Team Mgmt. 2024 Back Line

Remove this Banner Ad

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
...because we may as well complete the trifecta and set this discussion thread up for the year.

I get the hype, but we cannot play Laverde, McKay, Ridley, Cox, Reid, Hayes and Baldwin down back.
I think McKay and Ridley are locks.

Hind is aging and losing his burst speed / pace.

McGrath is a lock.
Redman is a lock.
Alwyn is training there.
Heppell is surely retired soon.

We need another speedster with skills off HB.

My backline is;
Redman - McKay - McGrath
Hind - Baldwin - Ridley

Laverde is 7th.

Cox, Reid, Hayes in VFL.
Someone will be tradebait.

Edit: will also add, the sooner we find out about JDavey, Lual and Roberts, the better. JD and Lual especially.

Last edited:
Again, don't see the point of having a new thread every year when you get 100-200 posts in it max annually, instead of having one thread.

My backline is;
Redman - McKay - McGrath
Hind - Baldwin - Ridley

Laverde is 7th.

I essentially agree with this (especially having McKay/Baldwin as our pillars, freeing up Ridley to a HBF) but I wouldn't have Hind in our best 2024 defensive group. I agree that having someone like Davey make that position their own is ideal, but I think round 1 we'll likely see Durham or Duursma on that HBF (with the other sitting on a wing with Martin).

Given Scott's predilection fgr "beloved son" selection bias, I think Heppell may edge out Laverde for 7th, at least come round 1.

I essentially agree with this (especially having McKay/Baldwin as our pillars, freeing up Ridley to a HBF) but I wouldn't have Hind in our best 2024 defensive group. I agree that having someone like Davey make that position their own is ideal, but I think round 1 we'll likely see Durham or Duursma on that HBF (with the other sitting on a wing with Martin).

Given Scott's predilection fgr "beloved son" selection bias, I think Heppell may edge out Laverde for 7th, at least come round 1.
I've got Hind there because currently we have a dearth of options for a running half-back, though I agree that I'd rather not have him in our first choice backline. The coaches obviously see that Hind has slowed down given Davey's training in defence.

Your view of Duursma is interesting. He hasn't trained yet that I know of, but I think he has a concussion history to contend with. Maybe playing back where he can see the game unfold might be helpful for his preservation. His draft notes are interesting;

"He spent time in the midfield with success, but was especially impressive off half-back against South Australia where he proved his all-round talent and finished it off with a huge contested mark in the fourth term...

He is a serious athlete, possessing pace (multiple sub three second 20 metre sprints), an elite vertical leap in which he ranked third off the right foot at the combine jumping 83cm, agility and excellent endurance results (ran a 6-minute, 30-second 2km time trial and 21.1 on the Yo-yo test at the National Draft Combine)...

On the flanks or wing, he runs and carries the ball with high metres gained and works hard on the spread offensively to get in dangerous positions forward of centre...

The way he flies into contests from any angle appears suicidal at times, but he backs his courage up with strong hands to often clunk the ball from difficult positions."

Draft Notes

I didn't realise he had those attributes so yes, Duursma seems like an excellent option. Maybe a rotation there with Durham who's a terrier defensively and can also clunk a mark.

McKay may have been overpaid to get him here but he is transformational to our group. A genuine tall player, one capable of playing on the best balls.

Freeing up Ridley is as important as any player we may have brought in in recent years.

I do agree that running defender position will be held by Hind until one of the incumbents 'pops' and takes it. A.Davey, Lual, Roberts etc.

McKay may have been overpaid to get him here but he is transformational to our group. A genuine tall player, one capable of playing on the best balls.

Freeing up Ridley is as important as any player we may have brought in in recent years.

I do agree that running defender position will be held by Hind until one of the incumbents 'pops' and takes it. A.Davey, Lual, Roberts etc.
What do you make of Duursma?

Im not sold, as a return on investment in Zerk its probably a 1 - 1 draw. Could be a good to very good player but more likely a decent role player with the occasional great game
His recent form has been more injury related issues than flat out performance issues. Not a star but he will provide us with a lot more outside run which we have not had "if" he can stay fully fit.

McKay can stand the monsters and Zerk couldn't - he'll be a big plus for us. I've got our starting backline round 1;-

Ridley McKay Redman
Heppell Lav McGrath

Hind will be important for his run and carry and should also start round 1 IMO either off the bench or as SUB.

