AFL Autopsy RND 19: Essington Rides Again

Remove this Banner Ad

Stat padding at its most obvious.
Not even stat padding I don’t reckon. Just no options up the line or any real plan/way to go forward. Keep chipping it around to try and find something until we give it up.

At the ground it seemed obvious that the dogs pushed back hard allowing us the chip sideways avenue, English would run from 1 wing to the other as we switched, eventually we got bored/frustrated of chipping so we'd bomb long to a contest that we lost most times, Dogs had their plan and we couldn't find a way to work through it.

At the ground it seemed obvious that the dogs pushed back hard allowing us the chip sideways avenue, English would run from 1 wing to the other as we switched, eventually we got bored/frustrated of chipping so we'd bomb long to a contest that we lost most times, Dogs had their plan and we couldn't find a way to work through it.
the forward line lacks marking targets.. We have Wright, Langford and that is about it. Even Stringer badly out of form has never been a huge power marking type of player. He can do it, not consistently well though. Our smalls bar Guelfi (occasionally) show very little in this regard also. No contested marking ability.

The midfield struggled to get into rhythm after quarter time.

We still need to find some marking targets forward of the footy. Our total lack of ability to take a contested mark down the line kills us . It takes away any plan B and allows sides to easily defend against us. We do not get enough marks from our CHF or Rucks and our midfield group are all average marks.

People will once again line up and have a shot at Kelly but I challenge you to watch the game again and see how often All of our defenders had to hold the footy due to the fact that there was zero movement in front of the footy and just 12 or so blokes standing around in the Bulldogs zone doing nothing. It was very noticeable how poorly we worked in front of the footy.

I think Menzie should have played but I do not think him not playing made as much impact as some are saying.

The team defense was poor again. We allowed to many short lead up kicks through the middle of the ground that then allowed overlap run.

Cox did a couple of good things but he still looks lost on the wing a lot of the time.

This is just our lot. The side was not going to magically become something it is not.

the forward line lacks marking targets.. We have Wright, Langford and that is about it. Even Stringer badly out of form has never been a huge power marking type of player. He can do it, not consistently well though. Our smalls bar Guelfi (occasionally) show very little in this regard also. No contested marking ability.
You can throw the rucks in as well. I have been saying for years we lack marking power in front of the footy and it burns us as we can not control the game.

I think Menzie should have played but I do not think him not playing made as much impact as some are saying.
Just on this. Menzie is competing with Guelfi and not Snelling for a spot. Menzie apart from kicking goals had minimal involvement for a few weeks so can understand why they went Guelfi.

Just on this. Menzie is competing with Guelfi and not Snelling for a spot. Menzie apart from kicking goals had minimal involvement for a few weeks so can understand why they went Guelfi.
Agree he is not competing with Snelling as such as Snelling plays the high half forward role. He has however played with Guelfi for a lot of games so that spot is not really competing as such. They changed personal in a different way with Cox playing wing and Martin forward plus some of the midfielders or the ruck.

Would also say never underestimate the role confidence plays in modern footy. Good sides are good sides so there is no denying that. However those sides trying to build something can come crashing to earth in a big way . You lose a bit of confidence. They players start taking less risks . The work rates falls away a bit. You only have to look at Carlton. That game against us they made a few mistakes late in the second and early in the third and they fell off the cliff. They had similar issues in the game I went to against Melbourne. Now they are back with a bit of pep in their step. We will continue to go through the same in the next few years as they try and build something that is better.

That confidence doesn't come back the next week either.

You get belted the way we did last week it could take a few weeks to get that confidence back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'21 essington that one.
Teased a close contest. Stopped and allowed a blow out when it got hard.
Dees in a similar situation last week against a tougher opponent showed the tenacity to keep going.

Have to admit, im seeing where we miss Shiel. Power running from the stoppages....dogs were excellent, we were poor. Parish and Merrett did good work in and under, but didn't have a lot of space/time.

Thought Stringer should have played more mid in the 2nd half to bring him into the game. Set a nice tone early.

The bad;
Perkins, Hobbs, Caldwell had down games. I do love that the 3 of them try power through the opposition though. For a trio of young, developing mids, i'm not worried in the slightest
Menzie out a poor call. No spark when we brought the ball to ground fwd. I think its time to move on from Guelf and Snell into Menzie and Davey.
Dirty night for McGrath and he made life that much harder for Kelly.
Hepp too. I think we need to put pins in games where the teams are hard running scrappers. It doesnt suit Hepp and it's a good chance for a rest.
Martin. late onset of 2nd year blues? or are teams putting work into him.

