Preview Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium - Saturday 18th May, 7.30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
it’s too early in the season to be writing off a team who’s only 2.5 wins outside the 8.

A lot can change in a short period of time, and our season to date suggests we’ve been more than competitive against most despite some real personnel issues.

The challenge this year is we traded/moved on much of the depth the aided us last year in Billings, Bytel, McKenzie, Gresham, Coffield who are capable of playing decent AFL footy and subsequently further exposed youth that is still finding there way.

If we retain that crop above, we probably have a better win/loss ratio but we’d be further away from a premiership.

Butler, Henry, King, Crouch, Dow, Clark, Higgins and Webster have all missed too much footy for various reason, putting more pressure on Phillipou, Owens, Windhager, Wilson and Garcia who are still finding their way.

There’s no reason with continuity that the wins and losses don’t start to balance out, but even if they don’t, it’s very early in what is very clearly a rebuild on the fly to throw the toys out of the cot

I'm pretty frustrated like everyone.

What I will say is I think the old saying, you're never as good as you think you are or as bad is probably true.

Being out of form now doesn't mean we will be all year.

Still a lot of games to go, and a lot of opportunity to improve.

Carlton last year, Essendon last year, Giants even. These team at stages looked a lot worse than they do now.

So when it doesn't work he needs to do something else - and our results have shown he has no answer - this is the problem

It’s a little more complicated than that.

The game plan & style has been trained since November (actually it probably began in the previous November). You can’t simply go in a different direction at a whim.

Why it fell away & how that can be fixed is the issue.

Personnel is the major problem IMO. Too many blokes horribly out of form or injured… kids playing before they’re ready or struggling.

It doesn’t take much to throw the whole mix out… and its very clear that we’re out of sync in way too many ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell you now, they tried to change (albeit slightly) the game plan against the Bulldogs. The reason was the quick turn around and the players and coaches wary they wouldn’t be able to implement the normal game plan due to fatigue. We know how that turned out. So no, it’s not the game plan, it’s as some have already stated a lot of players dreadfully out of form

For some strange reason I think we are going to bounce back this week. Injury list is shrinking and most players back are match fit now, so no excuses.

It’s time to move past Max King as a forward and put him on the wing or in the ruck. He looked unreal in the Collingwood game getting up the ground. Looked a natural fit for him, need more of it!

For some strange reason I think we are going to bounce back this week. Injury list is shrinking and most players back are match fit now, so no excuses.

It’s time to move past Max King as a forward and put him on the wing or in the ruck. He looked unreal in the Collingwood game getting up the ground. Looked a natural fit for him, need more of it!
I’m confident

A couple of years before, not within a couple of years.

Lyon is building for a sustainable future, Richo wasn't building anything
Richo had many failings, but he is also one that could very much blame the tools and materials he was given.
Pretty much in AFL administration.
&
Elshaug...what hope did we have?

Just a quick one on Max King ( not sure if this has been discussed) I watched most of the last q again on replay and was stunned to see that at one stage I think wood had it on the 50 m line and all Max had to do was double back into a heap of space about 40 out directly in front . But instead he chose to keep moving into heavy traffic into the forward pocket area . Eventually the ball came in and went thru for a point? I think . Just zero forward craft . Almost like he didn’t want it . Like I said I was stunned to see that .

Yep, we can all see it with Max. All except the coaches and probably Max himself.

Just a quick one on Max King ( not sure if this has been discussed) I watched most of the last q again on replay and was stunned to see that at one stage I think wood had it on the 50 m line and all Max had to do was double back into a heap of space about 40 out directly in front . But instead he chose to keep moving into heavy traffic into the forward pocket area . Eventually the ball came in and went thru for a point? I think . Just zero forward craft . Almost like he didn’t want it . Like I said I was stunned to see that .
Whats time in the quarter was this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney are composed and very skilful, that’s why they’re so hard to beat.
I watch the swans most weeks live (at the SCG). They play that small ground remarkably well. I don’t think they play like us at all. They bring the ball out of the back line to a flank then diagonally across the ground so that there is leading space. Critically, and contrasting, they have players ahead of the ball that lead to space. I don’t see that with us, unfortunately.

