Solved Roger Rogerson * DIED

Remove this Banner Ad

Roger Rogerson is ill and close to dying.

I try really hard not to enjoy others misfortunes, however in this case I'm going to celebrate and have a few beers saying farewell to one of Australia's most notorious serial killers. I hope his end is painful and unpleasant.

The media is reporting him as ‘suffering’ from a brain aneurysm which isn’t absolutely correct. He has had a possible rupture of an existing untreated aneurysm , which causes a severe, debilitating headache and a haemorrhagic stroke. He would have had quite an unpleasant end had he not been hospitalised after the rupture.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Alan Jones helped him launch his book, and people paid to see him on stage with Jacko, Capper , and Chopper.
I've never been able to understand this. How a convicted criminal, betraying the trust of the public in the worst way possible, was able to be glorified, part of a "speaking tour" and a nudge, wink atmosphere like that crew.

As well as Amazon Prime and Netflix having the original 2 parter Blue Murder dramatisations, 7plus (free) has both these original 1995 ones and the 2016/17 sequel, with the same actor Richard Roxburgh playing Rogerson in both (21 years apart)

Playing Roger Rogerson on screen, Richard Roxburgh found a way to master his steely gaze

Roxburgh won enormous praise for his portrayal of the corrupt policeman in the 1995 miniseries Blue Murder and its 2017 sequel. He spoke to us in 2017 about taking on Rogerson as a character.

By Karl Quinn

Updated January 22, 2024 — 1.55pm, first published July 31, 2017 — 12.15am

I've never been able to understand this. How a convicted criminal, betraying the trust of the public in the worst way possible, was able to be glorified, part of a "speaking tour" and a nudge, wink atmosphere like that crew.

The whole Underbelly saga is nothing more than glorifying crooks and the general public lap it up. My wife and eldest daughter are addicted to this rubbish.

I remember watching the first series, only because it was topical, I was working at Barwon and Williams was locked up there, once I'd been there long enough and saw the affect it had on the young crooks who all thought they were gangsters, I've never watched another one.

Today's SMH Editorial unfortunately contains a very weedy reference, that one could cause some concern, for if the weeds grow back again.

Can anyone pinpoint when the last of the weeds was pulled up in NSW?

'EDITORIAL

Corrupt policeman Roger Rogerson a relic of a tainted time

The Herald's View

January 22, 2024 — 4.36pm

'No more. The people of this state can be thankful and assured that, after years of reforms to break the culture, his ilk has been weeded out of the NSW Police.'

It was pretty disgraceful they didn't convict the murderer of Sallie-Anne Huckstepp.

Sallie-Anne had her problems but I like her, she was the first one to point a finger at Rogerson and she made it easier to break through to consider him as not the hero he was cracked up to be.

Sallie-Anne had her problems but I like her, she was the first one to point a finger at Rogerson and she made it easier to break through to consider him as not the hero he was cracked up to be.
She was a whistle blower that was ignored and then she was murdered and nothing was done about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 1981 60 Minutes interview with Sallie-Anne Huckstepp by Ray Martin is still compelling viewing.
She was terrified, but oh so brave.
And her courage should never be forgotten.

For those interested this is a good listen to Sally-Anne's younger sister...

Was very brave & predicted it would cost her life.

On another forum, talk of ancient rumors that Roger Rogerson and Neddy Smith were assassinating Russian dissidents in Australia for the KGB.

If true, they both might have been useful bait to try and trace back where in Russia their instructions were coming from.

Anyway, any claimed rumour like that, might have just been complete BS and originated with the Russians, or one of Rogerson and Smith's many enemies or frenemies.

As well as Amazon Prime and Netflix having the original 2 parter Blue Murder dramatisations, 7plus (free) has both these original 1995 ones and the 2016/17 sequel, with the same actor Richard Roxburgh playing Rogerson in both (21 years apart)

Playing Roger Rogerson on screen, Richard Roxburgh found a way to master his steely gaze

Roxburgh won enormous praise for his portrayal of the corrupt policeman in the 1995 miniseries Blue Murder and its 2017 sequel. He spoke to us in 2017 about taking on Rogerson as a character.

By Karl Quinn

Updated January 22, 2024 — 1.55pm, first published July 31, 2017 — 12.15am

Roxburgh is a brilliant and underrated actor

Anybody esle feel dumber after trying to listen to that?
Helps if you’ve recently watched the Blue Murders dramatisations.

Fiction and fact being blurred is a big part of this historic dark blue time in the history of Justice and Policing in NSW.

A veery entertaining interview aired today on ABC Conversations with Peter Hoysted, aka Jack the Insider. Hoysted is a true crime writer and TV producer who met with Rogerson on several occasions, gaining unique insight into the mind of this notorious corrupt cop and has been on Fiedler's Conversations program many times. This time he recounts some of the lowlights of Rogerson's career on the occasion of his death.

A reminder that shamed radio broadcaster Alan Jones praised the policing of Rogerson, claiming that Rogerson's “old-style” policing made the streets of Sydney safer in the 60s,70s and 80s, than they were in later years. Utter BS of course and Hoysted makes it clear that corrupt cops and police forces as operated in NSW and Queensland formed close alliances with politicians and celebrities of the times so no wonder they pedalled the myth that 'things were better'. Truth is that for honest cops and lawmakers it was a horrible time.

The Conversations podcast I mentioned above got me re-interested in Rogerson , the heinous crimes he was found guilty of and the allegations of murder, drag trafficking and corruption that went untested or unproven in court but are now generally accepted to be based in truth.

So I rewatched the 1995 Blue Murder TV series that is still available for streaming on 7plus and the name of one of Rogerson's former NSW Police 'friends' loomed large -the acting head of NSW CIB at the time, Detective Superintendent "Black" Angus Macdonald.

MacDonald appointed himself to look into the shooting of Michael Drury, an undercover officer in the NSW police, who was warned off investigating a drug dealing king pin associate of Rogerson and subsequently offered a bribe by Rogerson to not give evidence against him in court. Drury was shot at home while feeding his young child.

Angus McDonald did all he could to discredit the evidence of Michael Drury and no charges were ever laid against Rogerson for involvement in his shooting.

But searching the web for information on what came of MacDonald it seems the events in NSW and his association with Rogerson did not harm his future prospects in life. His wife, Mary Marguerite Leneen Forde AC, became Governor of Queensland from 29 July 1992 to 29 July 1997 and Angus McDonald, became the first man to serve Queensland as vice-regal spouse.

Makes you wonder just how far the tentacles of Rogerson and his corrupt colleagues spread across the upper echelons of police and government across Australia and how many went untouched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back