Team Mgmt. 2024 Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

The more look at our forward line the more I see it is not right. We have some good players but a few are too similar and it is generally too slow.
What we lack is Devon Smith 2018 version before the knee folded up again. 2017-2019 Walla. Some real tackling pressure and some real speed.
Right now we have blokes with ability.

Langford. Good player. Good mark. Good set shot. Average pace.

Stringer. Has some X factor. Not quick. Average contested mark. Pressure okay when he is on song.

Peter Wright is good if you can get him on a lead or isolated one on one but has no core strength at all and is slower than Heppell.

Guelfi is a hard nut but lacks a bit of class.

Gresham has a bit of class but is not quick and not a manic pressure player.

Menzie is not quick and not a pressure player either. He has a bit of footy smarts but only adds to the lack of forward pressure.

Jones can not mark.

Weideman is a bit soft.

Alwyn Davey needs to find a level this year after an okay start.

Jayden just needs to play some games.

Caddy looks okay but is a couple of years off holding down CHF at a consistent level.

Ideally I would like something like the following to make it work. (dreams are free)

Cale Hooker with Peter Wright kicking ability.

Kyle Langford. He can stay the same.

Prime Walla and Dev Smith as pressure forwards.

Peter Wright with core strength to play KPF / Second ruck.

Stringer that does not get injured.

Fantasia with proper hamstrings.

Seriously though we need Caddy to make it at CHF. We need two fast small forwards. We need a FF who can hold his own as far as contested marking goes.

Guelf lacks class , didn’t see last weeks game I’m guessing
I guessing this is aimed at me. If it is I was there and watched the reply twice. He lacks class. He is a good honest hard worker but one thing he is not is a classy player.

Glad a few people are starting to take notice of the lack of defensive pressure from our smalls and the a big reason why the transitional ease the opposition is afforded against us.

Have said before but the sooner we upgrade Guelfi, Menzie (Gresham is going to be the offensive small allowed to defend minimally) the better we will become. Obviously the kids we have are not ready but we will continue to allow quick ball movement from half back with the current smalls in the from half.

Glad a few people are starting to take notice of the lack of defensive pressure from our smalls and the a big reason why the transitional ease the opposition is afforded against us.

Have said before but the sooner we upgrade Guelfi, Menzie (Gresham is going to be the offensive small allowed to defend minimally) the better we will become. Obviously the kids we have are not ready but we will continue to allow quick ball movement from half back with the current smalls in the from half.
Stop stealing my work :p That has been my hobby horse for bloody ages.

Very pleased to see in the last 3 weeks we have been lowering our eyes and not bombing it in like we have been used to. I thought the forwards got some good supply from our mids. There was some terrific passes to Jones, Langford and Stringer over the course of the game.
Its not just the lowering of the eyes but the kicking to space is helping alot. Allowing all the guys, big and small to get on the end of it.

Its not just the lowering of the eyes but the kicking to space is helping alot. Allowing all the guys, big and small to get on the end of it.
True I’m not used to seeing an open forward line over the past few years but you are right. Our forward area just looked a lot more unclogged this week.

100% right on this. Should be doing it more often. Hell I would even take kicking it to no one if the kick goes fat side and not to an out number contested situation.

Jones keeps his head up, we'll have an interesting selection decision to make

Langford - Jones - Gresham
Guelfi - Wright - Stringer

looks good.
but probably means Perkins plays a lot more mid
and the press will need to really work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

small fwd pressure is definitely lacking
seems like we're doing ok for Ti50 but with bigger fwds and mids doing the heavy lifting

View attachment 1946750

View attachment 1946752
Lack of pressure smalls is currently the biggest void imo. Every other position in the side I can envision being filled by an existing player on the list. I’m bullish on the Daveys but will obviously be at least year or two before they are truly AFL calibre.

Jones keeps his head up, we'll have an interesting selection decision to make

Langford - Jones - Gresham
Guelfi - Wright - Stringer

looks good.
but probably means Perkins plays a lot more mid
and the press will need to really work.
Think Perkins will just play midfield now.
The real issue for me is what we do with the ruck. My opinion is we can only play two off Wright / Draper / Goldy with a more mobile KP in Jones or Caddy. What worked really well was Jones in the Wright role is much more mobile and able to find more space and separation. Wright is slow. If he is not on and we keep hammering the ball to him we leak like a colander . Harry gave us more space as he was able to pull a defender a lot further up the ground and also lead them to the ball. Wright does not do that. Of course Harry has to keep the same level of form and keep taking 6 to 8 marks and kicking his 1 or 2 goals but really long term I see Wrights future as forward / second ruck if Jones or Caddy become solid lead up forwards. Wright has to be in his previous form to not be a laibility.
I suspect Scott is not thinking what I am but for me one weak spot we have is slow forwards that can not chase or transition quick enough.

Think Perkins will just play midfield now.
The real issue for me is what we do with the ruck. My opinion is we can only play two off Wright / Draper / Goldy with a more mobile KP in Jones or Caddy. What worked really well was Jones in the Wright role is much more mobile and able to find more space and separation. Wright is slow. If he is not on and we keep hammering the ball to him we leak like a colander . Harry gave us more space as he was able to pull a defender a lot further up the ground and also lead them to the ball. Wright does not do that. Of course Harry has to keep the same level of form and keep taking 6 to 8 marks and kicking his 1 or 2 goals but really long term I see Wrights future as forward / second ruck if Jones or Caddy become solid lead up forwards. Wright has to be in his previous form to not be a laibility.
I suspect Scott is not thinking what I am but for me one weak spot we have is slow forwards that can not chase or transition quick enough.
It would be nice if this worked through naturally. By the time 2m is back, I recon Goldie might be due a rest. Draper probably needs some games off with his injury history. Then of course any injuries amongst the 3.
You’d think Goldie relegated to back up more in ‘25.