Selection is tough since no one really demanded to be picked at Sandy. Gotta just go for what you think will help with balance and fix our deficiencies IMO.

Out: Ross, Hastie
In: Dow, Sharman

B: Wilkie, Howard, Webster
HB: NWM, Battle, Sinclair
C: Hill, Steele, Wood
HF: Henry, King, Owens
F: Wilson, Hayes, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Windhager, Dow
Int: Paton, Garcia, Sharman, Bonner
Sub: Stocker

Give Hayes one more chance. Sharman is there to prop up the forward line when Hayes goes into the ruck and can take Battle's place in defence if we need to sub Hayes again and do the ol' Carlisle forward play. Let's see if Dow brings anything to the table and give Paton a full game - he's not an impact player so not a great choice for sub. I could see Stocker having an impactful run through the midfield coming on fresh in the third quarter though. King to play much higher and help with transition from D50 to F50 rather than just bombing it on his head every time.

Want Pou to string some form together and Hammer to kick more goals than behinds before they're recalled.

Yep 100% this. He has not improved his forward craft at all.

They talked about this on first crack. Joey was talking about his lack of forward craft and David King said this is the 10th time we’ve talked about it. Why is this time going to be different?

I struggle to see how we compete against Serong, Brayshaw and Young. We probably need to bring in Dow and/or Clark but their form isn't amazing.

We desperately need a win to get confidence back but personally I don't see us winning this. Darcy missing would help but Jackson is no slouch.

The midfield will definitely need to pull their finger out for this one. I think in all our losses, the opposition midfield beat us over four quarters, so it will be no good just to spend the first quarter chasing and blocking, we need the mids to attack the ball.

B - Wilkie Howard Webster

HB - NWM Battle Sinclair

C - Wood Windhager Hill

HF - Membrey King Henry

F - Owens Marshall Garcia

R - Campbell Steele Dow

Int - Wilson, Bonner, Stocker, Sharman

Sub - Jones

Stavro has been absent IMO because others feel the need to chop his legs off whenever he posts.

Right or Wrong, his opinions are just as valid here, the calls to scroll past could also be used
Yes that would be it. Individuals who should know better but insist on badgering him into the ground.

it’s too early in the season to be writing off a team who’s only 2.5 wins outside the 8.

A lot can change in a short period of time, and our season to date suggests we’ve been more than competitive against most despite some real personnel issues.

The challenge this year is we traded/moved on much of the depth the aided us last year in Billings, Bytel, McKenzie, Gresham, Coffield who are capable of playing decent AFL footy and subsequently further exposed youth that is still finding there way.

If we retain that crop above, we probably have a better win/loss ratio but we’d be further away from a premiership.

Butler, Henry, King, Crouch, Dow, Clark, Higgins and Webster have all missed too much footy for various reason, putting more pressure on Phillipou, Owens, Windhager, Wilson and Garcia who are still finding their way.

There’s no reason with continuity that the wins and losses don’t start to balance out, but even if they don’t, it’s very early in what is very clearly a rebuild on the fly to throw the toys out of the cot
If you're being positive while Premo has now fallen into negativity, its fair to say this place has gone completely to the dogs.

B - Wilkie Howard Webster

HB - NWM Cordy Sinclair

C - Wood Windhager Wilson

HF - Battle King Hill

F - Sharman Henry Garcia

R - Marshall Steele Owens

Int - Clark, Bonner, Stocker, Hayes

Sub - Dow/Jones

Not only losing but kicking 53 points against a side like that.

Then came the presser after, it only got worse after that.

Basset went way too early with his letter to the members.
there were 2 teams playing Sam played an uber flood with young hungry player and closed the game down-that was the game they wanted and got
Crouch out really had a big impact.. he was the 1-2 punch with Steele.. now we just left with Steele..

Then the small forwards Butler and Higgins out also cost us games.. could have stolen 1-2 games by having them both.

We are not playing attractive style at the moment, that bit is true.. might be because our midfield is missing Crouch so we can hardly generate any drive / easy score from there, so have to play conservative
would have won last week with Higgo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back