Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2003
Reebok Stadium
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bolton,Clippers,Falcons,Mariners
You're coming to a T intersection. There is a pedestrian who is close to crossing the road in front of you but has not yet stopped onto the road.

Are you obliged to give way to the pedestrian?

Yes. I'm pretty sure you always have to give way to pedestrians (even of they are illegally crossing the road)
What if the pedestrian hasn't entered the road as yet and is just standing there talking on their mobile phone?

Understand that once a pedestrian is on the road that you have to give way to them no matter the circumstances - my question is around when they haven't set foot on the road.

What if the pedestrian hasn't entered the road as yet and is just standing there talking on their mobile phone?

Understand that once a pedestrian is on the road that you have to give way to them no matter the circumstances - my question is around when they haven't set foot on the road.
Are they standing or are they moving so its likely they're to be on the road as you cross paths directly?

A pedestrian standing still talking on a mobile.I never knew they existed.I thought they just walk across roads and train lines [often getting splattered] without looking.

Pedestrian has not set foot on the road.
But if he continues at his current pace, would you hit him? or would you of passed without him having to take avoidant action?

But if he's still, he has to give way to you.Its how i see it.

If i am ever in the position, i'll run the guy over and get back to you with what the coroner says.

But if he continues at his current pace, would you hit him? or would you of passed without him having to take avoidant action?

But if he's still, he has to give way to you.Its how i see it.

If i am ever in the position, i'll run the guy over and get back to you with what the coroner says.
My take on it is if a pedestrian has not yet set foot on the road, he/she is obliged to give way to traffic. If pedestrian has set foot on the road then traffic must give way to pedestrian.

That way there is no room for assumption or interpretation. ie if two women are talking on the corner of an intersection (but not yet on the road) is traffic supposed to wait for them just in case they intend to cross the road.

Mount footpath in vehicle.
Run over pedestrian.
Take mobile phone and wallet.
Depart scene before caught.

You're coming to a T intersection. There is a pedestrian who is close to crossing the road in front of you but has not yet stopped onto the road.

Are you obliged to give way to the pedestrian?

I’d say yes. Law is a bit cloudy. You have to always give way at pedestrian crossings. No questions. Even if somebody hasn’t yet entered the road way. “Giving way” means giving way when if you both progressed at normal pace, there would be a collision.

But a pedestrian cannot enter a roadway where that will result in a collision with a car. This is about just randomly walking onto roads not at crossings etc.

Easy answer? Just give way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back