Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of s**t went wrong today, but here's another angle...

Essendon spent the last 6 months telling people that they were working on being harder to score against.

We had 28 shots on goal and despite getting pantsed in the middle were +7 inside 50's by the end of the game.

Wasted opportunity for us, but Essendon don't seem to have tightened up their defensive issues much at all.
I don’t think defensively they were that bad. They took a lot of intercept marks and were able to force the turnovers at ground level pretty easily in our f50. I think our ball movement and dominance elsewhere on the ground is what led to us getting more shots on goal.

I'm amazed he still has his smarts after all the times Lewis absolutely poleaxed poor Goldy.

I never knew quite what it was about Todd that so enraged Jordan, he seems like a pretty nice fella to me 😂

Jordy Lewis is clearly an anti-semite.

In fact I haven't seen him and that Austrian fella in the same room before. :think::think::think:

My main takeaways:
  • Bad kicking is bad football
  • Midfield didn't take enough advantage of Reeves great first half work
  • Reeves petered out too much in the second half and needs to be part of a 2 ruck rotation
  • Finn can't continue in the side if he doesn't have a second string to his bow, that missed kick to Gunners in the goal square almost made me throw the remote
Clear we're missing a lot of run at the moment, and missed the attack of Day in the midfield. Maginness' position will be very vulnerable with the return of some wing/half back options.

It's also clear that we had our chances to win it and just didn't take em. Was really great to see Ginnivan and D'Ambrosio play such good footy first up, Chol serviceable too. Moore could be looking at his debut AA if he continues with this form.

Not all bad, but still sucks to lose first up - especially a winnable game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of positives today:
-Worps setting the standard on a hot day. Really mature performance from the PCM champ and what every finals bound team needs.
-Ginni and The Wiz providing spark in F50.
-Croc developing nicely. Probably faded a bit but was instrumental when we dominated sections of the game.
-Weddle great athletic ability and can play. So excited by his potential.
-Chol providing a dangerous option.
-Welcome to the club Mass!!!! Epic first game.
-After a shakey first 7-8 minutes we regained composure and were very competitive for the rest of the half and should have been up by a few at least. Thought our pressure was spot on.
-Our entry into F50 in the first half was more precise and quicker than I can remember for a long time. Very exciting to see that after years of faffing about getting it in there.
-Did not get blown away in the final qrt when we initially went 4 goals down. Pegged 2 back which gave us hope. Not to be but did not give up the fight.

Looking forward, no injuries to worry about and some decent selection pressure below: Smitch, Morrison, HH and Meek.

Proud of the HFC today. The signs are there.

Our midfield group isnt good enough to go head to head with many teams. We happen to have the best tagger in the comp and it staggers me that he isnt valued as much as he should be

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Surely he goes straight to Oliver next week after the job he did last year

On another topic, dear kicked 4 in the VFL praccy…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rate he developed in the back end of last year has me really excited for how he can develop this year.

Maginness as sub, I don't even know what to say. Derp.
He needs to start as a tagger, or he shouldn't be in the side. You want a sub to provide spark and he just cannot do anything but tag. Weird choice.

10 clearances for Worpel.
7 inside 50's
19 contested possessions.
9 score involvements.
A cracking don't argue and goal.

10 clearances for Worpel.
7 inside 50's
19 contested possessions.
9 score involvements.
A cracking don't argue and goal.
Was great, can imagine he'll get a free pass out of the absolute rocket the rest of the midfield unit will be getting

Sorry if I’m late to the funeral, had to watch on delay.

Why, when Essendon have a number of skilled, half a kick behind the play ‘distributor-type’ players, does Finn not start?
McGrath and Merrett are Naicos-lite, and Naicos is Finn’s play-thing.

Why did Chol get subbed, when Lewis had provided little offensively, and nothing defensively?

Why can worps and duke get tripped with impunity, to the sound of silence (umpires and commentators).?

Why aren’t my kids in bed yet?

Why is my drink empty?

Why. Why. Why.

On today’s performance we’ve had no improvement or gone backwards from last year just a few names have changed. Nothing really to get excited about again this year .
It was better than round 1 last year.

Actually thought Frost was really good. Conceded 10cm to 2MP, and held his own.
Overall I thought our effort was good. Mental lapses cooked us. But Frost gave 100% all game and was rarely beaten. He gives us that every week and we will be in a good place.

Our two best players got cooked. Newk I can understand he probably hasn't been tagged so much. But sic has to be better. I love him and think he's a top defender. But he gotta be better.

Nash and worps tried hard but just lacked dynamic without Day and Newk.

Anyways it wasn't really that bad. It's just frustrating to lose when we probably should win. There was enough there. But * me the dons look average and we have to be winning these games if we want to be taken seriously. But better than a 70 point loss lol

Very impressed with Ginni btw. Awesome pick up

Just got back from the game and am looking forward to reading what I'm sure is a completely level headed autopsy thread haha.

Got smashed in the middle, didn't gel up forward, kicked for s**t, never got any real momentum and the dirty drug cheats just couldn't ******* miss.

In saying all that, I'm optimistic. The blue print is there, and if we convert even 5 of those 17 points we win.

We ran rings around them in general play in the first three quarters, but it was noticeable how gassed we were in the last. The damage SHOULD have been done by that stage.

D'Ambrosio was incredibly impressive. He is tough, super composed and a brilliant kick. Reminded me a lot of Guerra.
I thought Weddle grew into the game. Amon was also fantastic.

Our young mids in Newcombe, Mackenzie & Ward were all disappointing today. Not concerned as I think they're all very good, it's just a shame all three had down days.

It's interesting, our gamestyle almost bypasses our midfielders on transition. We have such strong running power from defence that players like Ward/Mackenzie do all these kms and the ball never gets near them unless it's super congested.

Is Chol injured? Couldn't work out at the ground why he was subbed.

He was part of a defence that conceded 28 shots on goal
emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
How many of those were from his direct opponent?
We got smashed in centre clearances, doesn’t mean Worpel had a bad game.
Bizarre take on it.
Lewis is our biggest great white hope since Rough retired, and you’re kidding yourself if you think he didn’t get a spanking from McKay today.
Get your head out of the sand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back