Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

On the positive front we look to have struck gold with Ginni, Massimo and Chol.

I'm actually very impressed with Chols ruckwork, he looks good in the ruck.

Massimo I have to admit is a much better player than I gave him credit for.
I didn't think it was a disaster. It was 6 goals better than last year at least, and we were in the game a long period. We somehow created plenty of scoring opportunities despite our poor centre clearance work, and without Lewis doing much. Most of the new boys showed a bit and Weddell continues to impress. It was our middle-aged players who disappointed today but they have the experience now to bounce back next week if they are good enough. If they can't bounce back then I'll start to worry.

I think people have forgotten last year's game. We were blown out the park and never had a chance of winning that.

This game, we were beaten by ourselves. Nevermind how ordinary our midfield was in the second half, we lost it by kicking 17 behinds. Kick just 4 of those and we win. Even just 3 early on and put some scoreboard pressure and it changes things.

I doubt we've had more shots on goal than that in many games in the last 5 years unless it was against the Eagles last year.
28 shots on goal is excellent going when we're so soundly beaten in the centre clearances. Scoring goals matters though.

Other parts of our game held up quite well, Contested possessions, inside 50's, marks inside 50, intercepts, contested marks.

Frustrating to lose when we could've easily applied much more scoreboard pressure early, but at least it's something to build on.
Agreed. And they weren’t multiple behinds to pad the stat. Legit shots on goal that missed

Why are some people against making a big offer for Tim English? He's clearly a far better player than Reeves and would improve us a lot.
It's a big year for Reeves IMHO.

If he keeps his output at this kind of level (sub ten disposals / one mark) then we'd be crazy not to have a crack at English.

But if he can start to turn those 8 disposal / 1 mark games into say 13 disposals / 3 mark games he will be safe.

Big test against Gawn next week that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frustrating game.

Thought our ball movement and ability to create run from turnovers was good and created a lot of opportunities, however our ability to capitalise was poor.

Also our defensive pressure across every line was woeful, Essendon ability to move the ball and score was just too easy. Low tackle count indicative of this. Weren’t able to lock it in our forward line at any point, and our chase through the middle of the ground was really lacking.

Defence a real worry. No intercept, and Sicily having to play more one on one really hurt us. It’s like playing with one hand behind our back. We’ve got our work cut out here.

Memo to Ginnivan:

You’re a small forward, so your job is in this order
1. Chase, harass, tackle and annoy the opposition to try to cause turnovers
2. Link up with other Hawks, giving the ball to a teammate in a better position than you
3. Kick the odd goal

Try to wash the Collingwood stink out - it may take some time …

Another 1 mark Reeves game. It's not his fault, but I hope we have a proper plan to replace him

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Mids disappointed today. Felt that that's where we lost it. Chol's 2nd quarter screamer was a big improvement on Kossie. Ginnivan a big upgrade on Brockman. Watson will get better. Chad Wingard will help as will Ethan Phiilips. D'Ambrosio an upgrade on Bramble.

Memo to Ginnivan:

You’re a small forward, so your job is in this order
1. Chase, harass, tackle and annoy the opposition to try to cause turnovers
2. Link up with other Hawks, giving the ball to a teammate in a better position than you
3. Kick the odd goal

Try to wash the Collingwood stink out - it may take some time …

He did all that, what the * were you watching?

Feel like Mackenzie drifts through games. Not much intensity in anything he does

I reckon this is a bigger problem with the team which is why we could not get any momentum going and Essendon found it easy to quickly respond most times we kicked a goal. Mainly from centre clearances after a Hawthorn goal. Our biggest problem today.

It's a big year for Reeves IMHO.

If he keeps his output at this kind of level (sub ten disposals / one mark) then we'd be crazy not to have a crack at English.

But if he can start to turn those 8 disposal / 1 mark games into say 13 disposals / 3 mark games he will be safe.

Big test against Gawn next week that's for sure.

We are not going to be wasting our effort on trying to land a million dollar ruck, let alone deciding to 12 months after everyone else has already started to.

The club has a clear strategy to improve the KPD and KPF spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back