Rookie Draft Pick 61: Jordan King

Remove this Banner Ad

Jordan King-Wilson was one of my favourite players coming out of SA/NT this year. I said it before the National Draft about a month ago, but he is the perfect Roger Hayden replacement.

Also, if you search 'jordan wilson afl' on YouTube there are about 8 or so videos of him playing in the U18 Championships and SANFL. Here is one that I posted earlier, Jordan is #2.

[YOUTUBE]NaEke00iGaE[/YOUTUBE]

wow i like the look of this guy. its like watching a mixture of roger hayden and troy cook.... man can he tackle :thumbsu: good pickup... hopefully roger can take him under his wing and show him how to weave the magic :thumbsu:

If that highlight reel is anything to go by, I'm happy we got him.

Our lack of close checking agile defenders costs us games, hope he does well.

Jeez you weren't wrong with your Roger Hayden clone reference. He's got it. Not a huge amount of speed but a cool head under pressure in the backline. I like it.

I dunno... certainly didn't look slow in the video. Comfortably quicker than Rog I reckon. Agree with you about the cool head.

Cut and Pasted from facebook

Jordan’s played a stack of footy over the last 12 months. He has had to split his footy commitments with the Darwin Buffalows, NT U18s, NT Thunder, Rostrevor College and North Adelaide Reserves/U18. Jordan has played both through the midfield and as a small rebounding defender and has played well in both roles. Jordan plays the game with great intensity and really high energy. His 2nd/3rd/4th efforts around the ball in particular are a real highlight. Jordan is a real competitor and has great intent at the contest. He averaged 19 possessions a game at the national carnival and averages over 20 at SANFL U18 level. He also tested very well at the National Combine; 2.98 20m, 8.52 agility, 24.89 repeat speed and a 10.45 3km.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks creative, confident, and deceptively quick.
His disposal didn't look too crash hot though. I few kicks over teammates heads and handballs to teammates feet...

I don't see the Roger Hayden comparison. But a good highlights video and he seems very committed to the contest. Gibson Turner was taked just before us so would of been keen to see who we favoured if both were available.

I'm just glad we have someone in the team that is prepared to bust out the long sleeve jumper.
Who was the last, Shortmuir?

I reckon Walters might have pulled it out once or twice?

I liked the last play in the video when he was running back with the flight, had a cheeky look, but still went back hard and took the mark in front of two bigger blokes who were bearing down on him. :thumbsu:

He looks creative, confident, and deceptively quick.
His disposal didn't look too crash hot though. I few kicks over teammates heads and handballs to teammates feet...

That's what worries me.

It's been hard watching Buffs as they are about the standard of a G Grade Ammo side, but he hasn't stood out to me.

Hoping for the best, but not convinced.

I never had any issues with his disposal while watching him at North Adelaide. Tries to do a little too much at times, but that's not a bad thing. Generally a good kick, and he's always looking to set up the run.

You reckon we would have taken Gibson Turner over King had he been available at that pick?

I never had any issues with his disposal while watching him at North Adelaide. Tries to do a little too much at times, but that's not a bad thing. Generally a good kick, and he's always looking to set up the run.

It's the time from hand to foot that's the concern, much like Clancee.

Did you see how much footy he's played this year? I'm surprised he can get boot to ball at all!

He'll be just fine.

Kicking technique is technique and it's very hard to eradicate bad habits this far into a players development.

Wasn't his kicking that sold him, defensive workrate and tackling technique is almost flawless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back