Discussion Round 11 and 12, 2021 (Indigenous Round) - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

ROUND 11

Friday, May 28

Western Bulldogs v Melbourne (MRVL) (N)

Saturday, May 29
Collingwood v Geelong (MCG)
Brisbane Lions v Greater Western Sydney (G)
St Kilda v North Melbourne (MRVL) (T)
Gold Coast v Hawthorn (SCG) (N)
West Coast v Essendon (OS) (N)

Sunday, May 30
Richmond v Adelaide (GS)
Sydney v Carlton (SCG)
Port Adelaide v Fremantle (AO) (T)

ROUND 12

Friday, June 4

Melbourne v Brisbane Lions (GS) (N)

Saturday, June 5
Sydney v St Kilda (SCG)
Adelaide v Collingwood (AO) (T)
Essendon v Richmond (OS) (N)

Sunday, June 6
Carlton v West Coast (SCG)
Fremantle v Western Bulldogs (OS) (N)

Byes: Geelong, Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide

Last edited:
Been a while since we've worn this combo though
Just did some digging and the last time this combination was worn was the 2009 Semi Final (a.k.a The 'Right in front of me!' Game).

However as we know this was a bizzare occurrence where Collingwood, the home team, wore white shorts.
1622975664173.png

So you only have to go back a few weeks to Round 19 which was technically the last time we wore that combination in Adelaide.
1622975827036.png

I prefer the clash matchup against the Crows in terms of maximum contrast, but the Black jumper probably has enough white on the back to easily differentiate between the too, so more than acceptable contrast in my eyes. It looks absolutely killer too.

Add me to the camp that Indigenous round should go back to one week. I'm pretty sure the motivation to make it two weeks was because clubs were upset about not wearing their jumpers in a home game, but if that was the main reason then the execution this season has been woeful. The second week is a bye round for six teams, and four of those teams were the away team in the first week so still didn't get to wear it at home.

Go back to a single week, but utilise any number of tactics to avoid clashes. They could schedule the match-ups between clubs that don't have like colours; so avoid having two navy teams against each other, don't have Sydney v Gold Coast, etc. Perhaps encourage teams that have white as one of their colours to produce predominately white jumpers to help reduce clashes. Maybe jumpers need to be approved by the AFL by August the year before, so they know the designs well in advance and can schedule the match-ups with jumpers already in mind. There are many ways the AFL can go about it to ensure every club wears an Indigenous jumper in the round itself without causing clashes. If clubs then want to wear it in a home game at another time of the year, then they can do that if they like.

If they choose to persist with two weeks then you have to make sure every team has a home game as a non-negotiable. From there though, I'd also be inclined to say that only home teams wear an Indigenous jumper (with perhaps the Dreamtime game as an exception, as it is the same fixture each year and each team already designs a clash version when it is their turn to be away). Firstly this ensures there are no clashes as the away team just wears whatever best suits from their regular kits. Secondly, and this might be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I've found the optics of some teams wearing it both weeks and some not a bit awkward. And not just this year. Go back to 2019, and in the second week Essendon v Carlton had both teams in home jumpers, despite their respective Indigenous jumpers not clashing. It just feels like when you don't wear it the second time, its a bit like "we only cared enough to wear it once". I'm sure thats not always the case, but it just has that awkward feeling to me.

Just did some digging and the last time this combination was worn was the 2009 Semi Final (a.k.a The 'Right in front of me!' Game).

However as we know this was a bizzare occurrence where Collingwood, the home team, wore white shorts.
View attachment 1148629

So you only have to go back a few weeks to Round 19 which was technically the last time we wore that combination in Adelaide.
View attachment 1148631

I prefer the clash matchup against the Crows in terms of maximum contrast, but the Black jumper probably has enough white on the back to easily differentiate between the too, so more than acceptable contrast in my eyes. It looks absolutely killer too.

Crows wore home jumper in away games up to 2013 too. Collingwood-Adelaide has always been one of those strange ones where I don't think the home jumpers are all that much of a clash, despite both being on a dark base. The gold/red of the crows against the white of the Pies really contrast pretty well. In fact, some of our white jumpers have actually provided less of a contrast IMO. I'd be happy for the arrangement from that 2009 semi final to be in place for every game if the clubs wanted to do it. Its in line with my thinking for Showdowns; Port in white shorts regardless of whose home game it is would be fine for me.

Add me to the camp that Indigenous round should go back to one week. I'm pretty sure the motivation to make it two weeks was because clubs were upset about not wearing their jumpers in a home game, but if that was the main reason then the execution this season has been woeful. The second week is a bye round for six teams, and four of those teams were the away team in the first week so still didn't get to wear it at home.

Go back to a single week, but utilise any number of tactics to avoid clashes. They could schedule the match-ups between clubs that don't have like colours; so avoid having two navy teams against each other, don't have Sydney v Gold Coast, etc. Perhaps encourage teams that have white as one of their colours to produce predominately white jumpers to help reduce clashes. Maybe jumpers need to be approved by the AFL by August the year before, so they know the designs well in advance and can schedule the match-ups with jumpers already in mind. There are many ways the AFL can go about it to ensure every club wears an Indigenous jumper in the round itself without causing clashes. If clubs then want to wear it in a home game at another time of the year, then they can do that if they like.

If they choose to persist with two weeks then you have to make sure every team has a home game as a non-negotiable. From there though, I'd also be inclined to say that only home teams wear an Indigenous jumper (with perhaps the Dreamtime game as an exception, as it is the same fixture each year and each team already designs a clash version when it is their turn to be away). Firstly this ensures there are no clashes as the away team just wears whatever best suits from their regular kits. Secondly, and this might be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I've found the optics of some teams wearing it both weeks and some not a bit awkward. And not just this year. Go back to 2019, and in the second week Essendon v Carlton had both teams in home jumpers, despite their respective Indigenous jumpers not clashing. It just feels like when you don't wear it the second time, its a bit like "we only cared enough to wear it once". I'm sure thats not always the case, but it just has that awkward feeling to me.
I don’t understand why they can’t lock that week in as a set team A vs B like Dreamtime is every year. Have the local derbies and old rivalries set for that round. Everyone wears their indigenous Kit and then every other year your team is the home team. Job done.

I don’t understand why they can’t lock that week in as a set team A vs B like Dreamtime is every year. Have the local derbies and old rivalries set for that round. Everyone wears their indigenous Kit and then every other year your team is the home team. Job done.

Nah, the derby round should be separate, like it used to be.

Yeah not sure about derbies, but set matchups every year could possibly work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back