Plenty of depth in defence also with the likes of Kelly, Cox, Baldwin, Weideman, Reid etc

I think Hind deserves to be a starter based on his efforts last year. When he was dropped he didn’t sook he performed well and got back in the team. If others go past him this year that will be an excellent outcome.
Hind is one of the few who can break lines and looked to be the only one trying when we fell off the cliff.

He needs support on the wings and players willing to use his run.

McKay can stand the monsters and Zerk couldn't - he'll be a big plus for us. I've got our starting backline round 1;-

Ridley McKay Redman
Heppell Lav McGrath

Hind will be important for his run and carry and should also start round 1 IMO either off the bench or as SUB.

Plenty of depth in defence also with the likes of Kelly, Cox, Baldwin, Weideman, Reid etc
I like Hind off the bench. He kicked two goals coming off the bench against Melbourne early in the season, so he can have that immediate impact with his pace when everyone is getting tired.

We really need pace off half-back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hind is one of the few who can break lines and looked to be the only one trying when we fell off the cliff.

He needs support on the wings and players willing to use his run.
I thought Hind looked to have lost some of his run, though not sure if it was willingness, by instruction or age. He looked like he really pushed himself to rediscover it towards the end of the season but didn't quite get there. We need the run and carry (and this was why I queried McGrath's so-called athleticism at the time) so I hope he recaptures that during the off-season. You can see why ADavey's training with the defenders though.

But what do you think of Cup_o_Jobe's suggestion of him playing off HB?
haven't seen enough of him to warrant an evaluation. Seen some but not much. If he is a winger, they would have a tank to make it work, if he has the defensive nous to work back that's another big tick.

Ive got Kelly best 22 over Heppell or Hind. Younger, competitor and has proven he can play lock down where the other 2 havent. Has always played within his limitations and can play small or medium and provides back up for the talls as he's a solid unit and as mentioned a proven hard running competitor firstly. Heppell id like to see mentoring Cox in the VFL for a halfback role. Hind and Heppell i see competing with Duursma for the running halfback/wing/half forward role from the bench. I think if Duursma is injury free he could trump the other 2 with both youth and talent. Its the same as Perkins and Stringer for me. Full strength id only pick 1 of them. Stringer is ahead on talent and production when fit, Perkins should get the spot if Stringer continues being lazy, injured and unfit.

I just don't see how Kelly's slow ball movement can be apart of the modern game at his position.
If he has options he does use them IMO. He looks slower to move the ball because he stays in his lane most of the time. On top of that we have played a conservative game style at times to reduce turnovers. He does not take the game on but he is not as slow to move the ball as much as people perceive he is. Was the same at the Crows as they had a sideways game plan when he was there.
Give him a handball or short kick option and he uses them reasonably quickly. Give him a longer option that may have a varying level of danger and he hesitates to go. People tend to remember the times he does not take on the longer kicks more than the quicker short kicks or handball gives. Of course the opposite end of the scale is McGrath who has an issue with trying to go too fast most of the time and running himself into situations where he has no options .

Whatever they decide I’m not a big fan of Kelly and Heppell in the same back line. The Freo game we looked so stagnant.

If he has options he does use them IMO. He looks slower to move the ball because he stays in his lane most of the time. On top of that we have played a conservative game style at times to reduce turnovers. He does not take the game on but he is not as slow to move the ball as much as people perceive he is. Was the same at the Crows as they had a sideways game plan when he was there.
Give him a handball or short kick option and he uses them reasonably quickly. Give him a longer option that may have a varying level of danger and he hesitates to go. People tend to remember the times he does not take on the longer kicks more than the quicker short kicks or handball gives. Of course the opposite end of the scale is McGrath who has an issue with trying to go too fast most of the time and running himself into situations where he has no options .

The playing in his lane is the problem with Kelly because his lane is limited. I have watched him burn avenues out of the defensive fifty because he does not have/want to kick longer and then the guy who presented that option is out of position for when Kelly eventually does goes sideways or backwards to a short option.

The playing in his lane is the problem with Kelly because his lane is limited. I have watched him burn avenues out of the defensive fifty because he does not have/want to kick longer and then the guy who presented that option is out of position for when Kelly eventually does goes sideways or backwards to a short option.
Have you been privy to the game plan ? There have been times they have been told not to go out of their lane and limit the turnovers.
I think people who do not like him get hung up on the times that he does not take an obvious target , which does happen , but then seem to ignore the fact that it does not always happen. In fact it happens less than when he does take good options. He is not as bad as people say IMO and there are some game plan factors in play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back