Roos bottom of ladder after this round?

Remove this Banner Ad

My thoughts are we were always going to be 0-4. We're playing 4 of the top 5-6 teams in the comp in the first 4 rounds. Everyone saw this coming, and all it means is that these sides are currently better than us. Which we all knew already. Don't get why it seems to be the same people who were so sure we'd barely win a game before the season started who are now feigning shock when we lose to the flag favourites by 40-odd points. This seasons value isn't going to be measured in wins and losses, its about finding players and positives which will take us forward, and I would argue the first 3 weeks have been a massive success on this front. Preuss, Williams, Simpkin have come in and shown they have genuine talent. Mullett, Daw, McDonald, Dumont, Turner and (to a lesser extent) Atley have shown they are capable of improving their games and are still young enough to be part of our next premiership side. Ziebell, Higgins and Cunnington are playing as well as (or better than) they ever have. Lachie Hansen looks to finally be back to the player we know he can be. Taylor Garner is back on the park. While they didn't star; Durdin, Mountford and Hibberd have shown signs of what they could bring to our side with further development.

I could go on, but for me the biggest positive is that the side is not being let down by our younger players. Its the likes of Swallow, Goldstein and Thompson who are operating well below their best, and this can only be a good thing for the side going forwards. The first 3 quarters against Geelong show what this team can and will become. And yes, as all the pessimistic, boring, Scott-hating, whipping-boy-obsessed members of bigfooty might point out, we lost that game. But if you can't see how massively impressive the first 3 quarters of that match were for such a young side, you're completely missing the point of this season.

So yeah, while the ladder might say we're 0-3, I'm completely comfortable declaring the season so far a definite success.
What young side are you talking about, we went in with the 7th oldest side for that round

Last edited:
There's a lot of negativity and despondence around here at the moment, which is certainly understandable. However I suspect that much of this is due to too high expectations going into the season.

We need some elite youth, something we have never really had under the current draft system. Though I genuinely beleive we are well placed to ensure that our stay at the bottom won't be too long. Look how quickly it can be turned around like at the Bulldogs or st kilda (though they aren't shooting the lights out this year).

The massive thing in our favour is that we do not have any integral players outside of tazz that are near 30. The team we have put out so far is carrying some older players that are not doing enough and will be gone by years end. In the meantime our younger players will get games pumped into them. The key is to remain competitive so we don't lose heart in this rebuild.

If we can get a young gun via trade, nail our first 2 picks and trade our one valuable superfluous commodity in Goldy we will be ensuring our stay near the bottom won't be long.

Fans need to accept that this year won't be about finals. It's about the years to follow

Rolls over to the next year Hawks finish out of the bottom 5, like the NBA.
Surely not. First I've heard of this. What if they are down the bottom of the ladder for 3 years? We have to wait 3 years to get to use our pick, which is 4 years after we gave them something worth a first rounder? I doubt this immensely.

I think after reading the comments particularly on this thread it's clear that most of our supporters/members know where we stand.

This won't be a "quick fix" but the season can be turned around quickly providing changes are made and Scott doesn't stick to his usual suspects, and gift them games.

Regardless, this will be a bumpy ride north fans. Buckle up!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is that right? I thought there was a lot of talk about it but it was never introduced.

Yeah I didn't think the afl adopted the "protected top 5" method, which is used in NBA trades.

Surely not. First I've heard of this. What if they are down the bottom of the ladder for 3 years? We have to wait 3 years to get to use our pick, which is 4 years after we gave them something worth a first rounder? I doubt this immensely.

Was about to post the same thing. Will wait for GR to hear back from his enquiries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is that a good thing?

**** St.Kilda.

Nah * Hawthorn. They've been twisting the shiv on deals for years, and now they've mortgaged their future on a bloke who only picks up handballs because it's hard to kick while driving a mobility scooter.

My thoughts are we were always going to be 0-4. We're playing 4 of the top 5-6 teams in the comp in the first 4 rounds. Everyone saw this coming, and all it means is that these sides are currently better than us. Which we all knew already. Don't get why it seems to be the same people who were so sure we'd barely win a game before the season started who are now feigning shock when we lose to the flag favourites by 40-odd points. This seasons value isn't going to be measured in wins and losses, its about finding players and positives which will take us forward, and I would argue the first 3 weeks have been a massive success on this front. Preuss, Williams, Simpkin have come in and shown they have genuine talent. Mullett, Daw, McDonald, Dumont, Turner and (to a lesser extent) Atley have shown they are capable of improving their games and are still young enough to be part of our next premiership side. Ziebell, Higgins and Cunnington are playing as well as (or better than) they ever have. Lachie Hansen looks to finally be back to the player we know he can be. Taylor Garner is back on the park. While they didn't star; Durdin, Mountford and Hibberd have shown signs of what they could bring to our side with further development.

I could go on, but for me the biggest positive is that the side is not being let down by our younger players. Its the likes of Swallow, Goldstein and Thompson who are operating well below their best, and this can only be a good thing for the side going forwards. The first 3 quarters against Geelong show what this team can and will become. And yes, as all the pessimistic, boring, Scott-hating, whipping-boy-obsessed members of bigfooty might point out, we lost that game. But if you can't see how massively impressive the first 3 quarters of that match were for such a young side, you're completely missing the point of this season.

So yeah, while the ladder might say we're 0-3, I'm completely comfortable declaring the season so far a definite success.

Decent 'in perspective' post. Considering that we're missing TWO of our major key fwd targets …the marks inside 50 stats are telling!! Aside Waite's first round spluttering kicking.. we need to get some better output with capitalising inside the fwd 50. Round the ground play has been very solid. Will WIN 10-12 games this season but it would be something to open our account this Friday night with a juicy scalp.

Hawks will be after playing two bottom four sides from last year.

Hawks won't finish above North this season.. we're not premiership contenders either.. to re-load is what it's about for the second tier teams. Pinching some wins along the way and swooping on the 'winnable games' to break double digit victories. The ladder isn't indicative to where we're at atm. To get back to .500 by mid season is a real possibility still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back