Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to delete this one from the memory bank. Very frustrating loss to a team that looks like bottom 4-6.

Yep, that's how I see it as well. Optimism is all very well, but we also need to be realistic. After showing some positive signs in 2023, I was hoping we would hit the ground running in round 1. It didn't happen. It felt as though this was our first trial game where we were still trying to work out which style of game we would adopt. First game for the season, players should be jumping out of their skins, but so many were way down on form. Unfortunately, after round 1, I'm afraid bottom 4-6 is the very best we can hope to attain. I fear what the really good sides will do to us.

Yep, that's how I see it as well. Optimism is all very well, but we also need to be realistic. After showing some positive signs in 2023, I was hoping we would hit the ground running in round 1. It didn't happen. It felt as though this was our first trial game where we were still trying to work out which style of game we would adopt. First game for the season, players should be jumping out of their skins, but so many were way down on form. Unfortunately, after round 1, I'm afraid bottom 4-6 is the very best we can hope to attain. I fear what the really good sides will do to us.
But we weren't outplayed...we absolutely should have won yesterday!

6 more shots and 6 more inside 50s.

We were pansted in one area only...centre clearances...leading to goals for them too often. Between the 50s, we were the better side, at times way better...and then demoralised after repeated misses in front of goal.

There may come a game when the signs say we are bottom 6 side. This game wasn't it.

Lots of pessimism in this thread.
Chol was definitely struggling out there but he wasn't alone. It's not uncommon in round one for players to blow up early. Takes a few rounds to really strike the balance and get match fitness right.

Chol was our most dangerous forward at times, looked a serious aerial threat in moments. His ruck work was at times a bit disappointing.

I think our forward line will need a few weeks together to gel and synchronise. Was a lot of leading patterns that got in each other's way and made for easy exits from defence.

Midfield was very fumbly yesterday, Frenchie seemed to struggle at time to control the ball cleanly but he wasn't alone. I would like to see Huss in there, he's clean with his hands and could help us improve that first touch we are getting.

Some senior players were poor but I think overall there's plenty to like from what we saw and we will only improve.

Going to delete this one from the memory bank. Very frustrating loss to a team that looks like bottom 4-6.
That’s my overriding concern out of it. I thought Essendon were very unimpressive. Don’t expect we will play a lot of opponents who perform worse so it was a wasted opportunity for a win.

How on earth can a bunch of idiots* on BF see this yet our coaches thought it was a good idea has me baffled.

* Most of us aren't idiots ;)
The argument that our coaches don’t make mistakes and BF posters can’t have an opinion is tiring. It was a mistake. Blind Freddy could see it. If Maginness plays it’s to start and tag and especially on a hot day early in the year given his endurance. Merrett killed us again he’s elite. An obvious error.

Yeah cause Jon Brown never achieved anything and has no clue about being a CHF 🤯👍 unlike you of course 😂😂. Lewis doesn’t get to enough contests and doesn’t go hard enough in the air. If he did he would be one of the best going round.
Footy commentary is littered with good players making stupid comments. Jono Brown is the bloke that said we rorted free agency after picking up Simpkin and Frawley, despite losing Franklin for pick 19. He may have been a good player but he is an average analyst, so spare us the "We should listen to Jono Brown!" BS!

Just rewatched. A lot to like if you have the perspective that we are likely bottom 4 and still in the development phase. great debut games from recruits Ginni and Mass. Hardwick and Frost did well. Worpel CMac Moore played very well. Weddle good and doesn’t drop his head. Chol looked lively and if he kicks 2 and chops out in the ruck each week we would be thrilled.
We kicked poorly missing a lot of gettable opportunities. Forwardline going to take a while to gel. Ward is only an inside mid maybe he needs to go to box hill and play that role if not in the seniors. We obviously need a KPD more than anything else.
Other positive Calsher Dear kicked 4. The kid could be anything he’s had little football and has untapped potential.

Was at the game. I had a fun day. Loved Ginni, particularly in the first half. Chol’s flyer was awesone

Strange that people are bagging McKenzie. I thought he had some seriously good moments.

Feeling a bit salty about not getting McKay. He was excellent

We will be ok.

Agree that Finn as sub on a hot day was bonkers
Loved the one hander that Weddle pulled in as well!

Was at the game yesterday. Obviously disappointed not to get the win. There were obviously areas where we did well other that we struggled in however it is undeniable that goal kicking accuracy was the difference between the two teams. The conditions were perfect for goal kicking. Essendon won't be that accurate for the rest of the season and we won't miss as many gettable goals. That was the ball game. To reinforce it further the stat I follow closely is marks inside 50. If you are moving the ball well as a team this number reflects that. We won that comfortably and if we kicked better, we would have won. Objectively our forward group is far superior to what we had last year - 28 scoring shots. Big tick.

