Team Mgmt. 2024 Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone mentioned this in the review thread but we look so much better with actual small forwards inside 50. I love Guelfi and what he brings but the nous of Gresham is different.

I cant wait to see Peter Wright back in this mix because Jones could really open up the leading lanes for him. Add in how well Langford and Stringer are going and this is starting to become not a bad little unit.

Obviously I would love a dynamic small forward, im talking Papley, Charlie Cameron levels but hope the abundance of ones we have can grow into something special.
That was me.
Is Kako our guy?

I know Davey had a team-high for pressure acts vs WBD, but watching the game live I didn't feel like he brought that much heat.
Neither Menzie before he got subbed out.

The benefit with Jones is that he brings that defensive pressure, which probably affords us to go taller up forward with Wright + 2nd ruck. I think a forward set up like the below might worth trialing, but its contingent upon Langford and Stringer continuing to maintain defensive pressure:

HF: Stringer Jones Gresham
FF: Draper Wright Langford

(i think HF vs FF is largely irrelevant, they would all rotate through deep lying positions vs leading up roles)

Draper's second efforts are better than most guys his height. Would probably make Goldstein the #1 ruck for 3 quarters before subbing him out. Guelfi would be a good sub option here.

That being said, an elite small forward should be our #1 priority during free agency / trade, and then targeting a KPF in the draft.
Bringing Wright back in and keeping Draper makes us too slow IMO. Wright is horribly slow.

I know what you are saying with Davey. My initial thoughts during the game where he was not having the impact he could but watching it back he was better than I thought but he still has some work to do.
At the end of the day he chased and had the most pressure acts so even though here was not the tackle pressure they where still have to rebound at full pace rather than the ease sides normally exit our forward 50.

Menzie has been okay on the defensive front. His issue is more he has lost the mojo offensively.

there’s a bit of irony around bellyaching over menzie being picked while broadly speaking being offensively weaker this season, and then saying you’d still pick him over ADJ who did hit the scoreboard and applied a ton of pressure. while i certainly don’t think it’s that black & white, i don’t see why we shouldn’t stick with ADJ going forward because i think having more opportunities in the 1s against better opponents will give him confidence.

ADJ also looked far more confident making tackles when he came on as the substitute i think against the dawkes (i think) which may imply that being able to string games together successfully will help him significantly

Even though the smalls didn’t hit the scoreboard much I was happy with their defensive performance as a collective.

Bringing Wright back in and keeping Draper makes us too slow IMO. Wright is horribly slow.

I know what you are saying with Davey. My initial thoughts during the game where he was not having the impact he could but watching it back he was better than I thought but he still has some work to do.
At the end of the day he chased and had the most pressure acts so even though here was not the tackle pressure they where still have to rebound at full pace rather than the ease sides normally exit our forward 50.

Menzie has been okay on the defensive front. His issue is more he has lost the mojo offensively.

I’d say our best 22 only has 2 of Wright, Goldstein and Draper but from a player management perspective I think it makes sense to play all 3. Goldy is ancient, Draper is injury prone and Wright is clearly best 22.

I think we just reduce the Draper and Goldsteins TOG then sub the worst of the 3 when we need run.

I thought Davey was great. His skills look like they could be really good once he gets used to the level. There were for sure a few times where he did appear to not want to go 100% at a hard ball/contest - whether that was instructed or nerves, who knows. It admittedly didn't look great. His run-down pressure looked really good though and I was confident every time he had the ball in his hands.

I thought Davey was great. His skills look like they could be really good once he gets used to the level. There were for sure a few times where he did appear to not want to go 100% at a hard ball/contest - whether that was instructed or nerves, who knows. It admittedly didn't look great. His run-down pressure looked really good though and I was confident every time he had the ball in his hands.
He has been a bit gun shy since he did his shoulder. His efforts to pressure where 500% above his VFL form which was great. Hopefully as time goes on he can gain confidence in his body. A lot of small first Australian players do not really find their feet until they are 21/22 .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back