and the boys look tired.

On Mcgrath - I drafted him this year in fantasy so i've been keeping a close eye. In my opinion he gives the absolute bare minimum in effort just to get by, and I haven't once seen him put his body on the line for the Bombers. Also feels like he only tackles when he has to and only because he has to, if that makes sense? He doesn't seem truly committed, as close to a paycheck AFL player as I have seen, which is disappointing considering he was a no.1 pick and earmarked as a future star. Am I off on this assessment?

Menzie, Baldwin, Tsatas, and Voss for starters. Maybe Montgomerie too. The result can't be worse than this but the last two weeks, we had a team full of blokes who didn't give a *.
So with exception of tsatas, replacing fringe with fringe? I don’t disagree that some others should be given a run to see how they fit. But it’s not like we have anything other than fringe to replace the fringe. Kind of just spinning the wheels

Our game plan is terrible,
Chip,
Chip, chip, switch, chip, chip, switch back again, chip, chip, long bomb to an out number and then they Walts it away.
There’s a reason why all our defenders had high 20’s disposals.
Woeful

Think bubble may have burst unfortunately, the poor form will masked by a couple of cheap wins against north and west coast but we are way off the mark.
Stat padding at its most obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back