Team Mgmt. 2024 Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Hunter and Caddy also look promising but have been at the club for 5 minutes and we don't know if their game will transition to AFL.
Given the way they were recruited (and then Hunter retained), the club seems to expect that their games can transition to AFL as a bare minimum.

Granted the proof of the pudding will be in the eating, and there are always Francis types, but this isn’t Voss and McBride so we can have some hope…

I want no more than one tweener in the forward line. Perkins is the obvious one to be a mid, so he plays vfl as a mid for me. It's unpopular but it's for the best imo.
It’s a forward 7 and there is room for two tweeners

Wright
Jones / Caddy / Hunter / Reid
Langford
Stringer / Perkins
Gresham
Menzie / Guelfi
Davey / Davey / Wanganeen

They have the same health

Imo there is just no way Perkins is anywhere near Stringer, its fanciful

Menzie extra .6 shots on goal, Goal Assist, SI and id be interested in disp efficiency outside of shots on goal over Guelf is significant considering age in the system and potential upside/ceiling

How much difference is the premiership side KPFs in Mihocek and Mcstay vs Langford, Stringer and Perkins (If we exclude H.Jones in this case) ?

ATM
i see it as

Perkins vs H.Jones (Although differing players)

I unfortunately don't have Stringer as starting in the main side. I just don't feel that his fitness, while improved, is at the standard to compete at the highest level for weeks at a time. It's sad, but that's the way it is.

Stringer is becoming quite the conundrum
We all know how good he can be - his 2021 season was something else - but it’s 2024 now and we haven’t him consistently impact games like that since.
But right now our forwardline looks much more dangerous with him in it than not. Sure he’s injury prone, and is he doing all the right things to be at his best when he’s not playing? Possibly not..
But he’s simply too good to leave out of the team.
For me he’s a round 1 start - even if it’s off the bench or as SUB and with very little or no time in midfield. Plonk him in the forward pocket - he will still cause headaches of opposition coaches and out muscle and hustle most defenders in the game. One thing he hasn’t lost is X-factor..
Also - comparisons to Perkins are laughable - I like Archie but he is unlikely to ever reach the heights Jake has - premiership player, 30+ goals in a season 5 times, strength and flair few in the game have…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Stringer is becoming quite the conundrum
We all know how good he can be - his 2021 season was something else - but it’s 2024 now and we haven’t him consistently impact games like that since.
But right now our forwardline looks much more dangerous with him in it than not. Sure he’s injury prone, and is he doing all the right things to be at his best when he’s not playing? Possibly not..
But he’s simply too good to leave out of the team.
For me he’s a round 1 start - even if it’s off the bench or as SUB and with very little or no time in midfield. Plonk him in the forward pocket - he will still cause headaches of opposition coaches and out muscle and hustle most defenders in the game. One thing he hasn’t lost is X-factor..
Also - comparisons to Perkins are laughable - I like Archie but he is unlikely to ever reach the heights Jake has - premiership player, 30+ goals in a season 5 times, strength and flair few in the game have…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I doubt Perkins has the raw talent of Stringer; pick 5 vs. Pick 9, go figure. I think the comparisons have simply been on what's looking like developing similar size and strength for the dual role Stringer has as a forward-mid.

If Perkins were to have a breakout year though, what that might look like is anyone's guess.

I unfortunately don't have Stringer as starting in the main side. I just don't feel that his fitness, while improved, is at the standard to compete at the highest level for weeks at a time. It's sad, but that's the way it is.

It's no different to previous years though. I can't see him playing any VFL.

Perkins is a bit of a conundrum

not quite the impact of Stringer as a HF
not quite the midfield awareness of setterfield as a BBM
i'd throw in nowhere near the mid tall fwd game of Langford too

everyone firing, our fwd line is still a bit up in the air

Mid* Langford Gresham
Menzie Wright Stringer
*need to expect likes of Parish, Merrett, Hobbs, Caldwell, even Tsatas and Shiel will need to put in a fwd shift.

Perkins has proven to be able to have a 20 goal season. If Martin moves to HB and Perkins is dropped that’s another 40 goals the team has to find somewhere.

He’s going to play as your Mid/Forward and do decently

Some quality remarks on the forwards in match sim today. Jones flying at anything, taking his marks and very vocal. Caddy toweled up by McKay and getting frustrated - good education with Cloke. Stringer looking sharp and competing for the full 80 minutes plus drills etc. Between quarters. Perkins 50% sighted, no match sim. Gresham in everything and Alwyn playing as a small forward. Reports I read suggested the forwardline not as settled as backs yet, which is probably to be expected.

Interesting chat in the pre season game thread, cAsEy_18 raised it, we need greater pressure in the front half, who is going to provide it?

You would think Wright, Langford, Stringer are locks.

Perkins? Caddy? Gresham? Jones? Menzie?

None of them really scream pressure.
This is why I think Guelfi will play most weeks.

The awkward part is that Langford and Stringer are structurally very awkward. They aren't key forwards really but they don't put pressure on like a small (like someone like Darling did in his pomp at a similar height). I reckon we can only afford one of them inside 50 personally, but that's just me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting chat in the pre season game thread, cAsEy_18 raised it, we need greater pressure in the front half, who is going to provide it?

Menzie isn't too bad pressure-wise, he doesn't have the closing speed of an AMT though. I also think Gresham is OK on that front.

Without one or more of that Hind, Wanganeen, Davey, Davey Jnr group of players down there we don't have any small forwards with genuine leg-speed.

Caddy for a taller player is meant to be decent as well.

One of the things I loved about ATM was his ability or awareness to sense when the opposition was going to change direction when others don't. He would line them up and time the tackle/bump/smother to perfection. Don't think it is teachable. Maybe he able to see it as he was able to do it so well himself. Unfortunately we don't have anyone with the vision or power to execute that kind of pressure. Big hole whilst we wait for someone to develop or step up to provide it.

I'm thinking something like (assuming full health) -

Wright & Langers - 100% locks
Stringer & Gresh - 98% locks
Everyone else

I think Weideman plays a big part again this year, as well as Guelfi.

Posted in the other thread.

Wright should be a Forward/Ruck.

Forward line of this by the end of the season would be my preferred option

Wright/Draper
Caddy
Langford
Gresham
Menzie
Davey

Perkins/Stringer off the bench as seventh forward.

Posted in the other thread.

Wright should be a Forward/Ruck.

Forward line of this by the end of the season would be my preferred option

Wright/Draper
Caddy
Langford
Gresham
Menzie
Davey

Perkins/Stringer off the bench as seventh forward.
Hopefully either of the Davey’s can come on because we really need them to. That forward group is a lot more balanced

Still quite easily the most efficient area of the ground. Outside of Wright and possibly Stringer, I wouldn't put a large amount of money on any one else kicking 5+ for us. Really need more guys to play 18+ games and kick 40+ goals. I don't care if they are smalls or calls, Wright & Stringer need help.

thanks andleanback forgot about Langford.

Last edited:
Still quite easily the most efficient area of the ground. Outside of Wright and possibly Stringer, I wouldn't put a large amount of money on any one else kicking 5+ for us. Really need more guys to play 18+ games and kick 40+ goals. I don't care if they are smalls or calls, Wright & Stringer need help.
You got amnesia on langfords 2023?

Easily our most damaging forward now, wins 1 on 1s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back