AFL Autopsy RND 23: Buried and cremated by the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Merrett gets 3
Langford 2 for trying all day
And we all get a point each for supporting this club.
Langford 3 for kicking multiple goals
Caldwell 2 for kicking a goal
Phillips 1 for kicking a goal

Menzie stiff

Langford 3 for kicking multiple goals
Caldwell 2 for kicking a goal
Phillips 1 for kicking a goal

Menzie stiff
Haha. Fair
As an aside, i love menzie. Kid busts a gut and you can see he'd run thru walls to get the ball and kick a goal.

We need that dna.
Right now menzie, merrett and langford look like the only 3 playing with any sense of hunger.
Even redman has dropped off since his contract.

Dont believe scott has all of a sudden lost them in the last 4 weeks, but something has happened and we've reverted back to august '22 bombers

Haha. Fair
As an aside, i love menzie. Kid busts a gut and you can see he'd run thru walls to get the ball and kick a goal.

We need that dna.
Right now menzie, merrett and langford look like the only 3 playing with any sense of hunger.
Even redman has dropped off since his contract.

Dont believe scott has all of a sudden lost them in the last 4 weeks, but something has happened and we've reverted back to august '22 bombers

Sounds about when Ridley got injured

Earlier in the year we beat GWS. However yesterday I had little hope. We beat them because Stringer played a blinder and was kicking running torps from 60 but looks cooked now - a healthy Stringer has such an impact on our play but also team confidence. Things hadn't really come together for them at that stage but they have been a different side the past 2 months. They have a lot of big bodies and I think at this stage of the year this in part demoralises our guys before the match even starts - almost like what Geelong does to us.

We’ve had a key list management guy leave and someone else announce their retirement last week.

If I was a betting person decisions for next season are already being made and some of those decisions have caused most of the list to give up.

The most likely outcome seems to be the complete destruction of the roster/playing group. This team is playing like they won’t be here next season so why bother
Realistically, how many changes to the playing list can actually be made in one post-season?

Are you sure about that? Would you be prepared to go through what norf have since doing so? It's pretty easy to say sack everyone but that's a long road back.
No, not everyone. But our poor form is being explained, by some, as Scott assessing the list in preperation for a clean out. I'm curious as to how far he'll go, if this is the case.

Realistically, how many changes to the playing list can actually be made in one post-season?

Depends on your competence level.

If incompetent 44. Just trade and delist everyone.

Based on a realistic expectation of competence about 15 is the max, but I would expect less. Maybe 6-8 mostly VFL players and retirements

If you break it down individually and do say 35 trades and win all of them there’s nothing wrong with trading the whole list and you would be in a better position. Of course the likelihood of 35 successful trades in 1 week is insanity but it’s theoretically possible.

….

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was a betting man I'd say not as far as most on the outer would be happy with.

See it also depends on who the replacements are.

Ie if you delisted Weid/mcbride and replaced them on the list with FAs McKay and Bailey Williams that’s a huge change to the AFL defense.

You’ve replaced 2/7 of the AFL defence but only changed 2/44 of the list.

So it becomes about impact of the replacements as much as anything else.

This team is about 5-6 AFL players short or about 2 on each line. They have about 500-600k per spot to find those upgrades.

If you replaced the 6 worst players on the AFL list with top 8 at their position players just by spending money the list would be a lot better pretty fast

As bad as that loss was yesterday, we are still 10th on the ladder.
Still ahead of Geelong, Richmond, Fremantle, Adelaide. 3 teams of which many thought they were going to go far this year into the finals.
Just percentage behind Bulldogs, a team that's list says they should be top 4.

Sure, we've had an easier draw. But none of the supporters of those teams mentioned above at the start of the year would've thought they be behind at Essendon at this time of year.

We've got a young side. We're going to get smacked around physically and mentally especially as they tire out at the end of the season.
We can only get stronger the more game time we get into these players.

As bad as that loss was yesterday, we are still 10th on the ladder.
Still ahead of Geelong, Richmond, Fremantle, Adelaide. 3 teams of which many thought they were going to go far this year into the finals.
Just percentage behind Bulldogs, a team that's list says they should be top 4.

Sure, we've had an easier draw. But none of the supporters of those teams mentioned above at the start of the year would've thought they be behind at Essendon at this time of year.

We've got a young side. We're going to get smacked around physically and mentally especially as they tire out at the end of the season.
We can only get stronger the more game time we get into these players.
If it wasnt for the deja vu, id agree.

And i don't buy the youth thing.
Hobbs, menzie, caldwell, perkins - they cracked in and they'll get there.

Wright is 26. One mark for the day as our #1 kpf. His opponent only needed 2.
Laverde has been first choice kpd for 3 years now. 2 marks
Kelly 28 - 2 marks, 1 tackle, 5 pressure acts
Redman the same

The core we've been waiting to hit 25-28 really arent giving us much outside langford, merrett and ill give parish a small pat for running all day and putting some pressure on.

Ridley isnt the diff though
Id say thats more coincidence

And its not like this is something new
Year on year we make the easy look hard, and when things get tough we go to water. Ridley or not

It’s a cumulative issue though; Ridley might have been the straw that broke the camels back after having long periods with no Draper and Setterfield as mature bodies, Weideman and Jones failing out of CHF, Wright missing half the season then not really looking 100%.

We’re a young side relying on 2nd and 3rd year players to contribute each week and they’re clearly worn out. Having a lack of battle hardened senior bodies willing to do the grunt work each week takes a toll on the side in multiple ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back