AFL Autopsy RND 23: Buried and cremated by the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

A team that brings no pressure couldn't possibly handle any pressure from the opposition.

The list is rubbish. 20 wasted years of low impact changes to avoid non contention only puts them into that position anyway. Have to do it properly, feel the pain but knowing it will be worth it long term. Not just be middle of the ladder every year and expect the supporters to accept that’s a good season. Just no solid player development or the recruitment of key players that are are match winners. Top 4 players.

I thought after the Carlton win they had turned it around. I still think there’s a positive take away this season getting wins under certain conditions with a new coach. I’m sad not bc I had expectations of finals this year but bc of the realisation that 20 years have been wasted when they could have really used that time to build an awesome list. The saga during this time set Essendon back and was shocking. However I believe it’s created a culture of player welfare over results and it’s come at the cost of success.

I know Essendon will be back but yday has to be a reality check for the club, playing group and coaches. Losing by 126 points when they were 5th on the ladder a few weeks ago requires facing the cold hard truth. And unless they get out of their comfort zone and accept and make the changes they’ve been avoiding, it will be lather rinse repeat.

No, not everyone. But our poor form is being explained, by some, as Scott assessing the list in preperation for a clean out. I'm curious as to how far he'll go, if this is the case.
Even if he does, the guy doing the trades isn't him. It's Flogoro. Which means the only place we're going is where West Coast are now.

A team that brings no pressure couldn't possibly handle any pressure from the opposition.

The list is rubbish. 20 wasted years of low impact changes to avoid non contention only puts them into that position anyway. Have to do it properly, feel the pain but knowing it will be worth it long term. Not just be middle of the ladder every year and expect the supporters to accept that’s a good season. Just no solid player development or the recruitment of key players that are are match winners. Top 4 players.

I thought after the Carlton win they had turned it around. I still think there’s a positive take away this season getting wins under certain conditions with a new coach. I’m sad not bc I had expectations of finals this year but bc of the realisation that 20 years have been wasted when they could have really used that time to build an awesome list. The saga during this time set Essendon back and was shocking. However I believe it’s created a culture of player welfare over results and it’s come at the cost of success.

I know Essendon will be back but yday has to be a reality check for the club, playing group and coaches. Losing by 126 points when they were 5th on the ladder a few weeks ago requires facing the cold hard truth. And unless they get out of their comfort zone and accept and make the changes they’ve been avoiding, it will be lather rinse repeat.
All week the talk has been how this has been a mini final.
We clearly approached it like a final proper and laid down for our opposition.

The lack of effort has to be a concern inside the club. They didn't fire a shot today and that's not good enough. Poor / weak efforts need to be identified and heads need to roll going into next week and repeat offenders gone from the club.
Which time?? This time, the one before, the one before that... the next time, one after that...
All is far too common unfortunately. They can gagf!

As bad as that loss was yesterday, we are still 10th on the ladder.
Still ahead of Geelong, Richmond, Fremantle, Adelaide. 3 teams of which many thought they were going to go far this year into the finals.
Just percentage behind Bulldogs, a team that's list says they should be top 4.

Sure, we've had an easier draw. But none of the supporters of those teams mentioned above at the start of the year would've thought they be behind at Essendon at this time of year.

We've got a young side. We're going to get smacked around physically and mentally especially as they tire out at the end of the season.
We can only get stronger the more game time we get into these players.
I think we don't mind losing and sometimes getting a real flogging, but the effort levels are what I cannot cop. Yesterday was God awful but it is repeated by this s**t show of a club! Think Geelong, think the Dogs 20 goals in a row, Sydney in Sydney for the Shiel saga which I attended, Geelong in r1 last year, gws in r1 two years prior. I can go on...
* this club!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still can’t believe the only game I’ve been able to attend live was this one. I’ve never felt so dead as a supporter.. I made my self not melt on hwre on game day.. still feeling rough today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back