Other than goal kicking the centre bounce clearances was the other obvious contributing factor. Last year we were good in this area, and I expect this issue to be addressed as with the 6-6-6 rule it is crucial to at least break even. If you don't as with the dog’s game this is where the run ons come from and good sides don't let happen very often. We really need Will Day's foot to come good. Having him in the side means the opposition can’t sit on Newk. Also, Nash had a poor day and based on last year he will also improve. Worpel hasn't missed a beat from last year. Finn is a tagger so either tag or VFL. HH would have been preferable as we fumbled alot which he doesn't do.

Importantly our defence did okay - especially with Sicily having a completely ineffective afternoon. We got alot of goals which started from defence and played a big part in the inside 50's stat.
Finally, as noted by everyone of our recruits did really well. Can’t understand anyone criticising Chol yesterday. He should have kicked 4 straight. He needs to build his tank but i think we should swap him and Lewis and both of them will be better for it.

Except we didn’t 😂
It’s called life son but good luck.
Um... one person is trying to say if we kicked straighter it would have been better, and your argument was no it might not have been because of reasons.

Kicking straighter is better than being inaccurate. This fact is verifiable. The ifs and but of what happens after are purely conjecture.

Looks like he's dropped a few kilos. Understandable of course.
It gets mentioned a lot but he really is the heart and soul of this team.
Love watching him play.
He’s a ripper. Must’ve had some pre-season to play yesterday despite two weeks in bed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at the game yesterday. Obviously disappointed not to get the win. There were obviously areas where we did well other that we struggled in however it is undeniable that goal kicking accuracy was the difference between the two teams. The conditions were perfect for goal kicking. Essendon won't be that accurate for the rest of the season and we won't miss as many gettable goals. That was the ball game. To reinforce it further the stat I follow closely is marks inside 50. If you are moving the ball well as a team this number reflects that. We won that comfortably and if we kicked better, we would have won. Objectively our forward group is far superior to what we had last year - 28 scoring shots. Big tick.

Other than goal kicking the centre bounce clearances was the other obvious contributing factor. Last year we were good in this area, and I expect this issue to be addressed as with the 6-6-6 rule it is crucial to at least break even. If you don't as with the dog’s game this is where the run ons come from and good sides don't let happen very often. We really need Will Day's foot to come good. Having him in the side means the opposition can’t sit on Newk. Also, Nash had a poor day and based on last year he will also improve. Worpel hasn't missed a beat from last year. Finn is a tagger so either tag or VFL. HH would have been preferable as we fumbled alot which he doesn't do.

Importantly our defence did okay - especially with Sicily having a completely ineffective afternoon. We got alot of goals which started from defence and played a big part in the inside 50's stat.
Finally, as noted by everyone of our recruits did really well. Can’t understand anyone criticising Chol yesterday. He should have kicked 4 straight. He needs to build his tank but i think we should swap him and Lewis and both of them will be better for it.
Good summary. Completely agree.

BigFooty Hawks members.
We haven't had the opportunity now of watching our team in finals for last 8 years.
That's a long time now.
Early days yet granted; but looking at Geelong and Dangerfield saving the day for them yesterday last minute
yet again, does anyone get the nagging feeling with our recruiting policy of last few years, we just don't have
enough superstar A-graders and too many B+ players along all the lines of field? E.g. the ilk
of Frost/Impeys/Hardwicks/Chol etc., who try their best, but no match winner champions? Should we have targeted A-grade KPFs last 2 years? I think Sam was quoted last year as saying our current list is now enough with time to get high into finals? Does anyone
find the overall list lacking champions who can clutch a win last minute, and that we have gone overboard on short midfielders/flank
players?
two of our match-winner champions were tagged out of the game yesterday, while our other one has a stress fracture

you cant just magically acquire top-end talent. especially when there might be less than 50 of them among the whole comp.

17 other clubs are trying to do the exact same thing. you build with what's realistic and as the bones and performances get better we will be more likely to attract that true top-end KPP.

Curious what others saw of Nash but it looked like the bombers put a ton of work into him to make sure he couldn’t have an impact in the contest, hard to see from the stands but it also looked like he wasn’t able to get clean hands like he did last year.

Not uncommon for teams to put in a lot of work to new mids.

He was visibly angry in the rooms after the game

BigFooty Hawks members.
We haven't had the opportunity now of watching our team in finals for last 8 years.
That's a long time now.
Early days yet granted; but looking at Geelong and Dangerfield saving the day for them yesterday last minute
yet again, does anyone get the nagging feeling with our recruiting policy of last few years, we just don't have
enough superstar A-graders and too many B+ players along all the lines of field? E.g. the ilk
of Frost/Impeys/Hardwicks/Chol etc., who try their best, but no match winner champions? Should we have targeted A-grade KPFs last 2 years? I think Sam was quoted last year as saying our current list is now enough with time to get high into finals? Does anyone
find the overall list lacking champions who can clutch a win last minute, and that we have gone overboard on short midfielders/flank
players?

In my opinion, we currently have three elite or close to elite players: Sicily, Newcombe & Day. The latter is injured, and the former two underperformed yesterday.

