AFL Autopsy RND 18: Essington crapped on by the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

A few things I picked up:
  • Some of our players telegraphing their disposals, especially the outlet handball coming out of defence. McGarth does it a lot (yes, I now call him McGarth) and it allows the opposition to set up a disposal or two in advance.
  • Many have noted the panic that set in quickly in the midfield. I think the guys probably felt like they were stuck between a rock and a hard place because the pressure was so hard and fast. I’d much rather they lock the ball into contests for periods than panic rush a handball to a mate with a guy on his hammer or dump kick it straight to Stewart all night. Yes you need to move the ball forward but lock it in until you get a feel for heat and then look for options once some composure sets in. Same thing happened Q4 on ANZAC Day and it was one reason the fumbles came on. Just relax and absorb the tackle, and keep doing it until it feels normal.
  • The Cats are masters at using their bodies in a marking contest. Our team has to get better at expecting the nudge or bump as the ball flies in. At least do it too to neutralise the contact and make it a 50/50.

Anyway, I’m not upset although it was wince-inducing to watch. There’s no other choice but to believe that the club’s on the right path.

For those who have yet to see the game (and still want to, for some masochistic reason):

In the interests of your sanity, I recommend watching the extended highlights for Bryan & Perkins (and anyone else you have a particular interest in) on the stats section of the AFL app. Getting to it is a little convoluted, but tap 'Stats' on then navigation, then tap 'Players' at the top of that page and search for the player you want to view.

Scroll to the bottom of the player's profile to get to the match highlights, tap the video to play, and then change it from 'Highlights' to 'Extended'. (You can also use the widget below the match video to select past games for comparison purposes.)

'Extended' will give you ~15 minutes worth of timestamped clips of every stat that particular player got, including every hit out that got sharked, every clanger, every spoil and one percenter. Not just the disposals that had positive outcomes.

While it won't necessarily give you a good view of structures, you tend not to get that from the television coverage anyway so you're not missing much 😝
Thanks, this is really useful! I am going to watch the full replay to really stew in the mediocrity.

It's why I said I want to see a pre-season with wall to wall repeat sprints.
Without knowing what our gps numbers are I do wonder if Scott is restricted game plan wise by a lack of general endurance. Remember the Richmond match where at one stage (in the 3rd qtr from memory) all the top runners were their players.

Kane doesn’t pull any punches - can’t work out if he’s particularly anti-bombers or just shock-jock and cantankerous to everyone in general
Definitely a shock jock. Don't think he's cantankerous, struggle to believe he cares about anything he says 99% of the time, with the obvious exception of Port Adelaide.

Alas, the same thing happened again and we didn't take note. We panicked when we had the ball, and they had all the time in the world when they did. Eventually that translates to better efficiency for them, and unforced errors galore for us.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon

Smelling the roses that do come along now and then is better than perpetual misery.

I take your point though. I wonder if the less patient amongst us are more or less likely to have seen any Essendon success in their lifetimes?
Yeah although sometimes we need to realise it's just a game at the end of the day and that's it. Life goes on and you have to fend for your self. The club isn't going to put food on the table and pay the bills.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we all get caught up in the heat of the moment but then just move on. There's a whole lot more going on in life than sport.

Got to say I agree 100%

Nah * off. 200, 250 games are massive achievements and deserve recognition whatever the result

Got to say I agree 100%

He had a crack at the umpire too for 500 games which is a hell of an accomplishment.

I think there is a bit of an issue in this sport with us forgetting the people.
Recognition for these things allows us to stop and realise in the moment what these things mean.
Win or lose, the accomplishment and work that got the person to that point is worth recognition, it's not a lap of honour or a me me me moment.
It's just pausing for just a second and acknowledging the work taken to get to that point.

If we can't do that, I think we lose something.

Chair off for the last game of a retiring club champ. Maybe clap off for 200 if you win. And nothing if the team performance was a shameful disgrace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a crack at the umpire too for 500 games which is a hell of an accomplishment.

I think there is a bit of an issue in this sport with us forgetting the people.
Recognition for these things allows us to stop and realise in the moment what these things mean.
Win or lose, the accomplishment and work that got the person to that point is worth recognition, it's not a lap of honour or a me me me moment.
It's just pausing for just a second and acknowledging the work taken to get to that point.

