AFL Autopsy RND 6: Beaten by the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to watch the game back but a few observations now I am home. In no particular order.

We really killed ourselves with basic skill errors. Several senior players missing targets going inside 50. Handball missing targets etc.

Can not keep playing Wright as second ruck at the moment as we have no other forwards who can get the job done. I do not mind Baldwin getting some games but he was not effective as the main target while Wright rucked. Despite Bryan not having forward exposure / form we would have been better running the rucks to the bench and leaving Wright forward.

The young blokes have not got the confidence to take the game on so they are playing safe.

Nick Cox out. Jibbed a couple of contests and has no idea what he is doing. He is a CHB. FFS send him back to the VFL and play him at CHB. Unicorns are not real and we are basically destroying him.

Sam Draper . I know what they are trying to do with him as a kick behind the play but he has not the brains or marking power to do it and we get exposed by the other ruck doing his own thing. Just tell him to follow the other ruck. His skills worry me as well. They have not really improved in 3 years. Handballs like an under 12 at some stages.

Have to watch the game back but a few observations now I am home. In no particular order.

We really killed ourselves with basic skill errors. Several senior players missing targets going inside 50. Handball missing targets etc.

Can not keep playing Wright as second ruck at the moment as we have no other forwards who can get the job done. I do not mind Baldwin getting some games but he was not effective as the main target while Wright rucked. Despite Bryan not having forward exposure / form we would have been better running the rucks to the bench and leaving Wright forward.

The young blokes have not got the confidence to take the game on so they are playing safe.

Nick Cox out. Jibbed a couple of contests and has no idea what he is doing. He is a CHB. FFS send him back to the VFL and play him at CHB. Unicorns are not real and we are basically destroying him.

Sam Draper . I know what they are trying to do with him as a kick behind the play but he has not the brains or marking power to do it and we get exposed by the other ruck doing his own thing. Just tell him to follow the other ruck. His skills worry me as well. They have not really improved in 3 years. Handballs like an under 12 at some stages.

Thoughts on Dylan’s game mate? I went today and it was alarming what I saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unpopular opinion but Draper was our best player today.

Not for me. Was much better but his skill level is horrible and he spends more time out of position than anyone.

Thoughts on Dylan’s game mate? I went today and it was alarming what I saw

Missed a few targets by foot going inside 50.
What did you think was alarming ?
I am not sure resting your starting midfielder as a pressure forward is working.

Unfortunately I think 1-5 will quickly become 1-10, the season is done, and as a whole I still think there's more negatives than positives in the way we are playing, but let's keep getting games into the kids and head to the draft next year.

The start of the year has just been a total s**t show. Gotta go back to the drawing board and sort out our defense/defensive running and slow down scoring. Forget about ******* scoring goals for a half a season cause if we don't sort out this piss poor defensive positioning next year will head the exact same way.

Need to look at Cutler on tbe wing and give Cox a run up forward. Baldwin needs to develop in the VFL and we need more leg speed/defensive pressure in the forward line. Go extra blue collar with Hind and Gwelfi as the smalls - both crack in and both better in the forward line than delivering to the forward line.

Hind, 2MP, waterman
Guelfi, Cox, Stringer/Perkins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still feel we are missing that Boak style player. Some better signs though.

Forward line pressure is lacking. We have nothing when the ball hits the ground.

Baldwin & Waterman are slow. Waterman was good but not sure we can have both in the side. Get games into Wanganeen until Tippa back.

Need to look at Cutler on tbe wing and give Cox a run up forward. Baldwin needs to develop in the VFL and we need more leg speed/defensive pressure in the forward line. Go extra blue collar with Hind and Gwelfi as the smalls - both crack in and both better in the forward line than delivering to the forward line.

Hind, 2MP, waterman
Guelfi, Cox, Stringer/Perkins

Yep ..put Hind forward

At least he’ll tackle and put his head over the ball

And he doesn’t have to worry about drilling passes to blokes 40 mtrs away with someone on their hammer

Just keep him close to goal and let him snap away at the goals

I was happy with the effort but wasn't really able to focus on the game today.
Did notice Collingwood go coast to coast too easily again, but I thought mostly that we looked much better.
When Zach dropped his first touch at the first CBA I spewed. Was pleased with Draper taking a few more marks. I thought he contested well.

