Team Mgmt. 2024 Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Top teams in the comp kicked about 350 goals last year.

If we very optimistically assume Wright, Langford and gresh are good for 150. That’s still 200 goals to find or about 1 goal a game from 10 players.

20x Menzie, Martin and Perkins takes it down to around 140 from the rest of the list over 24 games or about 6-7 goals a game from a combined 9 players. So the team has some work to do
It’s not just execution, mostly its about supply. Langers would kick em all day every day as long as someone gets the ball in his general vicinity.

Some good points though.

Curious what the spread of goal kickers is on average for top and bottom sides..

Caldwell - H.Jones - Gresham
Menzie - 2MP - Langford (Stringer)

Happy to play HJ or 2MP more ruck if Draper can only do 70% sole ruck

Were too good elsewhere now to be carrying 2 of Draper, Goldy or Byran imo

I think it is more that he is one of the few that play with aggression than coaches rating him and to be fair up to now you can not blame Truck or Scott for wanting to play him given the number of flat track bullies we have. You would hope someone is going to step up and pass him sooner rather than later.

Certainly don’t blame them, I personally still rate him. When he is on, his impact is immeasurable - it’s just not often enough.

I think it is more that he is one of the few that play with aggression than coaches rating him and to be fair up to now you can not blame Truck or Scott for wanting to play him given the number of flat track bullies we have. You would hope someone is going to step up and pass him sooner rather than later.
That + his half-decent skill set is what's gotten him to his 90 something games. Yesterday I wasn't sure where I'd fit him in. Today I think it'll depend on who we're playing and whether we need to go taller or smaller, or how much we think we'll need his desperation inside 50.

That + his half-decent skill set is what's gotten him to his 90 something games. Yesterday I wasn't sure where I'd fit him in. Today I think it'll depend on who we're playing and whether we need to go taller or smaller, or how much we think we'll need his desperation inside 50.

I reckon Guelfi will play a lot of games as sub this year if the list is fully fit, he can plug a lot of holes and will give you 100%.

He's a bit like Jake Kelly, he sets a bar for the minimum level of effort others have to meet in order to take the AFL spot off him.

Hmmm

Mcgrath - Mckay - Laverde
N.Cox - Ridley - Redman (Hind)

N.Martin - Parish - Durham (Shiel)
Draper - Zerrett - Hobbs (Setterfield)

Gresham - H.Jones - Caldwell

Is my best 22

Sub/emg: Duursma, Perkins, Heppell

Hopefully havnt forgot anyone

We need to work out what Archie is, obviousily can play anywhere but yet to master any position

Hmmm

Mcgrath - Mckay - Laverde
N.Cox - Ridley - Redman (Hind)

N.Martin - Parish - Durham (Shiel)
Draper - Zerrett - Hobbs (Setterfield)

Gresham - H.Jones - Caldwell

Is my best 22

Sub/emg: Duursma, Perkins, Heppell

Hopefully havnt forgot anyone

We need to work out what Archie is, obviousily can play anywhere but yet to master any position
How can Archie obviously play anywhere? He has only been tried as a mid and forward, hasn't he? I think that's what we have worked out that he is and he's developing to master a forward-mid role.
Surely you wouldn't play him as a defender or a wingman.

Archie needs to accept the challenge of improving quicker and push out either Stringer or Shiel.

How Nik Cox is a walk-up start at this stage is a discussion for another thread, but wow.

How can Archie obviously play anywhere? He has only been tried as a mid and forward, hasn't he? I think that's what we have worked out that he is and he's developing to master a forward-mid role.

Archie needs to accept the challenge of improving quicker and push out either Stringer or Shiel.

How Nik Cox is a walk-up start at this stage is a discussion for another thread, but wow.
Absolutely agreed on Cox. With all our inclusions he has to dominate VFL before he gets a chance for mine. Hasn't done nearly enough.

Potential should not gift you a game IMO.

Never said Cox is a walk up start

He needs a good next 3 months but his talent is obvious in the right role (back). Hes not exaclty competing with alot at this stage...Heppell and Davey imo

Perkins has the tools to play wing. His clearance work is deplorable at this moment, ask ant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never said Cox is a walk up start

He needs a good next 3 months but his talent is obvious in the right role (back). Hes not exaclty competing with alot at this stage...Heppell and Davey imo

Perkins has the tools to play wing. His clearance work is deplorable at this moment, ask ant
Perkins isn't playing on a wing unless someone like Martin is given opportunity to play as a mid-forward and flourishes.

Currently Martin, Durham and possibly Duursma will be wings.

Also, I would have though Best 22 and 'walk up start' were synonymous, no?

Perkins isn't playing on a wing unless someone like Martin is given opportunity to play as a mid-forward and flourishes.

