Fremantle
Suns*
Sydney*
Brisbane (A)

* Double Ups: Eagles, Collingwood, Adelaide, Saints, Suns, Sydney

edit: club finally caught up

MicrosoftTeams-image-118-.png

Don't see a loss to be honest.

I would complain about travelling every other week for a couple of months but there's 8 teams that do it for pretty much the whole season. No excuses, we have to be able to get wins away in order to be a good side.
Those teams are acclimatised to it. Generally,we are a basket case once we set foot on a plane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we want to be meaningfully successful we should be wanting a tough draw, especially at this point in our development. We need to build a culture of 'anywhere, anytime' rather than turning up for a couple of identified challenges, but not taking it seriously against the game we should win.
It's not just wins and losses. Long term its about how you win, and how you loose.

If we want to be meaningfully successful we should be wanting a tough draw, especially at this point in our development. We need to build a culture of 'anywhere, anytime' rather than turning up for a couple of identified challenges, but not taking it seriously against the game we should win.
It's not just wins and losses. Long term its about how you win, and how you loose.

That's kind of where I've ended up now too.

You get handed the draw, every media site or show analysis and goes through it and labels hard or soft before a game is played.

I understand identifying the challenges, but after that, just perform, it's quite simple.
Short break, tough teams, lot of travel, I don't really care, you know what the challenge is, put a plan in place to overcome it and do it.

If you fail, maybe the draw was a factor, but the bigger factor is you weren't good enough.
If we struggle to travel, well that sounds like a s**t team problem.
That's a team problem that has to be overcome.

That's kind of where I've ended up now too.

You get handed the draw, every media site or show analysis and goes through it and labels hard or soft before a game is played.

I understand identifying the challenges, but after that, just perform, it's quite simple.
Short break, tough teams, lot of travel, I don't really care, you know what the challenge is, put a plan in place to overcome it and do it.

If you fail, maybe the draw was a factor, but the bigger factor is you weren't good enough.
If we struggle to travel, well that sounds like a s**t team problem.
That's a team problem that has to be overcome.
The thing is, for Essendon, it's very much match up-based rather than ladder placing probably because of how horribly balanced the side is.

Collingwood for example is not as difficult for Essendon (though they are the premiers) than sides like Geelong, Bulldogs, Richmond and Port. Geelong could be bottom 4 next year and I still expect the game to be over at quarter time.

The double ups next year (Collingwood (1), St Kilda (7), Sydney (8), Adelaide (10), Gold Coast (15), West Coast (18)) isn't as daunting as playing Brisbane (2), Bulldogs (9), Geelong (12), Richmond (13), Fremantle (14) and West Coast (18) twice.

The 2024 doubles are generally sides Essendon compete with or dominate compared to the other alternative that is filled with sides that Essendon cannot beat.

Unless Essendon can start beating any side on any given day (by fixing list balance issues), the fixture will always contribute to ladder position. It's why the highest ladder position Essendon has finished since 2002 is 7th because there are always too many sides they can't beat or too many variables that they cannot overcome (hot day, rainy day, etc).

Essendon Bombers in line for prime-time AFL fixturing bonanza as league to set schedule​

Essendon could be rewarded for early season form – and a potential Anzac Day blockbuster – with more prime-time slots later in the season.

An Anzac Day victory would help deliver Essendon a bumper run home of prime time games when the fixture is updated in a fortnight.
The Bombers stand to be one of the big winners of the Round 16-23 fixture release if they maintain their good form on Thursday and conquer Collingwood at the MCG.

Essendon has blockbuster games from Rounds 16 – 18 against top-placed Geelong, reigning premier Collingwood and premiership fancy Melbourne — all at the MCG.

They will also be must-watch against Sydney Swans in Round 23 (Marvel Stadium) and against Grand Finalist Brisbane in Round 24 (Gabba).
The AFL will seriously consider putting all three Essendon games in the prime time Friday night or Saturday night slot with massive audiences almost certain.

The league has only locked in the first 15 rounds of the schedule but will update the time and dates for eight of the remaining nine rounds in two weeks.

Round 24 will remain a floating fixture, to be confirmed closer to the final round.
Carlton is also set to receive a favourable schedule in the last two months of the season with monster clashes against Richmond (Round 16), GWS (17), Port Adelaide (20) and Collingwood (21) certain to be considered for prime time slots.

But the Bombers will provide one of the most compelling storylines of the run home to September if they are in the frame to play finals and produce their first September win in 20 years.

The AFL have already shown faith in Brad Scott’s men with their early-season draw, handing them a pair of Friday night match-ups in Rounds 4 and 5 leading into the Anzac Day blockbuster.

The club has been one of the surprise packets of the first six rounds, starting 4-2 including a thrilling upset win over Adelaide on Friday night.
Despite their lack of finals success over the past two decades, Essendon has continued to draw massive crowds and strong corporate support.

A crowd of 50,144 attended Essendon’s commanding 29-point win over Western Bulldogs, while there was 73,805 in the season-opening victory over Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back