Preview Essendon vs St Kilda Saints - 7:25pm Saturday, 1st of April 2023 at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Write up from the press conference that I haven't seen yet says:
  • Stringer in, will play a role but not expected to be a hero
  • Weideman in, joined main training
  • Zerk-Thatcher out, didn't train today
  • Heppell is a lock for the 18 in round 3

0eb748d9f9fb574ecc43f7f21cffdb2d1e85d915.jpeg

lol

The continued existence of the St Kilda FC remains the greatest example of the triumph of hope over experience.

No-one should be a lock for the team. No-one.
It's not a lock for the rest of the season, it's a lock for the game two days from now, as a statement made after the completion of main training and with knowledge of existing injuries 😝 If he doesn't already know the team he's picking then we need a new coach

Brad Scott: Says Stringer is in to play a role

Me: puts conspiracy theory hat on

What if Stringer is the sub?
Before you trash it - bear with me.

imagine it - a wet game, there are tired legs everywhere towards the end of the 3rd quarter.
You sub Stringer on for Phillips - Draper only has to survive 1 quarter rocking 85% (Weid chops out the other 15) against Marshall, with Marshall having to have rucked the whole game to that point, while Draper has had the benefit of sharing with Phillips.

Could you imagine a fit, fresh Stringer unleashed against a waterlogged, tiring opposition?
He could legitimately break the game open if it is close.

That way, with St Kilda playing a very short forwardline (196 cm and 85kg Caminiti, 193cm Cordy and 190 Phillipou) and no reserve ruck, you can get by with Laverde, Ridley and Kelly without another KPD.

In: Weideman and Stringer (sub)
Out: Zerk-Thatcher, Guelfi (sub)

How on earth are we fitting Stringer and possibly Weideman in without dropping Heppell? Going to be some head scratching decisions made I feel…

You’d think they’d swing Langford back. It could be

IN - Stringer, Weideman
OUT - BZT (injured), Phillips (managed)

Guelfi stays as the sub
That does make sense. But Langford is not like-for-like with Zerk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No collingwood was our first choice, out of the big 4 melbourne clubs you're the smallest so probably our last choice.

This is rubbish. For many years, especially around the early 2000's there was debate about who was bigger: Essendon or Collingwood. We are miles ahead of Carlton and Richmond in terms of Australia wide supporter base. To put it in perspective the Supercoach club supported rankings (which is a defacto survey of supporter base) are as follows:

Coll 19,921
Ess 19,342

Carl 16,283
Rich 14,223
Haw 12,846
Gee 11,735
St.K 7,670
Kang 7,319
WB 6,645
Melb 6,010

Scott talking about utilising Ryder to get additional intel on Rowan Marshall was interesting. Draper will definitely have a plan set in front of him for the game.

Scott talking about utilising Ryder to get additional intel on Rowan Marshall was interesting. Draper will definitely have a plan set in front of him for the game.
Knee him in the Jatz Crackers?

Hepp assured to play according to Scott - here I was hoping he'd lost his North Melbourne habit of staying loyal to old blokes who are totally past it.

Brad Scott: Says Stringer is in to play a role

Me: puts conspiracy theory hat on

What if Stringer is the sub?
Before you trash it - bear with me.

imagine it - a wet game, there are tired legs everywhere towards the end of the 3rd quarter.
You sub Stringer on for Phillips - Draper only has to survive 1 quarter rocking 85% (Weid chops out the other 15) against Marshall, with Marshall having to have rucked the whole game to that point, while Draper has had the benefit of sharing with Phillips.

Could you imagine a fit, fresh Stringer unleashed against a waterlogged, tiring opposition?
He could legitimately break the game open if it is close.

That way, with St Kilda playing a very short forwardline (196 cm and 85kg Caminiti, 193cm Cordy and 190 Phillipou) and no reserve ruck, you can get by with Laverde, Ridley and Kelly without another KPD.

In: Weideman and Stringer (sub)
Out: Zerk-Thatcher, Guelfi (sub)
Not going to be that wet. 60% chance of any rain & <1mm if there is any. Might be a little slippery at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back