If we can't do that, I think we lose something.

For a sport in desperate need of umpires we should definitely be celebrating them when they have a major achievement.

The game doesn’t happen without them.

i was at the game last night and here's my thoughts;

i get a lot of flack around here for trashing our midfielders. but everywhere you looked a bigger, fitter, more powerful geelong player shut our mids down last night. we are so dependent on draper to protect our mids.

geelong are a top 4 side in disguise. they were hot. i think they're better than port and probably the dees. the other two remains to be seen.

jake stringer is dogshit. weidemann is dogshit. zerk is dogshit.

at the point of our pre-game warm-up when we were running through some handball drills geelong was doing end-to-end sprints. their players started with a head of steam, we started with a whole lotta fumbling.

chris scott has an amazing strut.

i was at the game last night and here's my thoughts;

i get a lot of flack around here for trashing our midfielders. but everywhere you looked a bigger, fitter, more powerful geelong player shut our mids down last night. we are so dependent on draper to protect our mids.

geelong are a top 4 side in disguise. they were hot. i think they're better than port and probably the dees. the other two remains to be seen.

jake stringer is dogshit. weidemann is dogshit. zerk is dogshit.

at the point of our pre-game warm-up when we were running through some handball drills geelong was doing end-to-end sprints. their players started with a head of steam, we started with a whole lotta fumbling.

chris scott has an amazing strut.
they were on, we weren't
I think they're the best side in the comp in the latter part of the season.

We've been blitzed and responded this year. this one was different. Geelong were building their premiership tilt and we weren't able to disrupt that.

They're reigning premiers for a reason. We're coming from bottom 5 and sat top 5 playing the 3 best sides in the comp twice this season.
On the balance of things, it's a season to be happy with. But we're still a bit off the teams chasing the best, and we're a good ways off the best

You mistake me for someone who cares about the actual toxicity of different types of poo. Read the room dude.
Just Kidding Jk GIF

For those who have yet to see the game (and still want to, for some masochistic reason):

In the interests of your sanity, I recommend watching the extended highlights for Bryan & Perkins (and anyone else you have a particular interest in) on the stats section of the AFL app. Getting to it is a little convoluted, but tap 'Stats' on then navigation, then tap 'Players' at the top of that page and search for the player you want to view.

Scroll to the bottom of the player's profile to get to the match highlights, tap the video to play, and then change it from 'Highlights' to 'Extended'. (You can also use the widget below the match video to select past games for comparison purposes.)

'Extended' will give you ~15 minutes worth of timestamped clips of every stat that particular player got, including every hit out that got sharked, every clanger, every spoil and one percenter. Not just the disposals that had positive outcomes.

While it won't necessarily give you a good view of structures, you tend not to get that from the television coverage anyway so you're not missing much 😝
Some would have to be on super slow-mo to make up 15 minutes!

We have gotten as high as 5th. 5th for a developmental year is good imo. The season so far outweighs the Geelong loss from a personnel perspective by bringing Brad in plus Zach as our captain and from a game plan pov the group is defending more and is competitive. This new and motivated side has tested some good opposition. Plus wins in the first half of the year to be a contender for finals rather than the second half when the season is over and the pressure is off.
Brad acknowledges that we are not an A grade side and the loss demonstrates that. But it’s not all dire. It’s not bad history repeating. It’s just a loss. It was surprising it was by that much but it’s not going to undue the work done this season. The real lessons come from being 5th and aiming for higher next year.

We have gotten as high as 5th. 5th for a developmental year is good imo. The season so far outweighs the Geelong loss from a personnel perspective by bringing Brad in plus Zach as our captain and from a game plan pov the group is defending more and is competitive. This new and motivated side has tested some good opposition. Plus wins in the first half of the year to be a contender for finals rather than the second half when the season is over and the pressure is off.
Brad acknowledges that we are not an A grade side and the loss demonstrates that. But it’s not all dire. It’s not bad history repeating. It’s just a loss. It was surprising it was by that much but it’s not going to undue the work done this season. The real lessons come from being 5th and aiming for higher next year.

We were actually 1st at one stage so it's been a big drop off to currently sit 8th by a small amount of %

:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back