Delisted Rohan Bewick (2010-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

gee his goal kicking is absolutely inspid sometimes

Year Team GamesKicksHandballsDisposalsMarksGoalsBehindsTacklesHitoutsFrees ForFrees Ag.Brownlow
2013 Brisbane 18 144 98 242 77 14 21 46 3 18 10
2012 Brisbane 16 124 75 199 58 18 12 27 1 13 9

He's had a similar year to last in most stats when you consider the 2 extra games - his goal kicking has slipped a little.

On a positive note, his tackling and free kick ratio stats are up which I read as him working harder.

Year Team GamesKicksHandballsDisposalsMarksGoalsBehindsTacklesHitoutsFrees ForFrees Ag.Brownlow
2013 Brisbane 18 144 98 242 77 14 21 46 3 18 10
2012 Brisbane 16 124 75 199 58 18 12 27 1 13 9

He's had a similar year to last in most stats when you consider the 2 extra games - his goal kicking has slipped a little.

On a positive note, his tackling and free kick ratio stats are up which I read as him working harder.
Wow his accuracy has dropped a lot - from 60% last year to 40% this. And this year he has played much more in the FF slot instead on the wing / in the pocket.

Fletcher said they are excited about him as he is still learning the position.For mine his core could do with a little strengthening- still susceptible to getting pushed off the ball and being rag-dolled.

Fletcher said they are excited about him as he is still learning the position.For mine his core could do with a little strengthening- still susceptible to getting pushed off the ball and being rag-dolled.

Probably. The team is fairly limited in terms of midfield rotations if they play all of McGrath, Green and Bewick as forwards. They could possible try and develop Bewick as that link-up player like Kade Simpson before MM came along.

In the end I don't think Bewick has progressed from this time last year (wouldn't say he regressed either). I think there is little chance of him being delisted, but I see him more of a place holder until a more talented player takes his spot. There are too many areas of his game that I think he will always be fairly weak in.

In the end I don't think Bewick has progressed from this time last year (wouldn't say he regressed either). I think there is little chance of him being delisted, but I see him more of a place holder until a more talented player takes his spot. There are too many areas of his game that I think he will always be fairly weak in.

Agree, one would think that if Polec can get himself right, then he make take his spot, or rotate with Mayes up and down the ground and into forward 50. You could even say that possibly Paparone after another pre-season will be looking to put the pressure on him for that long running forward/winger spot. Just have a feeling that he may be another Polkinghorne, shows the reason they have him in the team, however just doesn't do it consistently enough.

he is still contracted for next year one of the reasons he holds his spot but yeah he his performances were i reckon a bit worse this year, his goalkicking was alot better in the past, this year its been relatively poor

I'm still sitting in the Bewick Bandwagon. I'm going to turn the engine over every now and again during the off season and let it idle for a bit. Just need to keep it tuned up because in season 2014 LOOK OUT FOR A BEWICK BREAKOUT!

I'm still sitting in the Bewick Bandwagon. I'm going to turn the engine over every now and again during the off season and let it idle for a bit. Just need to keep it tuned up because in season 2014 LOOK OUT FOR A BEWICK BREAKOUT!
I'm not completely off Bewick (or his wagon) but he really should have had his breakout by now. He had played plenty in the WAFL when we picked him up and was 'mature' already. Its not like we got him in the draft at 18.

He had played plenty in the WAFL when we picked him up

I could be wrong but I didn't think Bewick had played a lot of senior footy at WAFL level?

Edit - 16 games for West Perth, according to an earlier post in this thread.

Still, I think he stagnated somewhat this year. I had very high hopes for him but he's not really progressed as I thought he might.

I could be wrong but I didn't think Bewick had played a lot of senior footy at WAFL level?

Edit - 16 games for West Perth, according to an earlier post in this thread.