It would be nice if this worked through naturally. By the time 2m is back, I recon Goldie might be due a rest. Draper probably needs some games off with his injury history. Then of course any injuries amongst the 3.
You’d think Goldie relegated to back up more in ‘25.
I hope Goldie is third in line and Bryan is ready to take the next step to number two. I hope it is before the end of the year.
Agree Sam could also need the odd break given he has not really completed many full seasons.

Someone mentioned this in the review thread but we look so much better with actual small forwards inside 50. I love Guelfi and what he brings but the nous of Gresham is different.

I cant wait to see Peter Wright back in this mix because Jones could really open up the leading lanes for him. Add in how well Langford and Stringer are going and this is starting to become not a bad little unit.

Obviously I would love a dynamic small forward, im talking Papley, Charlie Cameron levels but hope the abundance of ones we have can grow into something special.

Someone mentioned this in the review thread but we look so much better with actual small forwards inside 50. I love Guelfi and what he brings but the nous of Gresham is different.

I cant wait to see Peter Wright back in this mix because Jones could really open up the leading lanes for him. Add in how well Langford and Stringer are going and this is starting to become not a bad little unit.

Obviously I would love a dynamic small forward, im talking Papley, Charlie Cameron levels but hope the abundance of ones we have can grow into something special.
I think there can be a good mix with Jones / Langford / Stringer / Wright if we play Wright as the second ruck. Langford is a 40 plus goal forward as is Stringer. Jones is on track to be around the 25 to 30 goal mark. I do not think we can play two rucks and Wright but I suspect Scott will.

As for the small guys I agree that we need a dynamic guy or two. Gresham does his thing and adds some class but is average pace wise and constant pressure is not his one wood. From he we need two quick guys . A Davey could be one if he gets the confidence to be more physical in his tackling efforts and ground ball gets. His pressure on Friday was very good but he needs to convert that pressure into a few more tackles. Jayden is a long way back right now and Tex will not have the fitness base again .

I think there can be a good mix with Jones / Langford / Stringer / Wright if we play Wright as the second ruck. Langford is a 40 plus goal forward as is Stringer. Jones is on track to be around the 25 to 30 goal mark. I do not think we can play two rucks and Wright but I suspect Scott will.

As for the small guys I agree that we need a dynamic guy or two. Gresham does his thing and adds some class but is average pace wise and constant pressure is not his one wood. From he we need two quick guys . A Davey could be one if he gets the confidence to be more physical in his tackling efforts and ground ball gets. His pressure on Friday was very good but he needs to convert that pressure into a few more tackles. Jayden is a long way back right now and Tex will not have the fitness base again .
My thoughts exactly, re two rucks or Wright as 2nd ruck.

I think in this off season we look at one small forward and one key forward at least.

One of Tex or Jayden probably makes way whilst Guelfi is being taken over by the current mix.

I know Davey had a team-high for pressure acts vs WBD, but watching the game live I didn't feel like he brought that much heat.
Neither Menzie before he got subbed out.

The benefit with Jones is that he brings that defensive pressure, which probably affords us to go taller up forward with Wright + 2nd ruck. I think a forward set up like the below might worth trialing, but its contingent upon Langford and Stringer continuing to maintain defensive pressure:

HF: Stringer Jones Gresham
FF: Draper Wright Langford

(i think HF vs FF is largely irrelevant, they would all rotate through deep lying positions vs leading up roles)

Draper's second efforts are better than most guys his height. Would probably make Goldstein the #1 ruck for 3 quarters before subbing him out. Guelfi would be a good sub option here.

That being said, an elite small forward should be our #1 priority during free agency / trade, and then targeting a KPF in the draft.

I know Davey had a team-high for pressure acts vs WBD, but watching the game live I didn't feel like he brought that much heat.

The benefit with Jones is that he brings that defensive pressure, which probably affords us to go taller up forward with Wright + 2nd ruck. I think a forward set up like the below might worth trialing, but its contingent upon Langford and Stringer continuing to maintain defensive pressure:

(i think HF vs FF is largely irrelevant, they would all rotate through deep lying positions vs leading up roles)

Draper's second efforts are better than most guys his height. Would probably make Goldstein the #1 ruck for 3 quarters before subbing him out. Guelfi would be a good sub option here.

That being said, an elite small forward should be our #1 priority during free agency / trade, and then targeting a KPF in the draft.
the idea of such a big forward group gets lost in the inability to take big pack contested marks.

Even Wright isn't a huge contested marker. Id like us to keep the formula

Davey's pressure was fine, I don't think it sends a great message if the guy chasing and pressuring all day gets dropped.

It would be better if he stuck a bunch more tackles but I don't think it's the end of the world for his stage of development since realistically players are just going to hear footsteps and rush their disposal without checking to see who it is.

Davey's pressure was fine, I don't think it sends a great message if the guy chasing and pressuring all day gets dropped.

It would be better if he stuck a bunch more tackles but I don't think it's the end of the world for his stage of development since realistically players are just going to hear footsteps and rush their disposal without checking to see who it is.
Agree. At this stage, as long as everyone is providing pressure, he provides at least perceived pressure because he's always chasing. He has nailed two strong tackles in a couple of games now. As he gets bigger and he develops confidence in his body he'll nail more of those and create opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back