Team Mgmt. 2024 Back Line

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt. I'm looking forward to seeing what other combos work together as well, with Baldwin, Cox etc. as well. A few weeks to go yet, but as you say, match sim will tell us more.
Cox will always play medium despite him being 200cm . I think he competes for a flank spot rather than a KP post. His potential in my view is being able to use his height to intercept but play half back and use his mobility to defend the medium types.

I expect hawks to play a pretty small forward line

Mckay - Lewis
Ridley - Chol
Laverde - Breust
Mcgrath - N.Watson

Then after that its basically mids starting in the forward 50 pushing up and down the ground. Ie any of Redman, Hind, Cox/Heppell > CMac, Moore ect

I just saw it as two defenders working together. Reid is still well and truly in Brad Scotts plans as a defender. They will 100% be looking at him to be in the side. The proof will be what is happening at the start of March. There will be training sessions where McKay works with other players and Reid does as well. There was no match sim. Despite my question marks on Reid I will certainly be happy if he has had a good enough pre season to be lining up next to McKay in round 1.

Reid starting as a key back in the seniors in Round 1 would be a huge win. Would love to see it.

Hind is one of the few who can break lines and looked to be the only one trying when we fell off the cliff.

He needs support on the wings and players willing to use his run.
Totally agree, sorry I missed this post. Like I said if others go past him then all the power to them. The only one I seen go back to the VFL and seriously perform aside from him was Hobbs no one else aside from Baldwin looked close to selection!!

I mentioned using Merrett off half back a few weeks back but I’d be as happy to see Martin there. We need run, decision making and ball use - can see him playing the role and doing it well.

I like it.

I mentioned using Merrett off half back a few weeks back but I’d be as happy to see Martin there. We need run, decision making and ball use - can see him playing the role and doing it well.

I like it.
Merrett as a wing rotation then opens up more time for caldwell, hobbs, tsatas to get inside with parish.

Dont mind merrett getting fwd for some harassing and a captains goal here or there.

Ridley- mckay - mcgrath
Redman - reid - martin
Heppell

If thats rd1, could be interesting. Not something id have picked

I like it. We need more class coming out of D50. The Kelly - Heppell - Laverde - McGrath combination has taken years off my life already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if true about Martin and Reid we have basically firmed our starting back six.

McGrath McKay Ridley
Redman Reid Martin
There has been three training sessions in January. Doubt our starting line up is confirmed. :cool:

Cox will always play medium despite him being 200cm . I think he competes for a flank spot rather than a KP post. His potential in my view is being able to use his height to intercept but play half back and use his mobility to defend the medium types.
he's feeling like Ridley depth to me.

assuming all are fit, and what we've seen to date, my rd 1 line up would be
Ridley - McKay - McGrath
Redman - Laverde - Heppell

reserve line up
Cox - Hayes - Kelly
Roberts - Reid - Lual

Today's match sim apparently had McKay, Reid and Baldwin shining in defence. Some track watchers on Blitz suggesting Baldwin ahead of Laverde now, and also a suggestion that he should take Kelly's spot. I think he might be too tall (?), but I don't get to see training either.

Today's match sim apparently had McKay, Reid and Baldwin shining in defence. Some track watchers on Blitz suggesting Baldwin ahead of Laverde now, and also a suggestion that he should take Kelly's spot. I think he might be too tall (?), but I don't get to see training either.
I'm a Baldwin believer, one of his biggest strengths is his kicking, Reid also a very good kick. Backline has exciting depth now.

I'm a Baldwin believer, one of his biggest strengths is his kicking, Reid also a very good kick. Backline has exciting depth now.
Same. Some of his kicks from HB towards the end of last year were outstanding. Kicking from Redman, Ridley, Reid, Baldwin and Martin should make our attack from D50 potent.

Not sure on Baldwin taking Kelly's spot . Different role and different style of player. He did play well today but he is a KP back with a big turning circle. He will fight Reid and Laverde for the second KPD role.

Best thing for me is Reid is going well and Cox looked okay at half back today.

McKay will make a big difference if he stays injury free.

It was a solid hit out.

Not sure on Baldwin taking Kelly's spot . Different role and different style of player. He did play well today but he is a KP back with a big turning circle. He will fight Reid and Laverde for the second KPD role.

Best thing for me is Reid is going well and Cox looked okay at half back today.

McKay will make a big difference if he stays injury free.

It was a solid hit out.
Someone even commented that Port should have gone for Baldwin rather than BZT.

Can McKay and Reid play as talls together with Ridley and Baldwin as mediums? That feels too tall, and Redman and Marto aren't exactly short. Baldwin's agility might be what keeps him as depth behind Reid, whose movement is apparently a cut above. Excellent below his knees as well apparently.

Someone even commented that Port should have gone for Baldwin rather than BZT.

Can McKay and Reid play as talls together with Ridley and Baldwin as mediums? That feels too tall, and Redman and Marto aren't exactly short. Baldwin's agility might be what keeps him as depth behind Reid, whose movement is apparently a cut above. Excellent below his knees as well apparently.
I know Baldwin is 193cm but he does not play medium. They could get away with it if sides play 3 KPF types but if their are only two then no I do not see all three fitting in. Not sure I would say Reid is a cut above Baldwin agility wise but yes he does change direction better and yes he is good better at ground level despite being taller.

At the end of the day we are in a strong position with our KPD right now so who plays and who does not is not an issue for me. Sure it will lead to us losing one of them at some stage but it is what it is and that is better than last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back