Currently Martin, Durham and possibly Duursma will be wings.

Also, I would have though Best 22 and 'walk up start' were synonymous, no? God no

Depends how you setup, certainly an option to have 3 wings with one coming off the bench

2 guys cant play 100% wing each

He could be Wing/FWD

And im saying he could be replacing a fall guy like Durham. Im a huge Durham fan but his spot in the side is far from cement. Weve seen that for the past 2 years

I dont have Perkins or Duursma in my side. Caldwell, Hobbs, Setterfield, Durham, Shiel are all ahead of them

Last edited:
Depends how you setup, certainly an option to have 3 wings with one coming off the bench

He could be Wing/FWD

And im saying he could be replacing a fall guy like Durham. Im a huge Durham fan but his spot in the side is far from cement. Weve seen that for the past 2 years

I dont have Perkins or Duursma in my side. Caldwell, Hobbs, Setterfield, Durham, Shiel are all ahead of them
Um, dude, don't edit my posts pls. Thx.

He could be Wing/FWD

I personally only want one of Hobbs or Caldwell in the 22 - and right now it’s Hobbs by a fair distance imo

Your wasting energy on the wrong person/people with that i believe

No ruling against answering a posters question in their quote. Can actually be beneficial for forum purposes
No, your addition to the post below makes your words appear to be mine when they are not. This misrepresents me and I would appreciate if you did not. If you simply reply where you should, then there's no issue.

Screenshot_20240106-215021_Chrome.jpg

He could be Wing/FWD

Yeah I think the third wing in a rotation would be Duursma before Perkins. Durham's as hard as a cat's head. Scott wouldn't drop the aggression and commitment he brings that easily. Was he dropped last year? I don't recall it if he was.

Yeah I think the third wing in a rotation would be Duursma before Perkins. Durham's as hard as a cat's head. Scott wouldn't drop the aggression and commitment he brings that easily. Was he dropped last year? I don't recall it if he was.
Yeh as i said from the start i dont have Perkins in the best 22

I believe his traits can suit a wing if need be

I wouldnt necessarily be playing him wing in the VFL. Depending whos playing id probably try have him as a starting onballer (Obviousily we have great depth of mids and Hately, Oneill before some of the other mids already in the VFL side) so for team sake he may have more ability forward than others

In my best side i think i had Shiel as the 3rd winger which i dont really like in that position. I think thats more likely to be Setters and Caldwell with my side

And Perkins could really jump, hes been a hard one to predict. But he hasnt had too many excuses so far. Maybe covid. But size, fitness, injury, opportunity, games hasnt been it....so the question is can he actually football at a level greater than a C grader level

Yeh as i said from the start i dont have Perkins in the best 22

I believe his traits can suit a wing if need be

I wouldnt necessarily be playing him wing in the VFL. Depending whos playing id probably try have him as a starting onballer (Obviousily we have great depth of mids and Hately, Oneill before some of the other mids already in the VFL side) so for team sake he may have more ability forward than others

In my best side i think i had Shiel as the 3rd winger which i dont really like in that position. I think thats more likely to be Setters and Caldwell with my side

And Perkins could really jump, hes been a hard one to predict. But he hasnt had too many excuses so far. Maybe covid. But size, fitness, injury, opportunity, games hasnt been it....so the question is can he actually football at a level greater than a C grader level
Do you think Brad has Perkins in the top 22?

Do you think Brad has Perkins in the top 22?
Honestly tough call

But Im not convinced he should be ahead of any of the 15 i mentioned

But PS determines a fair bit. The past 6 weeks and next 9 are crucial if we somehow stay fit

Do we think Brad has Shiel, Setterfield, Caldwell, Menzie, Durham, H.Jones in the 22?

My issue with Perkins ia that people say hes a forward first come mid, thats fine. What does he offer forward when we have 2MP, HJ, Langford, Stringer and then 2 smalls and a mid rotation (Caldwell or Hobbs). He doesnt provide speed and have the willingness to apply elite pressure which is needed most with this setup. He doesnt have the goal kicking ability or 1 v 1 skills, goal nous of Stringer, Langford. Doesnt have the size or marking ability of HJ, Langford

Because as a whole our smalls that kick goals are a bit on the slow side and not great wjth pressure he cant replace them as he makes the lacking area here worse. If we maintain everyone else on my 22 then he can only replace Harry Jones (we play very small) or Caldwell (The rotating mid)

Last edited:
Honestly tough call

But I dont think he could be ahead of any of the 15 i mentioned
Did he get dropped last year? Or was he in Brad’s 22? I’m not being a smart a**e in saying that but I believe he is higher in the order than the likes of Menzies!!!! Totally agree with you on the point of what sort of player do we want Archie to be? He is a bit of a enigma.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back