Review Round 14, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. GWS

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't been this furious about a footy matter ever, when does the tribunal sit? If the punishment isn't at the absolute minimum 4 weeks I think my head will explode in rage. Should be 6-10 weeks IMO.
Totally agree minimum 6 weeks, at no point did he have an extended arm for the spoil or a mark , lead with his elbow cocked was there slightly late.
Lets not forget Andrews had already spoiled the ball.
You simply can't defend a high elbow in this manner , should get the full extent of the law.

On another note why wouldn't you want to bring in send offs , maybe the people in charge should realize 30 years ago or more we didn't have the evidence of the severity of concussion as we do now.
So no need to stick with tradition if we were traditionally uninformed .

I’m assuming Andrews & Gardiner will be out injured. Hodge probably wouldn’t have been rested given the bye last week.
I’d be tempted to move Hipwood to defence as a learning experience.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whatever Cameron gets and it should be six or more in my opinion - one of those weeks should be carried over to next season and when we play the Giants he should be forced to miss that game. We have lost a player for the season by sounds of things and other clubs will benefit from Cameron not playing.
And they play 1 man down for the whole game.

And they play 1 man down for the whole game.

I think that would be fair for an incident like Bugg, Houli or Hall but when there's question marks over how intentional the act was just having one less on the bench would be a fair penalty.

I think that would be fair for an incident like Bugg, Houli or Hall but when there's question marks over how intentional the act was just having one less on the bench would be a fair penalty.
Maybe they need to bring back a sub-rule for instances like these.
There needs to be a leveling of the playing field under these circumstances.
The team that has lost a player due to acts like this one should not be a man down for the entirety of the game.

Maybe they need to bring back a sub-rule for instances like these.
There needs to be a leveling of the playing field under these circumstances.
The team that has lost a player due to acts like this one should not be a man down for the entirety of the game.

You just don't want a grey area between reckless and intentional acts for a team to be severely disadvantaged by a genuine accident.

I’m assuming Andrews & Gardiner will be out injured. Hodge probably wouldn’t have been rested given the bye last week.
I’d be tempted to move Hipwood to defence as a learning experience.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely Frost comes in, if he doesn't Fagan is blatently ignoring particular players not matter what they do.

Probably depends if Eagles is fit.
I am not Fagan, but in my mind Eagles is ahead of Frost.

And Gardiner. We might stick with Gardiner and Walker. Freo worn have a tall forwardline

Finding the red card debate interesting. Bit of a tough one to design a tribunal for.

On one hand, the AFL easily have a big enough payroll to have an on-call system. Either the Match Review Officer or a tribunal panel or some other similar committee (the AFL have enough of them). This happens, they discuss off-field, and determine whether there's sufficient to warrant taking the player off. 5 minutes later, the umpires could be informed that at the next stop in play, Cameron is to leave the field on a red-card.

Could be in play for any call where an opposition player has been removed from the game as a result of a play deemed severe and reckless/intentional by the panel.

Of course, then we have another panel, making odd calls, and it won't be long before the line in the sand moves. One called accidental on-field but intentional after the fact. Or the other way around. New footage comes to light. A player was thought out injured, but after half-time comes back (not for HIA, but for other things). Imbalance of removing a top line player for sins against a fringe player, or the imbalance of a marginally talented sniper taking out an opposition star.

It's uneven now, and it could be just as uneven under a red card system. Tough one to know.

Surely Frost comes in, if he doesn't Fagan is blatently ignoring particular players not matter what they do.
If Gardiner is out and Frost isn't selected I think you should assume that the selectors consider he hasn't done enough to warrant selection or doesn't fill a need, rather than that the coach has some sort of fixed agenda as you suggest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He hasn't done anything like enough to justify promotion. Nowhere even close. That's the sorry truth. It's not about "ignoring" anyone. It's up to the individual to make selection undeniable.

We could do with a bit of pace. Cox will do.

Just on the red card debate, i think it would be foolish to have a send off rule ala soccer. What would make more sense is that if you get reported for an incident, if the other player takes any time of the ground for that the reported player must stay off for the same amount of time. So in this case as Cameron was reported on the spot, he would not be able to return to the field until Andrews does.

That's a pretty difficult system to game, and solves the problem of one team sniping the other so they have to play one down for the rest of the match.

Just on the red card debate, i think it would be foolish to have a send off rule ala soccer. What would make more sense is that if you get reported for an incident, if the other player takes any time of the ground for that the reported player must stay off for the same amount of time. So in this case as Cameron was reported on the spot, he would not be able to return to the field until Andrews does.

That's a pretty difficult system to game, and solves the problem of one team sniping the other so they have to play one down for the rest of the match.

What if on grand final day Dustin Martin bumps into your worst player, gets reported and you then exaggerate their injury to keep Dusty off the ground?

What if on grand final day Dustin Martin bumps into your worst player, gets reported and you then exaggerate their injury to keep Dusty off the ground?

That's a positive, right? After all everyone's watching the World Cup. :p

I feel like its pretty rare for an umpire to report a player on the ground unless it is clearly a reportable offence. Generally things are found by the MRP after the game.

Personally due to how rarely I think that opportunities for that to actually happen occur I am okay with it. But if you want to make the system more complicated have an AFL Doctor there to decide if the damage by the reportable offence is enough to keep the player from the ground or not.

I feel like its pretty rare for an umpire to report a player on the ground unless it is clearly a reportable offence. Generally things are found by the MRP after the game.

Personally due to how rarely I think that opportunities for that to actually happen occur I am okay with it. But if you want to make the system more complicated have an AFL Doctor there to decide if the damage by the reportable offence is enough to keep the player from the ground or not.

Yeah we're closer to removing match day reports to introducing red cards anyway.

This year it feels like the reverse. Match day reports get tossed upon review because of staging (well, technically not staging but "exaggeration") fooling the on-ground umpire but the review shows insufficient force.

I watched Cutler closely tonight. He is three quarters the way to being a star but it is whether he can find the other quarter. Some of his moments are excellent but his whole body of work in each game mostly ends up being nothing more than solid. He is good, but not yet consistently so.

Cutler's game against Essendon was diabolically bad, both with and without the ball, but he was pretty solid on Saturday, closer to what he produced in some of the earlier games (Suns, Hawks). Good to see him bounce back.

Injury due to reportable offence should be an immediate 200m free kick.
If sustained in the first half, and the affected player cannot return, then an emergency is allowed to suit up. (Not the sub at a whim s**t they trialled). We should have been able to replace Andrews on the day, rather than red card Cameron. I think a send off rule is too hard, particularly when it relies on the discretionary decision making abilities of umpires. They can't adjudicate on correct disposal properly, it would unfairly cost games, and they can't be allowed or expected to be judge, jury and executioner, otherwise there would be no referral for reports.

Cutler's game against Essendon was diabolically bad, both with and without the ball, but he was pretty solid on Saturday, closer to what he produced in some of the earlier games (Suns, Hawks). Good to see him bounce back.
Cutler’s ability is without question and once he finds consistency, I think he will be our most damaging player but Tom’s biggest challenge is finding that consistency.

Injury due to reportable offence should be an immediate 200m free kick.

Geez, it's going to be hard to kick some of the goals from outside the Gabba. :(

Back