C [1] Mikayla Bowen, [41] Georgie Prespakis, [9] Nina Morrison
C [27] Sophie Van De Heuvel, [10] Jacqui Vogt, [28] Mia Busch

FOL [46] Erin Hoare, [3] Amy McDonald, [4] Darcy Moloney
FOL [30] Stephanie Wales, [4] Madison Prespakis, [5] Georgia Nanscawen

HF [12] Renee Garing, [5] Jacqueline Parry, [7] Kate Surman
HB [7] Kodi Jacques, [14] Ellyse Gamble, [19] Mia Van Dyke

FF [14] Chloe Scheer, [45] Aishling Moloney
FB [25] Alexandra Morcom, [36] Brooke Brown

I/C [6] Julia Crockett-Grills, [20] Zali Friswell, [15] Shelley Scott, [44] Melissa Bragg, [22] Rachel Kearns
I/C [16] Matilda Dyke, [9] Brooke Walker, [17] Georgia Clarke, [33] Amber Clarke, [22] Amelia Radford

EMG [32] Gabbi Featherston, [19] Brooke Plummer, [39] Abbey McDonald
EMG [13] Lily-Rose Williamson, [23] Renee Tierney, [26] Ashleigh Van Loon

IMG_0058.jpeg

Channel 7

Fox Sports 3

Kayo

AFL Official App

AFLW Official App

Our backline needs a big overhaul. I’m less centred on the players in this case but more on the coaching.

I don’t see any of the basics implemented by our backline. They don’t attempt to spoil, they don’t know how to compete in the contest through body work. And some of the basics like playing percentages, spoiling, running the ball over the line when under pressure just aren’t done. We need to look at our coaching staff. I don’t think our defensive list is there yet but the coaching is seemingly not focusing on the right areas. When we get beaten out of the centre we get absolutely smashed
We try to play player on player with one or two back sweeping. Numbers get sucked in to the contest, our plus one or two are left to cover loose players and the opposition get out our defensive side with plenty of room to work in.

Still think our issue is more lack of speed than set up issues. We get burnt on the outside because we are not overly quick and can not always get in position. When sides cut down our kick mark game and force the dump kicks we struggle if the ball gets out of the contested area. They try and cover but there are sides we can not go with due to lack of leg speed. They need to find a bit more pace on the outside so we can actually play a bit more of an expansive game.

Still think our issue is more lack of speed than set up issues. We get burnt on the outside because we are not overly quick and can not always get in position. When sides cut down our kick mark game and force the dump kicks we struggle if the ball gets out of the contested area. They try and cover but there are sides we can not go with due to lack of leg speed. They need to find a bit more pace on the outside so we can actually play a bit more of an expansive game.
We get burnt on the outside because there is never anyone in position to close down that space. There's simply no excuse in a game that has quite a few stoppages to have players standing next to teammates rather than running to position. You do the hard work early to get to position and it's easy from there.

Trying to go player on player and allowing that space to open up is what makes the side look so slow. We have a few players with pace, and used to try to use that to burn sides out the back. We were attacking that way at the start of the season IIRC.

Maddy Prespakis injured what appeared to be her ankle early in the game. Was very ginger on that one leg, but still played it out.

Toogood needed to be everywhere.

Unfortunately for us, Moloney chose today for her break-out game and it was all over by half-time. I thought our backline struggled early but did well late, though that was also after Scheer had gone off.

Our forwards couldn't stop Geelong well enough on transition, seemed to be out-numbered in attack and Geelong were able to move it out quickly and efficiently too often.

A lot of our players were pre-occupied with trying to act tough after the play than actually affecting the play when it was there to be won. A few contests when our players seemed intent on causing an injury they only ploughed into their team-mates.

It'll be a good learning experience and keeping the cats goal-less at home in the last half was a good finish, though the score-line at the end was flattering given how we got our goals from ill-discipline.

I got the shits yesterday afternoon so I think I must have been invested. They had a terrific season and were more fun to watch than the men. Daria Bannister and Steph Cain out really hurts us. Would have liked to see Wales push forward to be more of a support. Also don't think Prespakis and Nanscawen can do all the heavy lifting themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dare I say it we need a couple of Irish girls . They seem to have a bit of speed and attacking flare.
Th Irish girls quickly pick up the game and seem to be versatile enough to play in different positions. The club has missed a trick by not effectively picking up free players.

You are 100% correct - Speed is needed more in the women's game to offset the lack of kicking penetration by many of the players - Unfortunately, the girls are unable to hit the fast moving kicks that can break up a zone.

Back