AFL Autopsy RND3: Beaten by the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

The positive is that Essington of old turn their toes up in the first and show no fight all night.
New Essington makes the same horrific selection mistakes, is putrid but not for as long and still can’t find a reliable forward target.
Jones is a worry.
Weideman is a worry.
Team selection is a worry.
Team defence is a worry.
Work rate is a worry.
Hobbs not being able to find a spot in THAT side is a worry.
Heppell is done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pathetic. That game was there to be won.

What is it with us and pissing off home as soon as we get a sniff? Is it arrogance, do we start overthinking it, or what? Does my head in.

We were outplayed most of the night and only list by 3 goals. I’ll somewhat take some positives out of that.
Red man played his worst game in 2 years, never recovered from his disaster of a first 10 minutes.
Heppell…ummm how do we get out of this situation?? Surely BScott is the one to do it.
Nothing else was overly shocking

At the end of the day you can not keep kicking the footy to the opposition. Not sure of the exact figure in the end but it was at least 6 goals from basic turnovers.

Not too often you can have a start like we did, make as many mistakes as we did, as win the game.
Did well enough to stop it getting out of hand but just too many poor kicks where it looked like we were aiming for the opposition, and some pretty ordinary defensive efforts.

Some weird selections. Weed and Stringer made us very slow and cumbersome up front, and Heppell makes us slow by foot everywhere.

Until Caldwell's 2 freak goals our small forwards were far too wayward when taking shots.

There were some good signs in amongst it all, but there's still a very long way to go

Boys played well imo. Just weren’t quite to the saints level. Massimo was excellent and showed he’s very capable at AFL level. Ridley was great. Caldwell, Merrett, McGrath, Shiel and Martin were all very good.

Our lack of talls was obvious tonight. Really missed BZT and Wright tonight. Heppell looks beyond cooked and cost us early. Stringer and Weideman didn’t do much, should have played Voss.

Too many turnovers & stupid free kicks. woeful first quarter lost it for us.

Redman's worst game ever.

Wasn't too wet so should have played Phillips. Playing Weiderman in the ruck robbed forward line.

Kelly was superb tonight.

We just loved feeding Cal Wilkie the ball. I suspect when we play Poort, we'll give Aliir the game of his life too.

I thought we played well for half of the game but our lack of top end talent and carrying a few plodders made up a lot of the difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back