From there we have a lot of younger guys and senior players that will be/are quality players but fall short of the absolute elite. Mackenzie, Ward, Hust, CMac, Weddle, Lewis, Moore, Hardwick, Ginni, Watson, CJ etc. Some of these can absolutely reach the next tier.

I will say I think our list has a much higher skill floor than most clubs. However, we lack the ceiling other clubs have due to prolonged periods of mediocrity from them combined with AFL interference. Due to our youth (second youngest team) it also won't immediately click.

It is important to note, that just because a club has a high hypothetical ceiling doesn’t mean they will reach it. At one point Carlton’s midfield was Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy & Judd, and it didn’t amount to anything. I will always prefer a champion team over a team of champions.

Frost was great. Not getting enough credit. Thought Wright was going to kick 10 when I saw him line up on him. Good to see all the new guys like Ginni, Chol, D'Ambrosio make a impact. Excited for the year!

Reeves needs to lift. Yet again, offered nothing other than the odd good tap.

BigFooty Hawks members.
That's a long time now.
players?

I mean - we tried that method, we recruited Wingard/Mitchell/O’Meara and yeah they did get us over the line now and then but if it’s never going to take you all the way then what’s the point.

We recruited the likes of Hodge/Mitchell in 2001 and didn’t really bear the fruits of those players for a good 5 years. A lot of our players who we hope to become stars are still in that 2-4 year bracket. Give them all time together, trust what we’re building. Its been proven so many times if you just stick together good things aren’t far away

I was quite happy with the effort until 3/4 time. Feeling chuffed. Ginni, Mass and Chol did very well. I could see a rainbow.

But the last quarter... Wow... The Druggies just walked it out of the centre every single time.

Very dispiriting.
One more gripe:
Why was Stringer allowed to keep taking uncontested marks ?

Not sure if this is extremely relevant but one thing that is starting to frustrate me is how the captain lets things get in his head. Yesterday after the push and shove and ridiculous free kick, he seemed to go into his shell. It’s almost as he’s thinking that it’s not his day today. An early turnover or niggle from an opponent can normally set him off too.

It’s a shame and I know I shouldn’t be comparing him to past legends like Derm, but those types of players tend to play better angry, whereas Sic is the opposite. It’s a harsh comparison and observation but I rate him that highly and it’s something I’ve noticed for a while.

He’s our best player, a gun of the competition and is every chance to bounce back and be best on against the Dees. He’s just so good that his down games can be very frustrating.
What's silly is Sicily did nothing wrong. Opening minute of the game he wins a contest and takes an intercept mark but they incorrectly give Essendon a free kick (sicily didn't take another intercept for the game). It also should have been reversed when Gresham pushed him over.

Then The free kick on McGrath his was ridiculous you cannot allow 3 players and more on their way to charge in and hit a player while the ball is dead. Bumps must be within 5 meters of the ball. Sicily just ducked down from those attacking him and McGrath bounced off, he didn't run at him we was attacked and protected himself. Umpires should have paid sicily the free on the first bump.

So in the first minute the umpires paid 6 decisions against Sicily. 1. free against (wrong call). 2. No reversal (wrong call). 3. bump 1 off ball no free (wrong call). 4. Bump 2 no free (wrong call). 5. Bump 3 no free (wrong call). 6. free against for being bumped into (wrong call).

Maybe better suited for "Questions that don't warrant their own thread" thread, but I noticed that the umpire at all centre bounces was always coming in from the members' wing to bounce the ball (I'm sure they use to alternate wings), and also they were bouncing it on the very edge of the circle close to the member wing rather than in the middle. Anyone know why? [My mate theorised that it was so they did not obscure the logo in the circle for the TV cameras]
The umpires go out before the start of the game and practice bouncing, my guess is there were a few deadspots right in the middle so they just bounced the ball where it got the best rebound.

What's silly is Sicily did nothing wrong. Opening minute of the game he wins a contest and takes an intercept mark but they incorrectly give Essendon a free kick (sicily didn't take another intercept for the game). It also should have been reversed when Gresham pushed him over.

Then The free kick on McGrath his was ridiculous you cannot allow 3 players and more on their way to charge in and hit a player while the ball is dead. Bumps must be within 5 meters of the ball. Sicily just ducked down from those attacking him and McGrath bounced off, he didn't run at him we was attacked and protected himself. Umpires should have paid sicily the free on the first bump.

So in the first minute the umpires paid 6 decisions against Sicily. 1. free against (wrong call). 2. No reversal (wrong call). 3. bump 1 off ball no free (wrong call). 4. Bump 2 no free (wrong call). 5. Bump 3 no free (wrong call). 6. free against for being bumped into (wrong call).
Terrible umpiring , no other words can describe it. The Oppo now know that they can push and shove Sicily and getaway with it. Absolute stupid umpiring that's killing sic confidence in those situations. I hope he goes all BOSS next week and gets BOG!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back