A lot of people losing their sh** here. We won just about every team stat, including contested ball, disposals, and clearances. We had more scoring shots but again we were inaccurate.

Today's standard of effort or better is the non-negotiable.

Back to the rebuild.

Watched 3 quarters on TV and missed the last.

First start with the good things I spotted: Durham and Martin both displayed great poise under pressure for their age. Hobbs didn't look out of place either.
Effort around the ball was definitely improved on last week. We won contested possessions. That's about all I have in this area.

Why did we lose? To me it looked quite simple. Maybe those at the game have a different perspective. Everything for me stemmed from this: our defensive structure, or lack thereof.

Ball in pies hands at CHB? No worries, just switch it with ease, pump it up the other wing or through the guts.
Ball in contest and pies win it? Absolutely destroyed us a lot of the time. The amount of times I saw a pass through the corridor, or an outlet taken easily, absolutely destroyed us. I'd hate to be in our back six, the ball comes through the middle with such ease. Honestly, I thought the back six did a fair job considering what was coming their way. But if there had been a genuine gun FF for the pies (e.g. McKay) we would have been cooked.

BUT, it's not all doom and gloom for me. We are pumping games into the younger kids. Perkins did some good things. Agree Cox looks lost at sea. No questioning his ability, but the poor kid looks like he is completely over coached or under coached. Agree with Ant, change his position, make it more simple and let him run on instinct. I reckon Cutler would be far better on the wing.

My expectations are not to win finals this year. I don't want us to bomb, I want us to be competitive, and I want us to win games, but I reckon we will finish somewhere around 14-16th position and that's not a bad thing. Get back to the draft and bring in more talent. But whatever we do, don't bring in De Goey at the end of the year.

Oh and let's get Reid and Jones back on the track as fast as possible to get more games into them. Tippa for some forward pressure would also be amazing. What was it, 2 tackles in FWD 50 today? ****house. Snelling would also help here.

Easy to answer when you are at the game on level 3. The other sides are setting up a midfield zone and we are either not working hard enough to find space or the young blokes are not confident to take the game on. The game plan has not really changed. Other sides know we want to play on through the middle so that is where they set their zone. We are being forced to play slow footy down the line and we do not have the players that can keep working to the outside.
One example of this was Durham at around the 5 minute mark so so in the last quarter. Had two players free in the middle but he did not go there he waited and kicked long to a 4 on 2.
The have lost confidence in what they are doing. It does not help that when we do break free there is a dodgy handball or a kick that goes straight to the opposition defenders. We end up out of position and unable to defend.
Also notable that the style changed after half time, first half we did play the fast handball game up the wings almost exclusively. Afterwards we still handballed sometimes but there was a more composed kick-mark style happening as well.

And the spread was a lot better when we had the ball. When the Pies had it, it was better than last week, but still not good. Instead of one bloke defending against three on the wing as last week, we had enough blokes for 1v1 but the defenders were all goal side of their opponents running hard to get there before the Pies forwards did, while our mids were five paces behind their respective men. Result? From left to right: our defenders, their forwards & their mids, then our mids, and the ball-carrier. Too easy to kick over our blokes and no one in a position to tackle either because they're either in front of their men, or too far behind them.

I am not sure if that was directly related to the bench rotations being a bit odd in the third quarter, and in the fourth quarter Parish being off the ground for a fair amount. It seemed like at one point we were short a small defender with both Merrett and McGrath in the midfield.

The Eagles led the AFL average for Goal kick accuracy from 2015-2021 with 52.0% accuracy.

If Collingwood kick that today, they score 9.9 and we win by 20 points.

Straight kicking is a crucially underrated stat in football, just ask the Dogs how much they better they would be going if they kicked even at 45%, they would probably have at least 2 more wins.

Thought cox started the game really well, but you’re correct had no idea how to find the footy after that. Need to give him a position (backline) and let him develop, the wing experiment has to finish before we ruin him.

WTF ru people saying who gives a * if collingwood kicked straight we played like s**t and couldnt even kick more than 2 goals in a row we never controlled the game or had any good mojmentum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back