Autopsy Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

WHAT WAS THAT SOLDIER.....WE DON'T SHOW OFF BY KICKING GOALS AT STKILDA.
DROP AND GIVE ME 10.
That was wrong of me.

I've been watching Caleb play since he made his debut for Warragul as 14 year old.
He was going to make it anywhere kid just has the right stuff mentally.

I even think I said at the time we will regret not getting him.
It's what shits me we have let a blue chipper go through our hands and we have done it time and time again

A couple of thoughts for those criticising Lyon.

1. As bad as we look right now, the first 10 rounds of Lyon's 2nd season have still been better than the first 10 rounds of Ratten's 2nd season.

2. Remember the last time Freo came to Marvel under Ratten? Saints got obliterated in the 2nd half. Worse than tonight.

1st. Ratts us gone. He ain't coming back. We've been told that Lyon is so far ahead of anything we've had since, well, Lyon. If he gets the kudos for last year. You better ****ing believe he cops the criticism. The buck stops with him.

2. The scoreline flattered us. Just like it did against Port. They had 18 behinds. We had 15 scoring shots. Let that sink in. The had 3 more behinds than we had shots at goal.

The players have shown something before
Sinclair
Steele
King
are 3 examples of players going missing

something has upset the apple cart at the club
Steeles good season seems an anomoly.
Kings 23, perhaps he comes good but it’s always been more potential than output.
Sincs might have already peaked.

In any event 3 guys having looked good before doesn’t mean we’re better than this. This current look is sustained form, we are where we belong.

Really, really poor.
Turnovers killing us and it hard to win a game when your are consistently second to the ball.
5 marks I50 is pathetic!
Hard to find any positives from this game, other than the fact it is over.
Screenshot_20240518_223047_Footy Live.jpg

2023:

Excited Arrested Development GIF

2024:

Animated GIF

Have to accept that this is a full on development season now.

Keep pumping games into Windy, Owens, Nas, Pou, Sharman, Caminiti, Wilson.

Keep rotating the other kids through: Collard, Garcia, Hastie, Schoenmaker, Keeler.

Have a good look at Paton and Clark to see if they're worth keeping around.

Play Dow in the middle for the rest of the season to see what he's got.

Give Marshall a couple of weeks off throughout the season to avoid him being overworked and breaking down.

Don't bother playing underdone/injured older players. Definitely don't rush them back.

Get in the ear of any free agents who might jump on a big bag of cash. Hopefully Seb, Membrey, Jones and Howard will be off the books at the end of the year which would free up a load of cash.

Look, if we were told we’ll lose to Freo (2nd best midfield in the comp I read somewhere) by 17 points before the game, I would have taken it.. was really expecting a thumping.. was close to a thumping had Freo kicked straight..

With the worst midfield in the comp… I’m really convinced now that we really have no choice other than to play a defensive style.. otherwise, every single team is going to beat us by 10 goals.. when we want to play the kids, is that a good environment to develop young players? Hence the dual narrative, we want to “win”, but also want to play the kids as much as possible.

It’s clear Steele is not happy, he was pushed to be the captain because he was our best player.. but he is now fighting in the midfield by himself against 4-5 quality opposition every game. Think the rumour last year that he is not happy and was a chance to be traded last year might be true.. I wouldn’t be too upset if he wants to go and we can get a good young mid and a first round pick for him.. To me Wilkie needs to be the captain..

If Battles goes and we finish bottom 4… we should target to get pick 5 as compensation pick.. then trade out Steele for a young mid and more draft picks… let Silvagne/Allan go to work…

Things can turn quickly if we get good mids (by trade, FA and draft)… This is really what’s holding us back at the moment.. when we can’t win the contested ball, playing fast with our poor skills currently will just be turnover city and getting thumped by 100+ weekly..

Kings 23, perhaps he comes good but it’s always been more potential than output.

In any event 3 guys having looked good before doesn’t mean we’re better than this. This current look is sustained form, we are where we belong.
Well why the hell did Basset sack Ratten and bring in Lyon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't keep using age and experience as an excuse… it's the game plan and coaching.

Worst side in the comp to watch right now.

Young guys looking absolutely lost and bereft of confidence.