The good;
Ridley. Injury aside, he's in AA form. Bossed Naughton and controlled the ball coming into the forward line.
Cox. For a guy who's missed a year, i thought he was really good. Hands in the air were great. Kicking is still there. And the tank is looking good.
Duz. ripping game. He's worked through a lot of deficiencies and he's become a really good user of the ball. Another MSD/SSP win.
Flip. Seems to be betting pantsed for the game, but against one of the best rucks in the comp, i thought he competed well. Midfield just couldn't capitalise.

As an aside. We need to get the dark arts in a bit. Wright especially. He just cops the infringements and keeps going. No need to stage given he gets infringed, but take a leaf out of the good forwards' books and make sure the umps know. the Poulter one should have seen him arms out appealing. Naughton does it at every contest.

I actually think it’s best we do miss finals (and save the embarrassment of another elimination loss), tweak the list and galvanise for more improvement next year. We were never going to anything more than a participant if we made the 8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually think it’s best we do miss finals (and save the embarrassment of another elimination loss), tweak the list and galvanise for more improvement next year. We were never going to anything more than a participant if we made the 8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ll probably get flamed for suggesting this but I can’t understand why you would want to miss finals. A few people have mentioned it and it is a bit of a cliché. We have been in every game bar Geelong, Brisbane up there and the bulldogs. The last couple of losses are hard to swallow but we have shown that we can match it against good sides.

We have the ability to win a final when we put it all together I think. I haven’t thought this since we were on the TB4 (allegedly).

Our ball movement did them no favours. Both players at their best are lead and mark players. We moved the ball so slowly up the field that everything was bombed on their head and spoiled.

Watching at the ground last night was infuriating. Can't see how the slow ball movement crabbing it out of defence along the boundary line wasn't a coaching directive. Didn't change all night.

The one time i can recall us going through the guts was when hind came on, floated back to help out the defenders then ran through the middle leading to a goal. Then back to the forward line for him

The midfield struggled to get into rhythm after quarter time.

We still need to find some marking targets forward of the footy. Our total lack of ability to take a contested mark down the line kills us . It takes away any plan B and allows sides to easily defend against us. We do not get enough marks from our CHF or Rucks and our midfield group are all average marks.

People will once again line up and have a shot at Kelly but I challenge you to watch the game again and see how often All of our defenders had to hold the footy due to the fact that there was zero movement in front of the footy and just 12 or so blokes standing around in the Bulldogs zone doing nothing. It was very noticeable how poorly we worked in front of the footy.

The team defense was poor again. We allowed to many short lead up kicks through the middle of the ground that then allowed overlap run.

Cox did a couple of good things but he still looks lost on the wing a lot of the time.

This is just our lot. The side was not going to magically become something it is not.
Last line is spot on. We've improved this year but the last two weeks have delivered a perfectly timed reality check to where we truly sit. No coach or game plan is going to change the fact we simply don't have the type nor calibre of players to compete at the pointy end of the year.

I’ll probably get flamed for suggesting this but I can’t understand why you would want to miss finals. A few people have mentioned it and it is a bit of a cliché. We have been in every game bar Geelong, Brisbane up there and the bulldogs. The last couple of losses are hard to swallow but we have shown that we can match it against good sides.

We have the ability to win a final when we put it all together I think. I haven’t thought this since we were on the TB4 (allegedly).

We haven’t really though - haven’t we won one game against a top 8 side or side above us or something like that?

I think we’re at least a few years away from winning a final.

We seem to have lost our forward handball and run too. Think back to Anzac Day. We would chip for a while and then bang- forward handball and running in waves. Well except for the last qtr on that day.

Controlling the ball while moving it forward strategically through the wings and taking the occasional risk through the middle.

It was a nice balance.

We haven’t really though - haven’t we won one game against a top 8 side or side above us or something like that?

We lost to Port once when we were in front on the final siren, once because a kick fell 5 metres short, were 5 goals up against Collingwood at 3 quarter time. It's not as cut and dry as we've been nowhere near the teams above us.

I think we’re at least a few years away from winning a final.
2 actually and lost to Port with a kick after the siren and had Collingwood run over the top of us with minutes left in the game. It is not as bleak as some people like to make out.

As an aside. We need to get the dark arts in a bit. Wright especially. He just cops the infringements and keeps going. No need to stage given he gets infringed, but take a leaf out of the good forwards' books and make sure the umps know. the Poulter one should have seen him arms out appealing. Naughton does it at every contest.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back