AFL Autopsy RND 23: Buried and cremated by the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

What a relief that this fraud team finally get the full treatment, hopefully this will be the catalyst for a forensic list review in the offseason. They better be playing with line in the sand intensity next week if they don’t want to get completely humiliated, show some ******* pride

This aspect is destroying us. We have fallen off the cliff in the back half of the year. Hogan took over double marks inside 50 than our whole team. Do we even train this aspect anymore? Well below our season averages too.
1692450669609.png

What frustrates me more than anything is im unsure of the messaging from Scott. Our priority is to focus on development of our list to maximise our potential yet there has been a clear and gradual decline in the performance since the Adelaide game.

Losing to Port by a point - we are not far away from the best sides in the competition.

A month or so later getting over the line against WCE. We have a young list and we need to be ‘up’ for every game. No AFL game is easy.

After losing to GWS - we played poorly and we have a lot of work to do. We don’t deserve to be playing finals…

What are we as a club? Are we improving? Is it expected that a developing list falls away so quickly? Why is stringer and Tippa so unfit at this time of the year? Why did Mahoney leave and does that have something to do with the football operations? So confused.

We’ve had a key list management guy leave and someone else announce their retirement last week.

If I was a betting person decisions for next season are already being made and some of those decisions have caused most of the list to give up.

The most likely outcome seems to be the complete destruction of the roster/playing group. This team is playing like they won’t be here next season so why bother

What frustrates me more than anything is im unsure of the messaging from Scott. Our priority is to focus on development of our list to maximise our potential yet there has been a clear and gradual decline in the performance since the Adelaide game.

Losing to Port by a point - we are not far away from the best sides in the competition.

A month or so later getting over the line against WCE. We have a young list and we need to be ‘up’ for every game. No AFL game is easy.

After losing to GWS - we played poorly and we have a lot of work to do. We don’t deserve to be playing finals…

What are we as a club? Are we improving? Is it expected that a developing list falls away so quickly? Why is stringer and Tippa so unfit at this time of the year? Why did Mahoney leave and does that have something to do with the football operations? So confused.
Yeah, something is off there. The whole list seems glaringly unfit.

Players are jogging with zero intent. Nothing to do with training loads IMO, they have completely checked out and were never AFL fit.

This preseason better get some results. Screw the performance nerds, I want players spewing up after each session!

Sides start working out how to play us and we have no answers. We had one trick and when that was shut down we have nothing. Midfield balance is not right and not just in a contested footy was. None of them can out mark an opposition midfielder. No CHF. FF who has lost his marking. No FB. Young blokes who struggle defensively. Young blokes in the side that are simply not ready. Rucks who can only manage limited marks per game between them. Lack of genuine hard edge leadership .Dare I say it we looked better early in the year when Weideman was playing okay (not great but okay) when his form as the lead up CHF fell off the cliff so did ours. As bad as some of his and Jones's form was they where making contests in front a lot of the time. Now we do not even make the front in a contest. There is 4 or 5 years work to do with this list. We are coming from a base of no success and a soft underbelly. It will take all of 7 to 9 years to turn that around and we only set out on that journey at the end of 2020 but had to sack the coach as he was the wrong coach for what we needed.
Can’t disagree with any of that. We desperately need talls that can mark in transition. Half the time we don’t even have anyone who can half a contest and bring the ball to ground. As much as people rip on Jones, he always provides that when he plays. In my opinion we haven’t played sustained good footy since Anzac Day, even the win streak mid season we weren’t playing well imo. We were terrible against Richmond, got hot late, played 1 good qtr against Carlton and blew them out/ Carlton should’ve been up by 5 goals at half time.

Can’t disagree with any of that. We desperately need talls that can mark in transition. Half the time we don’t even have anyone who can half a contest and bring the ball to ground. As much as people rip on Jones, he always provides that when he plays. In my opinion we haven’t played sustained good footy since Anzac Day, even the win streak mid season we weren’t playing well imo. We were terrible against Richmond, got hot late, played 1 good qtr against Carlton and blew them out/ Carlton should’ve been up by 5 goals at half time.
The Blues game was certainly a mirage . They kept giving it back to us and it was not through our pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only good thing I've taken from this is Scott's comment post-game that the footy department needs fixing, and a concession that they got it wrong at the selection table.
We had like 2 afl standard players playing in the vfl. Blaming the selections is an easy out

Didn’t get to see much of this - I’m going to be honest that was mostly by choice because the game was over by the time I got a chance to take a look…

Honestly the worst loss I've ever seen. Even the top-ups showed more fight than these bunch of spuds. What a disaster.

Any goodwill we earned in the first half of the year was completely erased in one afternoon.
Pretty much what Scott said.

He has certainly stabilised the club off the field, is this the catalyst for real change on field?

Can't say I watched all the game, but Andy McGrath 32 possessions?
I guessing were not getting a lot of value from those possessions when we lose by 126.

The only good thing I've taken from this is Scott's comment post-game that the footy department needs fixing, and a concession that they got it wrong at the selection table.
He also said the list.

Honeymoon period is well and truly over. Thing I like about Scott is (from what players have said) is he is not "one of the boys", too matey with the players. Sets clear boundaries and makes hard calls much easier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back