Hopefully we don't pull another McMattress in the draft.
No it’s not, it’s the players, our mids are worse than north -15 clearance and when did we last hit up a lead u think the coaches tell them to do that, we simply don’t have any good players in the middle

I've been an enthusiastic supporter of Lyon's return, and I am a patient man. Losing games I cam deal with,

But watching us play, the whole team looks like it's going through the motions and I can't understand it. Steele looks like an emotional hostage, not one player seems prepared to take the game on, they wander about chaperoning oppo players and looking for cheapies, fumbling marks and kicking carelessly. This cannot be a single player issue, but Ross is no mug so I cannot fathom how it is still this bad.

If its not Ratts,
and it's not the players,
And it's not Ross,
And it's not the list manager,
And it's not the president,
WTF is it?

I reckon Steele's knee is crook again.
He's shown when he's fit he's vital. The year is shot. Get him fit and ready for next year. Not doing him or the club any good.

Look, if we were told we’ll lose to Freo (2nd best midfield in the comp I read somewhere) by 17 points before the game, I would have taken it.. was really expecting a thumping.. was close to a thumping had Freo kicked straight..

With the worst midfield in the comp… I’m really convinced now that we really have no choice other than to play a defensive style.. otherwise, every single team is going to beat us by 10 goals.. when we want to play the kids, is that a good environment? Hence the dual narrative.

It’s clear Steele is not happy, he was pushed to be the captain because he was our best player.. but he is now fighting in the midfield by himself against 4-5 quality opposition every game. Think the rumour last year that he is not happy and was a chance to be traded last year might be true.. I wouldn’t be too upset if he wants to go and we can get a good young mid and a first round pick for him.. To me Wilkie needs to be the captain..

If Battles goes and we finish bottom 4… we should target to get pick 5 as compensation pick.. then trade out Steele for a young mid and more draft picks… let Silvagne/Allan go to work…

Things can turn quickly if we get good mids (by trade, FA and draft)… This is really what’s holding us back at the moment.. when we can’t win the contested ball, playing fast with our poor skills currently will just be turnover city and getting thumped by 100+ weekly..

North get pumped by ten goals every game but their kids get the chance to show something.

Our game plan gives our kids no chance to show much of anything.

I've been an enthusiastic supporter of Lyon's return, and I am a patient man. Losing games I cam deal with,

But watching us play, the whole team looks like it's going through the motions and I can't understand it. Steele looks like an emotional hostage, not one player seems prepared to take the game on, they wander about chaperoning oppo players and looking for cheapies, fumbling marks and kicking carelessly. This cannot be a single player issue, but Ross is no mug so I cannot fathom how it is still this bad.

If its not Ratts,
and it's not the players,
And it's not Ross,
And it's not the list manager,
And it's not the president,
WTF is it?
It’s the players it has been for 10 years

What has happened to our players?
King, poo, Wilkie, Owens Sharman, Ross, Paton, Sinclair etc.
All performing significantly worse than last year.
Honestly, we need to just keep on losing from here.
Top 5 pick would really be helpful.
Maybe we need to be down the bottom for another few years before we are ready. .
Big problem is, if we do that some of our bright potential stars may leave. NAS has me really worried at this point

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not surprised it felt like a morgue.

I'm not going to another game this year, literally a waste of my time to make the effort, if the club won't.
I can't recall becoming so disinterested this quick in a season
Well done Ross....how many rounds to go?
I'm going to get those guitar lessons instead, and do something life affirming.

That was wrong of me.

I've been watching Caleb play since he made his debut for Warragul as 14 year old.
He was going to make it anywhere kid just has the right stuff mentally.

I even think I said at the time we will regret not getting him.
It's what shits me we have let a blue chipper go through our hands and we have done it time and time again
Hill will retire in a couple of years. :(

Freo kicked 4.12 in the second half tonight and should probably have kicked 12.4. That would have been fair for the run of play imo.
In the game I'm referring to, it was 11.5 71 to 3.4 22 in the 2nd half.

To me it looks like we’ve tried to change too much from last year.
I for the life of me can’t see how we look for Bonner so much when we can have Hill, NAS and sincs as our distributors coming out of defence. Have Wood, Wilson & Henry on the wings. If we use these guys to move the ball quicker the forward line will open up.

Get in the ear of any free agents who might jump on a big bag of cash. Hopefully Seb, Membrey, Jones and Howard will be off the books at the end of the year which would free up a load of cash.

Don't bother hunting for free agents.
We'll end up paying overs for guys that won't actually improve us.
If Battle goes we need to keep Howard. Seb may call it a year. Membrey may go elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back