Preview Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle - Marvel Stadium - Saturday 18th May, 7.30pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyon is building to a plan rather than just hoping that everything will work out. What we don't know is if he's up to date with what he's building.
Well if that plan is to build a team without at least two gun mids, then he is trying to build a race car with a lawn mower for an engine.

It might look flash, but it is only ever going to crawl along.

Kind of disappointing that I have to come here and say this but if you're one to make light of mental health issues, or shame people for suffering from them, you'd best keep it to yourself and ideally go and educate yourself. Absolutely not on.

Anyway, some surprising changes this week - particularly having so many of them. Don't mind it though - Caminiti, Jones and Sharman earned a recall. Dow, Collard and Phillipou were probably quieter overall but don't mind seeing them all in. Hopefully Dow is one who's more likely to produce at AFL level than in the VFL, been keen to see what he can add to the team.

I don't know who else I'd choose but I hope Collard doesn't start as the sub. I really just wish they'd piss the sub rule off entirely.

The ins are underwhelming but thats where the list is at.

Looking forward to seeing Dow. But seeing the likes of Jones back doesn't excite and while I'm glad to see Collard get a run, his game on the weekend certainly didn't deserve a promotion so seeing him back is a shock.
Yes Jones butchered it by foot on Sunday - let’s hope he decides to go by hand as much as possible.

I think the reality is RTB is searching everywhere for a better midfield combination

No way Collard could be selected on last weeks form but again RTB searching for someone to ignite us up forward and no doubt Collard knows where the goals are (just go to get the pill!)

Despite his indifferent form when last selected, Sharman deserves a recall based on his last two games at Sandy. Was a class above the others and looked better than VFL standard.

I just wish we'd settle him in one position and let him try and make a go of it. He's been a little like Battle when he was tossed around from the forward line to the wing to an emergency ruck before giving him a prolonged run as a defender.

Ironically, Sharman's best work at Sandy has been as a key backman.

Needs to put on 30kgs and a mullet and go full g train

It is not just muscle that makes a player know how to go well in body on body play.

Max like our ex player Kosi is very poor at body on body play. We need him marking at full stretch and on the move.

In his younger years with his height, leap and the way they play the game he never will have had to use body on body play, and it may well be too late for that now for it ever to become instinctive for him.

He needs to play a style that tries to minimise it as the opposition coaches are all on to it now to close him down.

Play him in space. Play him more up the ground. I just do not thing deep ff is a good role for him. He lacks the physicality and forward craft.

If a roost, kick it over a pack that he runs in and leaps over. The young twig like Darcy did that to us often in the Dogs game.

Swung the axe but the changes are perplexing.

Collard was virtually anonymous for Sandringham, Jones was spraying them everywhere, Sharman and Phillipou were solid if unspectacular. Dow had some moments but at least he gives us some speed and hopefully burst out of stoppage.

I want to see Sharman forward but he’s listed on the wing again (has he ever played well there?) and we’ve gone back to the awkwardly tall and slow forward line. Membrey going out might make us a bit quicker and Caminiti deserved a spot. It still looks unbalanced to me.

Interesting to see how it goes. The forward line is a big question mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rooey isn't the player for him to try to emulate. I honestly am not sure who Max is most comparable to but he needs to find an elite player that he believes he can model his game on.

He'd be closest to Joe Daniher.

I do agree. Just feel like there’s no one else..? Either way Ross and Jones are deadwood

Jones has worked his arse off to be Sandringhams best player for weeks. Selection integrity says he deserves a game over guys like Ross. Dow looks nowhere near ready to me.

Don't understand the Phillipou recall.

If I've ever seen a player who needed a solid run in the VFL to get his mojo back, he was the one.

As for Collard - last small forward who hasn't had run.

He got very decent numbers. Perhaps they had a set of markers that he met. I got to know a player under Richo. He'd get him to meet certain markers in the VFL then move the goal posts. Several other players were bagging the coach for it too.

I'm not, track watchers have been impressed by him all summer, he got a game in round 1 on the back of that form on the track.

His VFL form has been patchy but even then he's kicked bags of 4,3,2 and shown that he can be quite dangerous even if inconsistent.

For mine he's got AFL talent written all over him but he's a bit amature in his application and consistency. Its worth exposing him more at the level so he understands what it takes. That and he could geniunly get on the end of a few goals because he's got the talent.

Also with no Butts and Higgins we need him
Ok. I’ll ease up on the bongs then whilst watching the VFL.

Not sure who plays Stocker's role? Paton? Jones?

And what is Phillipou's role, to crumb? We've got Max, Hammer, Titanic and Mitchito upfront and no crumbers aside from maybe Henry. Anyone know?

Stocker being the defensively minded midfield HBF option you'd have to assume Paton fits that bill.
For Pou, whilst Garcia went from that F50 and Collard comes in as obvious in that space, Pou is similarly there for Hastie as the go between option whereby Hastie is defensively minded, Pou is forward orientated.

This then matches the rhetoric of 'need more goals" given;

Dow is an extractor.
Jones is a straight line runner forward.
We changed 2 forwards for 2 other forwards (Membrey, Hayes for Caminiti & Sharman)
We shifted from Garcia to Collard as the "small".

All that screams midfield rotational and go forward. So you'd assume Pou to rotate from mid to HFF whereas Hastie was mid to HBF for example. You then assume Sharman to play Membreys role of GTFO when required from that F50 for a midfield rotational rest, and Caminiti chops out in the ruck ala Hayes.

So we're not as big up forward as it depends on mix ups at any single time.

Dow looks exactly like a discarded player looks like....a battler running around at Sandy. Hope he proves me wrong.

Looks rusty, he used to get massive numbers in the VFL once. He's hardly touching the ball at the moment.

Looks rusty, he used to get massive numbers in the VFL once. He's hardly touching the ball at the moment.

Caveat being he is coming back from injury, so likely just finding himself again, and given that we lacked the first touch option was then first choice on some fitness based instances for a rotation in?

I mean, you're not going to have Ross or Stocker as core extractor at a CC these days, and if you have one even a bit down from an injury rehab, why not if he gets through things?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back