Review Round 10, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Sydney

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Beams BOG according to the coaches

10 Dayne Beams (BL)
6 George Hewett (Syd)
4 Mitch Robinson (BL)
3 Darcy Gardiner (BL)
3 Stefan Martin (BL)
2 Josh Kennedy (Syd)
1 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Zak Jones (Syd)

21-9 votes our way

10 Dayne Beams (BL)
6 George Hewett (Syd)
4 Mitch Robinson (BL)
3 Darcy Gardiner (BL)
3 Stefan Martin (BL)
2 Josh Kennedy (Syd)
1 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Zak Jones (Syd)

21-9 votes our way

That's pretty incredible. Backs up Horse rating our performance in his presser.

Think those votes are pretty fair. It felt like we had the upper hand in the middle and had more standouts in defence. Apart from Nick Smith (who I'm surprised didn't get any votes), I thought most of their defenders were pretty average and that it was more our own incompetence at winning the ground ball inside 50 and our terrible accuracy in front of goal that were the problem moreso than anything else.

Think those votes are pretty fair. It felt like we had the upper hand in the middle and had more standouts in defence. Apart from Nick Smith (who I'm surprised didn't get any votes), I thought most of their defenders were pretty average and that it was more our own incompetence at winning the ground ball inside 50 and our terrible accuracy in front of goal that were the problem moreso than anything else.

Zero bronlow votes to date - Criminal.

No doubt the votes are about right but bit harsh on our defenders being average. They held up in the last quarter to hold out your dominance in the game. On your other point well I genuinely believe after watching all of Brisbane's games this year that you fix your unforced errors and you are playing finals.

Completely off topic but I went to the reserves at Brendale and got a good look at Josh Walker's noggin at the interchange. They have done a fantastic job for him and he looks years younger. He is a damn solid mark interesting to see if he gets back or is just good solid depth.

DSCN9713.JPG

10 Dayne Beams (BL)
6 George Hewett (Syd)
4 Mitch Robinson (BL)
3 Darcy Gardiner (BL)
3 Stefan Martin (BL)
2 Josh Kennedy (Syd)
1 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Zak Jones (Syd)

21-9 votes our way

Travesty that M Robbo only got 4 votes.

Standout BOG in my view.

10 Dayne Beams (BL)
6 George Hewett (Syd)
4 Mitch Robinson (BL)
3 Darcy Gardiner (BL)
3 Stefan Martin (BL)
2 Josh Kennedy (Syd)
1 Harris Andrews (BL)
1 Zak Jones (Syd)

21-9 votes our way

The maths nerd in me loves deconstructing these.

Only possible split of votes.

Coach A:
5 Beams
4 Hewett
3 Martin or Gardiner
2 Kennedy
1 Andrews or Jones

Coach B:
5 Beams
4 Robinson
3 Martin or Gardiner
2 Hewett
1 Andrews or Jones

So one coach - Coach B - had the top three players on the ground all being Lions. My gut feeling is that's Longmire. Sydney are good enough to be magnanimous.

Only 2 players in common from both coaches: Beams and Hewett.

It'd be interesting to know which coach had Gardiner at 3 votes and which had Martin. Personally I thought they were both hugely important to keeping us in the game, but I'd probably pick Martin myself. I'd like to think Longmire picked Gardiner; it's arguably the biggest compliment possible for a shut-down defensive role when the opposition coach thinks you were one of the best players on the ground.

Finally, if you could vote for a group of players you'd surely vote for Sydney's backline; each of McVeigh, Smith, Grundy and Rampe were excellent. I'm not sure which one of them I'd pick for the top 5 players on the ground though.

I hope it was Longmire who didn't put Robbo in his votes because I wouldn't want our team coached by someone who didn't rate his game.

Beams, Robbo and Hewett a clear top 3 I think.

Back