Preview Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium - Saturday 18th May, 7.30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There's lots of problems with how we play as a team and as individuals. Our mids just hold on to the ball too long and try and take on the tacklers, ending up in fluffy disposals or ball ups. There was one case against the Hawks where Ross had the ball after a centre bounce, and Hill was ready to receive an easy handball which may have set up a score, but instead tried to outrun the pack, got himself out too wide and did the dumb across the body kick to no man's land on a half forward near the boundary.
It seems like no player can really play their natural game under Lyon- it's process or nothing, and it's one reason why we don't have enough attack or flair in our play- natural attacking players are getting the ball and then having to think system or natural instinct and as a result we see kicks and handballs not hitting the targets etc.- it is killing us. I'm not saying Ratts was great coach, but there's a few players the list that played better attacking footy under him- King, Jones, Wood and probably even Steele. The scoreboard is showing it all- we're stuck in quicksand.
doubt Ross coached that example -Seb makes some bad decisions with ball in hand

I just think this season is starkly similar to Freo’s last season. They were tipped to compete in finals again after 2022, cut some of their mid range core, couldn’t really build any fluency to ball movement and form was up and down. They really spent a lot of last season in an education phase but seem to be executing this season. At some stage, we’ll need to start executing and owning moments in games. That said, Freo have quite a few levers they can pull across the ground and have one of the better midfields.

Do we really need to continue having these discussions?

There was a named person that got a ban, that ban got overturned, cease with that narrative as you are just wrong and living in the past.

There was also a board ban, no one has named that individual yet, so double wrong.

Also, yes I kept Punter loling at your discussion, as he's right, and you deserve it for peddling conspiracy theorem as fact.

gringo2011 A4 format, post it address to Bigfooty, I'll get it framed and put it up on the walls so we can all have a...
Danger 5 Laughing GIF

Thanks to those discussing the game, you are all good sorts.

tldr: use the damned random thread you lazy numbskulls.

I think should we bite the bullet by including Dow (in for Hastie), and should strongly consider Caminiti for either Hayes or Membrey.

And perhaps Clark in for Paton or Stocker. All of Stock's numbers are down on last year, perhaps it's time for a refresh.

Edit: Might be time for a out: Ross (managed). I'm a long time supporter on here, and I think he's been better this season than many give him credit for, but he can't be as invisible as he was on Saturday, and perhaps someone else can be the midfield link man.

Last edited:
I’ll tell you what.
I’ve never seen this board so down on the team.
I feel the same way. Grabbed a shirt out of the drawer this morning and it was an old saints polo. Didn’t even want to wear it I’m that pissed off.

There was a named person that got a ban, that ban got overturned, cease with that narrative as you are just wrong and living in the past.

There was also a board ban, no one has named that individual yet, so double wrong.

Also, yes I kept Punter loling at your discussion, as he's right, and you deserve it for peddling conspiracy theorem as fact.

gringo2011 A4 format, post it address to Bigfooty, I'll get it framed and put it up on the walls so we can all have a...
Danger 5 Laughing GIF

What did I miss?

I think should we bite the bullet by including Dow (in for Hastie), and should strongly consider Caminiti for either Hayes or Membrey.

And perhaps Clark in for Paton or Stocker. All of Stock's numbers are down on last year, perhaps it's time for a refresh.

Edit: Might be time for a out: Ross (managed). I'm a long time supporter on here, and I think he's been better this season than many give him credit for, but he can't be as invisible as he was on Saturday, and perhaps someone else can be the midfield link man.
Agreed, i think Dow for Hastie is a no brainer. I know Dow isnt setting the world on fire at VFL level but I just feel that he will thrive more at the afl level. Even a poor game is going to be a greater output then Hastie at the moment.

Ross is a hard one, he provides a lot of utlity across the ground but his bad games are becoming more frequent.

I’ll tell you what.
I feel the same way. Grabbed a shirt out of the drawer this morning and it was an old saints polo. Didn’t even want to wear it I’m that pissed off.
Yeah I’m trying to work out when to fly to Melbourne to watch a match. Can’t quite bring myself to do it this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, i think Dow for Hastie is a no brainer. I know Dow isnt setting the world on fire at VFL level but I just feel that he will thrive more at the afl level. Even a poor game is going to be a greater output then Hastie at the moment.

Ross is a hard one, he provides a lot of utlity across the ground but his bad games are becoming more frequent.
VFL is so much below AFL in standard that it might do more harm than good to play some guys there for too long. If they think Dow can run out the game bring him in. Worst case scenario is we have to sub him out at 3/4 time or early in the last. The midfield needs something.

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

I have no idea what you're saying Fly but Dard had his posting privileges removed. Mowman has been permanently banned I'm pretty sure.

VFL is so much below AFL in standard that it might do more harm than good to play some guys there for too long. If they think Dow can run out the game bring him in. Worst case scenario is we have to sub him out at 3/4 time or early in the last. The midfield needs something.

To me Jones and Phillipou were much better than Dow. Dow looks rusty so far and a long way off.

I’ll tell you what.

Last year made us feel like our fortunes had finally turned. It feels further away than under Ratts tight now. Lots of similar sides are moving past us while we've stalled again. Lots of the players that looked like a bright future have dropped away and confidence is waning.

I think having a bad year might be a god send long term but it's hard to stomach right now. The list needs more talent added to it and stars usually come from the top end of the draft.

Problem for Dow is that he's one position player. He can't really play anywhere but on ball. If he is struggling we have blown a rotation.

We've looked s**t in nearly every game apart from the Pies game. We have managed to put on small patches of attacking footy and drag ourselves back into the contest after looking completely gone.

The game plan is so unattractive that it's hard not to feel aggravated watching them.
We have some seriously low footy IQ players as well which can really hurt. Just go back if you can take it and watch the game against the bulldogs. Every team has a game plan and then they bounce the ball and you have to think on your feet and choose the best option.

The opposition aren’t witches hats they’re out there to win and stop you doing as you please. We have way too many who don’t seem to understand that and then just go into their shells when things go badly. We also don’t seem to have many if any who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and lift the team.

We haven’t been unlucky we’ve been lousy.

We have some seriously low footy IQ players as well which can really hurt. Just go back if you can take it and watch the game against the bulldogs. Every team has a game plan and then they bounce the ball and you have to think on your feet and choose the best option.

The opposition aren’t witches hats they’re out there to win and stop you doing as you please. We have way too many who don’t seem to understand that and then just go into their shells when things go badly. We also don’t seem to have many if any who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck and lift the team.

We haven’t been unlucky we’ve been lousy.

Lack of leadership and motivation. We seem to be very easy to put off our game. Sydney play a similar style but have better players and they have a very high standard for effort that they expect the side to play to.

The Bulldogs game was weird because we knew that they were under pressure but failed to come in breathing fire. The Dogs kicked insanely accurately and that snuffed all our energy.

Lyon seems to have a very deliberate hold and surge game plan too. I think we failed to hold in the hold bits and by the time surge came the game was way out of our reach so just rolled over.

It will be interesting to see how we go with the pressure back our way.

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

They're welcome to use the Sooky La La thread too.

What about Dow for Hastie, Caminiti for Membrey and Clark for Ross ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back