Autopsy Round 10, 2017: Sydney vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to back 6 day breaks has been a thing in the AFL for many years now. The Hawks looked very flat in the 1st quarter. After that it was catch up footy.

It seems there are too many variables that make up footy these days, a game that my simple mind struggles with.

Well done on getting the big odds last week.:thumbsu: It seems you were helped by one player going down at the start and another player missing the 2nd half. That's one of those variables that can't be predicted. :)

My amazement at seeing odds of $5.50 for a team that has owned us at our own ground, even when we're at at best, was too good to leave alone.

Absolutely, 100% agree that if Lloyd plays out the game, I've done my dough!
It's a fine line between a genius & a fool!

Watch the game again if you haven't. You will; find a disorganised team that lost their best exit person out of the backline in Lloyd.
It coincided with the 15 minutes you are talking about where other players had to suddenly change their roles to cover for Lloyd's loss. It put us on the back foot in the first minute & it was the break the Hawks needed & capitalised on. Rotations are critical! Ask anyone involved in top level AFL from TAC Cup to the big stuff.
Ask any coaching department from juniors to seniors. It's critical. That took care of the end of our game but the reshuffling needed to cover the loss of Lloyd gave them the 4 goal buffer that proved their saviour when we courageously fought back.

Yes. But you slightly miss my point. I'm not discounting the impact of rotations. It's my belief once Sam went down we only had a 20% chance of pulling that one out of the bag. Rotations are critical.

But it's a separate issue to whether or not we were tactically switched on.

Lloyd was a massive loss. But our losses to Collingwood and GWS followed very similar scripts in the first halves and no significant injuries were in either game.

That Hawks game is not an anomaly this season.

Yes. But you slightly miss my point. I'm not discounting the impact of rotations. It's my belief once Sam went down we only had a 20% chance of pulling that one out of the bag. Rotations are critical.

But it's a separate issue to whether or not we were tactically switched on.

Lloyd was a massive loss. But our losses to Collingwood and GWS followed very similar scripts in the first halves and no significant injuries were in either game.

That Hawks game is not an anomaly this season.

Momentum shifts in games occur for all sorts of reasons. I don't think there's enough to say there's a trend in that. Certainly there may be a trend in the game style but equally you could say that the game style in both the Hawthorn and Collingwood matches was countered and after the initial onslaught we were the better side in both. Additionally, there was the game where we smashed the opposition for the first 10 minutes but were fairly quickly overcome. Might have been West Coast? Not sure. Ultimately, you need to capitalise on possession and momentum when you have it. Against Collingwood we didn't. Against Hawthorn we couldn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back