Preview Rnd 6 - Carlton v Hawthorn Sunday April 28th 3.20PM @ UTAS - Team Post #1331

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d say if CC is coming in for anyone it would be McGovern who hasn’t exactly been amazing

McGovern demands a high end defender at all times

Big picture FB. Players like Ed are playing lesser roles as others develop. Names like SPS Fisher Dow Walsh Gibbons now taking more responsibility. What was great is we won on the weekend without Simpson Thomas Murphy or Ed being in our top couple of players. Can't remember the last time that happened
I'm with ya on that Soap it's what needs to be done and the young fellas where sensational on the weekend just think the three players in Scully Smith and Henderson are going to be a handful with their run and carry so this game in particular I'd like to see Ed locking down on any of them to help out the kids👍

if charlie needs a message sent, can't the coach deliver it? just don't see the point of him kicking 5 in the magoos whilst we lose by 10 points in tassie......

Nobody is doubting that Charlie is a gun, but the inconvenient truth is that he’s been shooting blanks so far this season. I think it’s at least worth considering having him come back through the NBs, both to (hopefully) run him into form, but more so to send both him and his teammates a message. Now that our list depth is getting so much stronger, imo we need to develop a culture to match.

Exactly, the obvious out for him is Casboult who you simply cannot drop if you want performance culture.

I can see the MC going with him as an extra tall and that will be to the teams detriment imo. It won’t please me at all to see 5 forward line talls but it’s a nice problem to have!!

We need to keep Harry forward and out of the ruck, Casboult has an idea of that position and so far hasn’t given away stupid free kicks like he normally does. Kreuzer is not ready to ruck 90% of the game and we need him fresh when he does as he’ll destroy Hawthorn if McEvoy doesn’t get up with Ceglar out injured also

LOB needs to stay to run with Smith, I wouldn’t put him on Henderson as he’s a very good mark for his size and an area that LOB needs some size and a few seasons of work to emulate.

MM needs to start doing more than a quarter here and there, though I think that’s just a fitness thing, otherwise he could be the one on the chopping block.

If VFL was good enough for Judd, it's good enough for anyone.
Juddy tore his hamstring minutes into a game coming on as a sub coming back from a previous injury being 30yrs old and missing 6 weeks it was taken with precaution to bring him back through the Northern Blues...
the two scenarios are completely different AC👍

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGovern demands a high end defender at all times

Agreed.. And as good as Levi was.. he was still no good half the time - he had moments with dropped marks / concentration lapses that would've been costly against a better side and just thankful they didn't cost us more on Sunday. If CC is 100%, he needs to come in for Levi - only worry is the ruck relief; Big H has to stay up front.

It might sound like a good culture to treat all players equally, but all players are not equal. Marchbank came straight back into the seniors and so will Charlie.

Charlie has been making some uncharacteristic errors but he's still been getting the ball and most importantly he's still working extremely hard during games. What sort of a message would it be to relegate a star that's been working his butt off, but has yet to find his touch early in the season.

Every player in the squad should be working their butt off. If someone isn't then something's wrong. So the choice is between picking a big name who's working their butt off but is out of form, or a lesser name who's working their butt off and is in form.

Get a feeling Clarko will send a negating player to Walsh this week, last time a first year player coped that sort of attention was Gaff
jack watts first game saw the pies target him hard....

Not staggering at all when you look at the facts.
  • 4 talls plus JSOS unlikely to be an effective structure
  • Casboult has been playing better than Curnow
  • Casboult in the team allows for Harry to stay inside F50 more where he's in hot form and hitting the scoreboard
  • Curnow has been battling form and knee issues all year
    • JLT games - Absolutely shocking
    • Rd 1 vs Richmond - Another stinker...almost every time we kicked to him it resulted in a turnover
    • Rd 2 vs Port - Injured in 1st quarter with knee issue
    • Rd 4 vs GC - Basically invisible, didn't really contribute anything positive to the team
Casboult staying in and Charlie resting his knee or playing VFL to gain some touch absolutely has merit.

I can't think of any reason to swap Casboult for Curnow other than picking the team based on reputation instead of current output.
Great post FTR. Totally agree. Charlie when in form is a walk up start. But has been out of touch and getting caught, not the same player as last year.
Levi was great support in the ruck and 3 goals was great effort. could have easily finished with 4.
Polson must exit, needs to do more. I like Cunningham, but surely he needs a run in the 2's first. Same with Wilo, let's see how he backs up last week. If he dominates, then bring him in. Just don't want to unsettle a good defensive unit. We are getting more depth, good problem to have. Next week is 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back