Still, I think he stagnated somewhat this year. I had very high hopes for him but he's not really progressed as I thought he might.
He had a slightly down year which coincided with a move further up the ground. Would be good if he coould become a real linkman as well as a threat around goals but still some way to go before that happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a big fan of what Bewick has to offer, he just needs to be more consistent with his kicking... there is too much of a gap between his best and worst and it is often on show in the same game.

Bewick had a better year than he did in 2012. The only thing that really let him down was his goal kicking.

Honestly can't see how you could draw this conclusion. It seems like it was something of a transitional year for him in adapting to his new role, but I don't think that means he had a 'better' year, subjective as that term might be.

I thought that even though he played a slightly different role, he was impressive and did his job structural wise. His kicking on goal was what let him down. When he came to the club everyone expected him ti have a big impact like Barlow did before him. However, saying his year was better than last years might have been a bit over the top.

Goal kicking aside, he's had a steady consolidation year. I think it was a better year, despite his goal kicking woes (at times). Still had 37 scoring shots in 2013.

Although, yes, he played 3 more games (16 > 19), several team based stats were well up:

• Tackles nearly doubled from 2012
  • Contested possessions well up from 2012
  • 1%ers nearly doubled from 2012
  • Goal assisits nearly tripled from 2012
  • Clangers down to less than 1 per game
  • Free kicks ratio 2:1 in the positive
All in all, a great platform for 2014.

2013 Review - by PattyKisagun

After promising a lot in the latter part of the 2012 season, Rohan Bewick entered 2013 with high hopes from supporters about his ability to become a genuine goal scoring threat who can play as both a lead up and a crumbing forward. Unfortunately, Bewick's season was inconsistent and arguably regressed a little from his 2012 form.

Despite playing three more matches than the previous year, Bewick kicked three less goals. With nine more behinds than 2012, though, it wasn't for a lack of trying.

For me, personally, that was the most disappointing aspect of Bewick's year. After seeming a very reliable shot at goal in 2012, he started becoming worse than a 50/50 prospect in front of the sticks, and rarely instilled you with confidence when lining up.

I still believe that Bewick could be a very important player for us going forward, but he needs to firstly recapture the accuracy he showed in 2012, and then also build on that form rather than stalling as he did in the 2013 year. With a few players nipping at his heels for a high forward/wing spot - most likely Lewis Taylor, Jack Crisp, and Claye Beams - Bewick will have his work cut out for him.

I am still a firm fan of Bewick and think that he can add a lot to the team, his running ability will be even more useful with the interchange caps. RoBo's issue that he hasn’t been able to capitalise on all his good work in front of goals...in saying that a lot of his shots on goal did seem to be around the 50m arc near the boundary....or at least that is my recollection of events.

I would like to see Leppa trial Bewick as a HBF in the offseason. We have a hole in our list development in the area and the spot would let Rohan use some of his weapons aerobic capacity, speed and jump and also mask his goal kicking (I actually think his general field kicking is above average).

I do think with the structures we used, our half forwards were usually overlooked. Not just Bewick, but Polka, Ash even Green and Zorko go missing for large periods in matches. They pop up now and then but arent really able to work themselves into the game, or get too involved in getting a lot of ball. Too often the HF line is ignored or caught out of position, and then required to do too much defensive work.

Ill be very interested to see how someone like Bewick goes with a new coach and gameplan.

I do think with the structures we used, our half forwards were usually overlooked. Not just Bewick, but Polka, Ash even Green and Zorko go missing for large periods in matches. They pop up now and then but arent really able to work themselves into the game, or get too involved in getting a lot of ball. Too often the HF line is ignored or caught out of position, and then required to do too much defensive work.

Ill be very interested to see how someone like Bewick goes with a new coach and gameplan.

I remember Bewick had one game against Port Adelaide that stood out because he was getting a lot of touches in the back half of the ground. We played very defensively in general that game so perhaps there was something of a different strategy. So as you say he might be capable of getting himself a lot more involved under a different style.

It's a good point about our forward flankers struggling to make themselves involved. Zorko's probably the best of them but you'd want him to get three or four more touches a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back