Preview Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium - Saturday 18th May, 7.30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of a couple of St Kilda Next Generation Academy (NGA) prospects pushing for top 30 contention is Mitch Owens, a rising talent out of the Sandringham Dragons. Having grown 15cm since his Under 16s campaign, the 18-year-old has developed into a dynamic utility who can play on either side of midfield and at both ends of the ground. His aerial work is impressive at 190cm and his gutsiness overhead translates to similarly relentless defensive effort. In one of the great opportunity snatches of 2021, Owens was a late call-up to this year's Vic Metro vs. Vic Country Under 19 Challenge match and took full toll, collecting 29 disposals and seven marks in a breakout performance which put his name in lights.

The other side to Owens' more flashy traits is his explosiveness across the ground. He showcases a terrific turn of speed when powering away from stoppages and isn't afraid to dish out a fend-off. Combined with that straight-line speed is his agility, which helps him get out of tight spots with little shifts either way to make would-be tacklers look silly and keep the play alive.

Like why on earth is this man not playing midfield?
He is not a natural inside midfielder.. If you watch Matt Crouch, Tom Mitchell, Libba, Cripps, they all hardly fumble, once they get the ball, they’ll either fend off or hand pass to a team mate on the outside like it’s telepathic ..

Owens is a very god contest player.. but in congestion, he gets lost.. just like Marshall, if he gets the ball, he should be aware of where his outside teammates are and handball it cleanly, but they often just wack it on the boot without any composure, I noticed Winghager doing a lot of this against Hawthorn, maybe due to Hawthorn’s excellent pressure.

He is not a natural inside midfielder.. If you watch Matt Crouch, Tom Mitchell, Libba, Cripps, they all hardly fumble, once they get the ball, they’ll either fend off or hand pass to a team mate on the outside like it’s telepathic ..

Owens is a very god contest player.. but in congestion, he gets lost.. just like Marshall, if he gets the ball, he should be aware of where his outside teammates are and handball it cleanly, but they often just wack it on the boot without any composure, I noticed Winghager doing a lot of this against Hawthorn, maybe due to Hawthorn’s excellent pressure.
There's lots of problems with how we play as a team and as individuals. Our mids just hold on to the ball too long and try and take on the tacklers, ending up in fluffy disposals or ball ups. There was one case against the Hawks where Ross had the ball after a centre bounce, and Hill was ready to receive an easy handball which may have set up a score, but instead tried to outrun the pack, got himself out too wide and did the dumb across the body kick to no man's land on a half forward near the boundary.
It seems like no player can really play their natural game under Lyon- it's process or nothing, and it's one reason why we don't have enough attack or flair in our play- natural attacking players are getting the ball and then having to think system or natural instinct and as a result we see kicks and handballs not hitting the targets etc.- it is killing us. I'm not saying Ratts was great coach, but there's a few players the list that played better attacking footy under him- King, Jones, Wood and probably even Steele. The scoreboard is showing it all- we're stuck in quicksand.

& Marshall is part of our problem he can not direct tap outs to midfielders & when you have a 2nd rate midfielders it adds to the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We should slim Marshall down and make him into an inside mid. He’s not a great ruckman but he plays like an extra mid.

When is this happening because I have not seen it when he’s had his very brief stints in the midfield?

We should slim Marshall down and make him into an inside mid. He’s not a great ruckman but he plays like an extra mid.
Maybe better to get Max in the middle and into the game- agile, skills, tall and not really a FF anyway, and put Marshall at FF and bring Heath in and throw him to the wolves in the ruck.

They're not world beaters but I feel that Dow and Clark can help with our stoppage stuff. We need guys that can actually break away from a stoppage and get a clean possession, not just dump kick it forward.
Absolutely 💯. We have to work with what we got and there’s a bit there to work with to change the midfield at least. Steele, Dow, Clark, Owens and Windy. Needs a fair crack and if it’s absolute balls at least we know we’re proper cooked

They're not world beaters but I feel that Dow and Clark can help with our stoppage stuff. We need guys that can actually break away from a stoppage and get a clean possession, not just dump kick it forward.

I was never a Dow fan after watching him play VFL for Carlton but he looked okay when he made the seniors towards the end of the year. Watched his last couple of VFL games and he still looks a long way off impacting at AFL level. He's missed months so probably still a few weeks off.

Clark looked pretty ordinary when he played VFL too. He's coming from a long way back and he's not got a lot of obvious benefits to the senior list right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm guessing if we lose this week, this place will go full scorched Earth!

Warm Heat Wave GIF by Barstool Sports

Hoping Hayes gets another chance.

He should do, it looks like Darcy will be right to play and Marshall will need some support in the ruck against him and Jackson.

Not to mention that Hayes is one of our only tall forwards that knows how to lead and can be relied on to kick straight for goal.

I'm guessing if we lose this week, this place will go full scorched Earth!

Warm Heat Wave GIF by Barstool Sports

I reckon losing to a bottom 4 side was the nuclear one. Losing to a side that still isn't out of the finals race is less dramatic to me. Last weekend snuffed any chance we had of making finals so was a real kick in the nuts.

Did the ladder predictor and have us finishing 15th so pick 4. That's 4 wins 14 losses and below Hawks on 7 wins. If Tigers or WCE get on a mini run they could easily jump us with easier draws.

I'm all about the draft now. Hope Dalrymple has still got it.

I reckon losing to a bottom 4 side was the nuclear one. Losing to a side that still isn't out of the finals race is less dramatic to me. Last weekend snuffed any chance we had of making finals so was a real kick in the nuts.

Did the ladder predictor and have us finishing 15th so pick 4. That's 4 wins 14 losses and below Hawks on 7 wins. If Tigers or WCE get on a mini run they could easily jump us with easier draws.

I'm all about the draft now. Hope Dalrymple has still got it.
One more win for the rest of the season? We've had a couple s**t losses and a fair few close ones. We are favourites this weekend for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back