Unsolved 'Someone wants to kill me!' Man dies after bursting into busy Gold Coast restaurant

Remove this Banner Ad

After rushing in to the restaurant the man ran to the kitchen yelling 'Someone wants to kill me!' and refused to leave, anchoring himself to the fixtures. Then he died. Police have launched an investigation in to his death.

Ms Leighton said the man repeated "someone wants to kill me" as staff tried to push him out the back door.

A handful of diners stepped in to help restrain the man inside the restaurant, she said.

Ms Leighton said police arrived within minutes as the man had reportedly caused disturbances at other establishments.

She said the man appeared to lose consciousness and officers began CPR.

Paramedics arrived a short time later but the man died inside the restaurant.

Police said his death is being investigated by Queensland Police Ethical Standards Command overviewed by the Crime and Corruption Commission.

They are appealing to witnesses for information.

'Someone wants to kill me': Man dies after bursting into busy Gold Coast restaurant

Last edited:

Okay, we'll have to wait see what he died from. He was only 45 years old, his family is understandably distraught.

South eastern regional crime coordinator Detective Superintendent Brendan Smith said the man had been "affected by mental health issues or was in some kind of psychotic state", and police had no ongoing concerns for wider public safety.

"There was no person chasing this man. There was no person involved in threatening him," Superintendent Smith said.

"He was involved in two instances prior to his death where he interacted with some community members and took some property, and some of those persons were attempting to recover their stolen property. There were no threats."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back